Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drumming noise from tyres ?

Matt Alsop

Hi, I have a Fiesta Red Edition year 2017 on 22K miles with original set of Continental tyres. I've noticed recently a drumming noise which seems to be coming from the tyres which can only be heard between 25mph and 45mph. I don't know which corner of the car the noise comes from. At slower speed or motorway speed there is no noise (and there's no vibration at any speed). The original tyres are 70% worn and at the weekend I swapped the wheels from front to back to even out the tyre wear so I can change all four at once late next year. Since moving the wheels front to back the drumming sound is much louder. Any ideas what it could be ? I do know the tyres have a direction of rotation so I've swapped the front drivers side to the rear drivers side and the same the other side so the tyres are still rotating in the correct direction. I have the black 17 inch alloys with the 205 width low profile tyres. There is no damage on the tyres that I can actually see by eye.

I have a Mondeo and could notice that sort of noise coming from the back, like you only at certain speeds.

The rear tyres were due to be changed which I did and since then no more noise.

Thanks
current car - 2012 Mondeo tit x 2.0 tdci 163 - panther black

Thanks for the reply. I've solved the mystery now and it is a damaged tyre. One of the rear tyres that I moved to the front has a damaged area near the inside side wall. Looks like it's from a pothole or something similar. There is a concave area of tread where the tyre structure has been damaged. Will get it changed.

Hi glad you found out what the noise was , have got the 17 alloys on mine and had some new tyres on  last september but didnt go for continentals.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club