Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have I Found A Concealed Button?

Deggles

Hi all. Im new to the forum today, joining as Im a bit concerned that I may have pressed something I shouldn't have. oops!!

A couple of days ago I bought a used Ford Focus. Its a UK, 2005, 1.6L Automatic Zetec. Whilst giving it a good clean inside today, I discovered that the circular blanking cover that goes into trim on the footwell, close to the throttle pedal and near the lower door hinge was missing. Wondering if the blanking cover had simply been forced inside at some time, I put my finger into the hole, and downwards vertically. I felt a soft rubber cap and as i pushed it I realised it felt like more like an electrical button I was pressing. Have I discovered a concealed electrical button for engine diagnostic or throttle setup perhaps? Might I have caused any problems by pressing this? The engine was running at the time. I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me what this is for. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards Deggles

Sounds like the fuel pump cut off switch....only activates if the car has crashed and cuts the fuel pump off....you would feel it 'click' when pressed. Dont worry you cant do any damage.

That's the fuel cut off switch. I'm sure it should be pushed down anyway. If all seems well with your car I can't see you having a problem.

Thanks for your quick response guys. I am wondering now why the blanking cover is missing. Perhaps it has been necessary to reset the pump at some time, ie maybe the care was involved in an accident?

Thanks anyway.

Kind regards,

Deggles.

Thanks for your quick response guys. I am wondering now why the blanking cover is missing. Perhaps it has been necessary to reset the pump at some time, ie maybe the care was involved in an accident?

Thanks anyway.

Kind regards,

Deggles.

Can't really say on that, I've never seen it on a new shape Focus. On my mk1 it's just a small hole (can barely get my finger in it) in the pillar concealing the door hinges. I never had a cover for it, assumed it didn't have one. :huh:

I am wondering now why the blanking cover is missing. Perhaps it has been necessary to reset the pump at some time, ie maybe the care was involved in an accident?

I would not worry unduly about it being in an accident. Maybe it had what was possibly perceived to be fuel starvation problem in the past. And somebody maybe suggested checking that the Fuel Reset switch had some how trip out. hence they pressed it.

Welcome to the Forum

Thanks to all for your speed and informative responses. Now I know what it is, I've been able to look it up and find it in the owners handbook.

Cheers Guys

Deggles.