Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.0 TDCi - Cleaning DPF

CALLUMLE

16 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I still don't know what could possibly get clogged up in an empty pipe...once you've removed the filter it's completely derestricted.  The only exception is the people that just smash a small hole through the centre of the DPF, instead of removing the whole lot but I don't think that's what happened to yours from the sounds of it.

Anyway, 2 of those codes are for the MAF so it would be worth checking that's still plugged in.  The other is a boost code but probably a one-off.  If the MAF is found to be faulty, that's potentially causing the smoke.

The DPF is under the car on the 2.0 so not really accessible unless you've got ramps or axle stands at the very least.

Did the garage that changed the injectors offer any thoughts or advice seeing as they were so sure it would fix the issue...?

I do see what you mean. I'm waiting on the garage to send me a picture of what they found in the DPF casing.

I have reset the codes using Forscan after running some self tests and the code I cannot clear is P1335. This didn't appear before and I believe it relates to EGR looking at the screenshot. It has only appeared since I reset the EGR Valve Adaptations. It also now states "Engine Malfunction" on the screen.

I've located the EGR and can see where it is bolted together and plugged into a wiring loom. Do you think it's worth taking out and seeing if it's gunked up or stuck open? Would this create blue smoke?

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.38.42.png

35 minutes ago, CALLUMLE said:

I do see what you mean. I'm waiting on the garage to send me a picture of what they found in the DPF casing.

I have reset the codes using Forscan after running some self tests and the code I cannot clear is P1335. This didn't appear before and I believe it relates to EGR looking at the screenshot. It has only appeared since I reset the EGR Valve Adaptations. It also now states "Engine Malfunction" on the screen.

I've located the EGR and can see where it is bolted together and plugged into a wiring loom. Do you think it's worth taking out and seeing if it's gunked up or stuck open? Would this create blue smoke?

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.38.42.png

Were you able to reset the EGR adaptions or did that procedure fail?  I would have assumed the EGR to be mapped out along with the DPF really, and if so, trying to run service procedures on it may confuse the PCM.  EGR adaptions should really only be reset when a new (or cleaned) EGR has been fitted.  I know hindsight isn't helpful now though lol.

Would also be worth checking for a blanking plate if you can see the EGR, it'll be about as think as a pound coin so easy to spot between the EGR.

A stuck open EGR (if not blanked) can cause smoke, but would also cause a noticeable lack of performance, particularly at full throttle.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Were you able to reset the EGR adaptions or did that procedure fail?  I would have assumed the EGR to be mapped out along with the DPF really, and if so, trying to run service procedures on it may confuse the PCM.  EGR adaptions should really only be reset when a new (or cleaned) EGR has been fitted.  I know hindsight isn't helpful now though lol.

Would also be worth checking for a blanking plate if you can see the EGR, it'll be about as think as a pound coin so easy to spot between the EGR.

A stuck open EGR (if not blanked) can cause smoke, but would also cause a noticeable lack of performance, particularly at full throttle.

I know I realised after I probably shouldn't clicked that test after lol. It did run fine though and reported the test as complete when done. It was after that I've had the "Engine Malfunction" message. I'm doing a 20 mile trip later so will see if it clears (wishing in hope!)

I couldn't see a blanking plate at either end of the silver pipe (where it terminates to a diamond shape) so I'm presuming it hasn't been touched. The performance is absolutely fine but quite smokey under heavier acceleration but I guess they all are at this age.

I'm going to book a half day next week when there's some sunlight so I can remove the valve and have a proper look. I'm hoping to find an absolutely caked up valve to be honest.

• Like 1

With a heavy heart I've decided just to swallow my pride and part-ex the car.

Had a look inside the EGR and there's some soot there, but it certainly doesn't look blocked. There were no blanking plates either. I've done all I can testing and inspecting to eliminate anything obvious. I rang a recommended garage and they said it's a can of worms and would be expensive.

The engine malfunction message is still present after resetting the valve adaptations so will need to figure out how to get rid of that. All I can do after that is give her a clean and get something significantly smaller and cheaper on finance 😞

Thank you too all who looked at this with me especially @TomsFocus

• Sad 2

I'm genuinely gutted for you Callum. :sad:

You could try unplugging the battery overnight to clear the EML...it's a bit of a long shot but it may work.  You'll need to reset the windows and input the radio code if you try that.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom for the suggestion -- not had chance yet as I've been ignoring it all over Christmas! Got the radio code and know the trick for resetting windows so will try it.

My father-in-law was over on Christmas day and I started it for him for his opinion. The first thing he said was it smells like diesel fuel and NOT oil. He is very into diesel trains and engines and smells diesel everyday at work. 

If it is fuel and not oil, where can I move my investigations towards? I was getting ready to take it to the dealer for a part ex on Friday 27th but him saying it is fuel being burnt off made me stop!

It wouldn't be oil unless the turbo was failing.  Very very unlikely to get head gasket or valve stem faults on these.

Everything we've been trying so far was for diesel smoke...injectors, glow plugs, EGR, MAF, boost leaks, etc all for potential overfuelling creating diesel smoke.  Get it px'd asap if that's still an option! :smile:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to We Buy Any Car tomorrow hopefully if I can keep the code at bay. I can clear it but it comes back after the 2nd restart.

In the meantime I have - for £800 - bought a 2001 Peugeot 406 HDi which although old has done far better than the Focus.

Shame to move away from Ford but this latest experience has totally put me off them after 8 years of owning them.

Sad end to the story, but I've always said that age is often irrelevant in a used car, it's all about condition. My own 15 year old Focus would rival any 1 year old in terms of condition. Bodywork is immaculate, and with an engine replacement the month before I bought it (along with clutch/brakes/timing belt etc) it runs beautifully. I hope the Peugeot gives you more pleasure than your Ford did...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CALLUMLE said:

It's going to We Buy Any Car tomorrow hopefully if I can keep the code at bay. I can clear it but it comes back after the 2nd restart.

In the meantime I have - for £800 - bought a 2001 Peugeot 406 HDi which although old has done far better than the Focus.

Shame to move away from Ford but this latest experience has totally put me off them after 8 years of owning them.

Nice!  Is that the 2.0 or 2.2?

The old 2.0HDi was utterly bulletproof until PSA let Ford near it! :laugh:  Only real issue was the crank pulley collapsing and taking out the aux belt as well as he cambelt...I bought a few belt snappers for parts back in the day! 

Decent spec on the 406s as well, climate, cruise and auto lights, wipers and mirror etc...

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2020 at 1:05 PM, TomsFocus said:

Nice!  Is that the 2.0 or 2.2?

The old 2.0HDi was utterly bulletproof until PSA let Ford near it! :laugh:  Only real issue was the crank pulley collapsing and taking out the aux belt as well as he cambelt...I bought a few belt snappers for parts back in the day! 

Decent spec on the 406s as well, climate, cruise and auto lights, wipers and mirror etc...

Nothing special... just the 2.0 HDi (90). Timing belt was changed recently and the service history is great. All vanilla and original, so I'll be getting the toothbrush out and giving it a good clean inside as well as a polish and wax (and back to black!) on the out.

Drove around 150 miles in it this week and it's been brill! Just feels like a well-loved taxi.

Still have the Focus though as the £1250 "guaranteed" price from WBAC dropped to £50 upon inspection and then up to £550 after negotiation so just stuck it on eBay

4 minutes ago, CALLUMLE said:

Still have the Focus though as the £1250 "guaranteed" price from WBAC dropped to £50 upon inspection and then up to £550 after negotiation so just stuck it on eBay. 

I too had a disappointing experience with WBAC, they also reneged on a 'guaranteed' price on my old C class Merc because they said I never told them it had an LPG conversion, even though I had email proof that they knew!  Shower of to*&$%s! Good luck with the puggie...

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

I too had a disappointing experience with WBAC, they also reneged on a 'guaranteed' price on my old C class Merc because they said I never told them it had an LPG conversion, even though I had email proof that they knew!  Shower of to*&$%s! Good luck with the puggie...

I understand it's all subject to them seeing it first hand, but the only appointment I could get was at night where the chap used a bright LED over each panel. It does has minor surface scratches/buffs but they prioritise the number of scratches not the severity.

Enjoy your Focus -- my previous one was a 2007 1.8 TDCi which I loved.

7 minutes ago, CALLUMLE said:

Nothing special... just the 2.0 HDi (90). Timing belt was changed recently and the service history is great. All vanilla and original, so I'll be getting the toothbrush out and giving it a good clean inside as well as a polish and wax (and back to black!) on the out.

Drove around 150 miles in it this week and it's been brill! Just feels like a well-loved taxi.

Still have the Focus though as the £1250 "guaranteed" price from WBAC dropped to £50 upon inspection and then up to £550 after negotiation so just stuck it on eBay. 

Excellent.  They're fantastically mappable...  Up to around 125bhp with no other mods, just need a laptop and Galletto cable, I may even still have a map for it depending on ECU code.  I couldn't leave them standard long...maps were so cheap back then too, it was the simple EDC15, not like 'modern' mid 00s cars with later ECUs lol! :biggrin: 

Surely £50 can't be right from WBAC?  I'd expect some drop but that's ridiculous! 😮 

On 1/9/2020 at 12:04 PM, TomsFocus said:

Excellent.  They're fantastically mappable...  Up to around 125bhp with no other mods, just need a laptop and Galletto cable, I may even still have a map for it depending on ECU code.  I couldn't leave them standard long...maps were so cheap back then too, it was the simple EDC15, not like 'modern' mid 00s cars with later ECUs lol! :biggrin: 

Surely £50 can't be right from WBAC?  I'd expect some drop but that's ridiculous! 😮 

WBAC evidently use the "Ryanair" approach to customers i.e. expect to get bent over big style, rather like Evans Halshaw come to think of it.  (Most of their "confirmed" reviews on Autotrader are an absolute disgrace!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

WBAC evidently use the "Ryanair" approach to customers i.e. expected to get bent over big style, rather like Evans Halshaw come to think of it.  (Most of their "confirmed" reviews on Autotrader are an absolute disgrace!)

I can't believe anyone would take £50 for their car though?  Any dealer would give you more in PX even if it's a scrapper!  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 12:08 PM, TomsFocus said:

I can't believe anyone would take £50 for their car though?  Any dealer would give you more in PX even if it's a scrapper!  

Too right, when I part ex'd my old MK4 face lift Fiesta Ghia for my MK2 Focus, I got £300 for it even though it had a noticeable misfire AND a noticeable power steering fluid leak AND the rear arches/sills were comprised of at least 40% rust! 😁

I can't imagine that anyone ever gets a sensible deal from WBAC.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

Too right, when I part ex'd my old MK4 face lift Fiesta Ghia for my MK2 Focus, I'll got £300 for it even though it had a noticeable misfire AND a noticeable power steering fluid leak AND the rear arches/sills were comprised of at least 40% rust! 😁

I can't imagine that anyone ever gets a sensible deal from WBAC.

Sensible or not, I'd still expect it to be above dealer PX!  That's basically their USP. :laugh:  Considering how long they've been going now and how much they can afford to spend on ads, they must still be getting plenty of custom from somewhere. :unsure: 

Lol, think I'd have changed marque after that Fiesta!  My Dad regularly used to get ~£300 back for scrap Mondeo's when buying another £1k Mondeo from an indy every few months lol…  I've owned around 40 cars now and never PX'd a single one yet! 😮 

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Sensible or not, I'd still expect it to be above dealer PX!  That's basically their USP. :laugh:  Considering how long they've been going now and how much they can afford to spend on ads, they must still be getting plenty of custom from somewhere. :unsure: 

Lol, think I'd have changed marque after that Fiesta!  My Dad regularly used to get ~£300 back for scrap Mondeo's when buying another £1k Mondeo from an indy every few months lol…  I've owned around 40 cars now and never PX'd a single one yet! 😮 

To be fair to Fiesta, it was really only the last year when it started to give me issues.  With it being my 1st car I wasn't aware when I bought it that Fiesta's on that generation were notorious (even by Ford standards) for rust worm.

I'd say Ford well and truly paid me back for my loyalty with my MK2 Focus, so we'll have to see where I go when she finally goes pop.  Currently I'm fancying a MK4.5 Mondy TitX Sport with the 197 BHP diesel engine.  Years ago when I used to work on the tools (building trade) I used to often get to drive the site manager's car when he wanted the van for the weekend and the MK4 (even just Zetec on standard suspension) always amazed me how it could handle more like a Focus despite being a VERY big car.

It got even better for me when one of the contract managers lent me his 2.2 TDCI Titanium X, the amount of torque that engine chucks out is mental.  It can go properly quickly when you need it to but due to the torque it can also be really relaxing to drive when you're not in a rush.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club