Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta - To Return?

Haydn24

Hi all, we recently purchased a 67 plate fiesta with 5,000 miles on the clock from a TrustFord branch. It's a 1.1 TI-VCT. Only had it over a week and have noticed the engine vibrates a lot more than I'd expect. This can't be normal with this model, surely? To add to that, when I went to accelerate up an incline earlier, there was a significant vibration/shaking from the engine that came through the dash. I wouldn't expect either of these from a 5k car!

Finally, when pulling onto the driveway, there was a knocking coming from the front end (potentially CV joint/suspension related).

We're considering taking it back over the weekend and potentially asking for a refund under the relevant laws/rights.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

Yes, I think the short answer is take it back in and raise your concerns.

Forgive the slightly convoluted reasoning here. I've not driven a Fiesta with your non-turbo engine but have driven several of the VW equivalents (also my Mrs has one) and refinement is quite acceptable. All the tests I've seen on your car say it's refinement is (or should be!) superior to the VW offerings - hope that makes sense!

Certainly what you describe, particularly the knocking, vibration and shaking doesn't sound at all right and I would suspect previous damage.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by refinement? I'll see if I can upload a video later to describe it better

So with the first video, you can hear it better from about 16 seconds.

I mean noise level and vibration. Difficult to tell from your clips unfortunately. My ecoboost sounds like a bag of nuts and bolts with the bonnet open and the engine jumps about all over the place. From inside it's very quiet and feels very smooth.

If you are getting the same sort of rattles inside the car and feeling vibration that doesn't sound right.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is any better. Phone probably won't pick it up perfectly. But I've got a 17 plate 1.0 ecoboost with 15k more miles than this...doesn't sound anything like this.

But yes, you can feel that vibration/rattle in the car. Very noticeable in the seat.

Is it worth taking to another garage in the morning and getting their thoughts on it? I'm half expecting the dealer to want a second independent opinion 

No, unfortunately I'm not at home and can't get anything on my phone either!

If you've got a 22,000 mile ecoboost as a comparison it shouldn't be any worse, particularly as the Mk 8 is generally agreed to be quieter/smoother than the previous version - was this issue not noticeable when you test drove it?

The first port of call is definitely TrustFord where you bought the car. They may have another car you could try to see if the noise/vibration is normal (though it doesn't sound like it), and you need to raise the knocking issue with them also. Don't know if you were given any additional warranty, but a 67 plate is still under 3 year manufacturer warranty of course.

I can't remember it for sure, but we didn't do much idling as traffic was fairly decent. Im sure if I did then I would have flagged it. Didn't take out additional warranty so acting quickly while we've got the back up of the consumer rights law!

• Like 1

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Found this review of the car, which does make mention of it being a little "gruffer" than the turbocharged version and the 3 cylinder format being "more noticeable" - not much help I'm afraid!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/fiesta/first-drives/ford-fiesta-11-zetec-2017-review

Found this which may be of interest - no commentary, just car noise. Sounds ok to me!

(Back home now, took the opportunity to listen to your videos on a bigger device, it does sound rather noisy to me and a lot louder than the above seems to be.)

I took it to a couple of garages yesterday morning and they had a look under the bonnet whilst it was running. Said it was moving about a bit excessively, but they can sound like that due to the 3 cylinders. It was moving the airbox quite a bit too which was causing the main rattling sound in the cabin I found. Went back to Ford about it and it's booked in for Tuesday. Not sure what they'll do about it, but they better sort it

• Like 1