Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Carplay Issues

DaveT70

Is anybody having issues with Carplay on their MK4?

Mine is disconnecting itself after 2-5 minutes.

I purchased a new lead, checked for a "fluffy hole" on the iPhone and even tried the Mrs' iPhone in and it's still doing it.

I have no problem but sometimes it’s a little slow to start up. Is It a original cable. Some time bad cables can’t provide enough power. 

I had to change cables , Auto Android was often cutting out. I’ve just activated the WiFi today too so not sure if it was the new cable or the WiFi , gave google maps a good 30 minute test tonight , didn’t cut out once. 

Samsung

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 8:10 AM, DaveT70 said:

I'll try my genuine iPhone cable then I think, thanks

How u getting on with Apple CarPlay? I’ve got a Samsung s5 so got Android Auto. Also google play thinking it’d work best with AA. It’s crap , takes 5 mins just to get started, touchscreen is often unresponsive. Sometimes plays a requested song but shows an album cover from another artist. Whole thing freezes often. I’m contemplating getting an iPhone, Apple CarPlay and changing to Apple music. I find Sync3 works well, I’m glad I got the X st line as it has Ford Navigation. Google maps is good on AA but has frozen a few times. Would you recommend Apple CarPlay?

On 11/12/2019 at 8:00 AM, Krider said:

I have no problem but sometimes it’s a little slow to start up. Is It a original cable. Some time bad cables can’t provide enough power. 

I’m on Android but had to change cable for Android Auto, which doesn’t work well.  Would a shorter cable make a difference?

I read somewhere Apple Carplay is going to be or already is wireless. Is this true ? And will sync3 be compatible with that? 

On 12/14/2019 at 4:38 PM, Alex.S said:

How u getting on with Apple CarPlay? I’ve got a Samsung s5 so got Android Auto. Also google play thinking it’d work best with AA. It’s crap , takes 5 mins just to get started, touchscreen is often unresponsive. Sometimes plays a requested song but shows an album cover from another artist. Whole thing freezes often. I’m contemplating getting an iPhone, Apple CarPlay and changing to Apple Music. I find Sync3 works well, I’m glad I got the X st line as it has Ford Navigation. Google maps is good on AA but has frozen a few times. Would you recommend Apple CarPlay?

Working perfectly with a genuine Apple cable now, thanks.

A lot of the guys with Android OS complain that A'Auto isn't very good.

Carplay, on the other hand, is fantastic

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Working perfectly with a genuine Apple cable now, thanks.

A lot of the guys with Android OS complain that A'Auto isn't very good.

Carplay, on the other hand, is fantastic

I have not had any major issues with carplay it is sometimes a little flaky depending on when I plug my phone in during the car start up process and it gets a little confused but does sort itself quick enough.

The only annoyance I have is that the audio source is automatically changed when using Waze to the phone rather than keeping it on DAB or whatever was previously selected, dont think that is an apple issue more a Waze issue.

4 hours ago, focustitanium12 said:

I have not had any major issues with carplay it is sometimes a little flaky depending on when I plug my phone in during the car start up process and it gets a little confused but does sort itself quick enough.

The only annoyance I have is that the audio source is automatically changed when using Waze to the phone rather than keeping it on DAB or whatever was previously selected, dont think that is an apple issue more a Waze issue.

Mine doesn't do that, must be a Waze setting issue

Either of you using a music streaming app? I’m going to change to Apple, thinking Apple music if it works well? 

One thing that annoys me is (as far as I can tell) I can’t stream music and use the built in Ford Navigation at same time! 

17 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Either of you using a music streaming app? I’m going to change to Apple, thinking Apple Music if it works well? 

Spotify is brilliant on Carplay

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to get satellite view on Apple Maps on Apple CarPlay? 

I can get it on my phone but not on Carplay . 

4 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Is it possible to get satellite view on Apple Maps on Apple CarPlay? 

I can get it on my phone but not on Carplay . 

Not tried to be honest, I know you can on Google Maps in CarPlay.

Waze works fine with Android Auto, but after trying it out on a 40 minute trip I reverted back to the built in Sat Nav. Maps are so much nicer (Not tried Google Maps yet)

Android Auto did not work well for me. Google maps was ok on it but would often freeze or take few minutes to start. I had google music also but had similar issues with it too.

Now on Apple CarPlay with Apple music and Apple maps. Works better for me. 

my Concern regarding google maps is will hey google take over the Apple CarPlay Siri assistant? I much prefer Siri cause it understands my Scottish accent better! Works better all round in my case. 

On 12/31/2019 at 3:38 PM, CallMeSteven said:

Waze works fine with Android Auto, but after trying it out on a 40 minute trip I reverted back to the built in Sat Nav. Maps are so much nicer (Not tried Google Maps yet)

If your Android Auto works well you’ll find google maps is excellent. 

I agree the Ford Navigation is very good. 

11 hours ago, Alex.S said:

If your Android Auto works well you’ll find google maps is excellent. 

I agree the Ford Navigation is very good. 

Thanks, I'll give it a try

21 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Android Auto did not work well for me. Google maps was ok on it but would often freeze or take few minutes to start. I had google music also but had similar issues with it too.

Now on Apple CarPlay with Apple Music and Apple maps. Works better for me. 

my Concern regarding google maps is will hey google take over the Apple CarPlay Siri assistant? I much prefer Siri cause it understands my Scottish accent better! Works better all round in my case. 

Apple CarPlay will use Siri exclusively and just because your using Google Maps wont make any difference.

• Like 1

I'm also having issues with Android Auto, I have one of these cables and sometimes it's fine but other times it's like the phone has disconnected. So It'll be in AA, and displaying Google maps and then go back to stock Sync, then it goes back into AA, and keeps repeating over and over.

I've tried another cable (different make) and the USB underneath the head unit, not tried another phone.

I also went into AA on the phone, and set it up again, and I made sure to accept all permissions when plugging the phone in, and I turned off bluetooth to ensure the phone was only connected via AA through USB.

Any ideas for me to try?

Thanks

I only ever wanted music streaming and thought I needed AA or Carplay to do so. Even tho built in Navigation doesn’t run at same time as AA / CarPlay. Changed to Apple , worked well but now realise I can connect Apple music thru Bluetooth and still use Ford Navigation. 

Yes I had same issues with AA , changed to Apple . If you need one of these ie if you don’t have Ford Navigation and need google or Apple maps I’d recommend Apple CarPlay. 

On 12/16/2019 at 2:34 PM, Alex.S said:

One thing that annoys me is (as far as I can tell) I can’t stream music and use the built in Ford Navigation at same time! 

Same

5 minutes ago, Luke88 said:

Same

I’ve realised yesterday if I stream through bluetooth I can use Ford Navigation at same time. Which is great.  Not sure if when I need to plug into usb to charge my phone it’ll automatically change to google or Apple maps. Will be testing that this morning. Apple maps is alright but I prefer the built in sat nav. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club