Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo replacement at 50k?

Caltor

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on here, so apologies if I mess up and please be gentle with me! The turbo is intermittently failing on our '16 plate Fiesta Zetec S 140PS Ecoboost 1.0. The local garage says the "penny" (wastegate valve?) that connects to the actuator is loose and will eventually break so I'm having to get a new turbo. Very roughly he reckons it's going to cost ~£500 including labour. The car has done 50k miles but my mate reckons this is early for the turbo to go. Is this a common fault? The car is out of warranty since about April this year (2019) but just wondered if there is any comeback with Ford on this or is it just one of those things?

Thanks

i read this forum all the time and the focus one. I don't recall seeing mention of turbo failure on these engines (only the problems with the coolant pipes on the turbo rusting badly and looking like they might go right through and lose coolant)

• Like 2

I've read somewhere that ford said that the wastegate actuator and rod are intentionally built with some clearance to accommodate for thermal expansion during operation, so may be what you have is not abnormal, may be the issue you have is elsewhere away from the turbo, I agree with @isetta that I've never heard of turbo failures on those engines, this 1.0 ecoboost is here in Egypt since 2015 on the Focus, up till now not a single turbo failure issues the dealer has received, knowing that the driving conditions and the weather here in Egypt are harder than Europe, so these turbos are extremely reliable.

• Like 1

Thank you both. I originally took my car into the local garage as I could hear a sort of rasping noise although everything seemed to be performing normally. It sounded like the exhaust was blowing to me but a colleague stood outside and said it sounded like it was coming from the front. The mechanic diagnosed a rattling wastegate valve I think (he said they call it a "penny" as it looks like one). He said it would be OK for a while and I could just run with it until it got worse or went altogether. On driving away though the turbo wasn't working at all and it felt very sluggish. Took it back and the mechanic said he would move the actuator back (I think he had messed with it whilst diagnosing the problem) and it was OK for the rest of the day. But the turbo wasn't working again the next day, Now it keeps losing turbo power intermittently for no rhyme or reason. There are no warning lights or anything but the car just has no oomph in it. Odd. Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet anyway so it's booked in for a new turbo on tomorrow afternoon.

I'm guessing there is no manufacturer liability for this once it's out of warranty?

• Like 1

Doubt you will get anything warranty wise, being over 6 months past the 3 year mark.

Three years and only 50k miles? It is reasonable to expect an engine's turbo to last longer than that. Ford would have some legal liability even though the warranty has expired.

40 minutes ago, JanWebster said:

Three years and only 50k miles? It is reasonable to expect an engine's turbo to last longer than that. Ford would have some legal liability even though the warranty has expired.

Can try but I wouldn't hold my breath.

50k miles but you don't know how those 50k miles have been driven, neither would Ford....

• Like 1

I would make sure it is the turbo at fault and not the recirc diaphragm as these are known to split.

• Like 1

ford has warned against trying to adjust the wastegate rod , as you will not be able to readjust it again according to factory specs, now that's another problem actually.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, iantt said:

I would make sure it is the turbo at fault and not the recirc diaphragm as these are known to split.

I’ve read of lots of these going also. 

15 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

ford has warned against trying to adjust the wastegate rod , as you will not be able to readjust it again according to factory specs, now that's another problem actually.

Do you have a reference for that please? Do you think the mechanic might have actually broken my turbo then?!? 😳

7 hours ago, Caltor said:

Do you have a reference for that please? Do you think the mechanic might have actually broken my turbo then?!? 😳

I remember there was a service manual for the 1.0 ecoboost engine available on the internet, its in german, but I used google translator to translate it paragraph by paragraph, I recall reading about this warning in that manual, I will search for it again , with any luck I will post it here 🙂 

for instance, this link (motor magazine) contains information about the ecoboost operation, you will find this paragraph in the article

" A threaded rod connects the diaphragm to the valve, and although the rod has an adjusting nut, it’s not adjustable. The rod comes from the factory with a painted cage over the adjusting nut. If the cage is missing, or if the paint is disturbed, someone has tried to adjust it, and the entire turbo must be replaced, since the wastegate and rod are not serviced separately. ".

and here is the link for the article

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/dissecting-fords-ecoboost-engine/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks for that Ahmad. I've just spoken with the local garage and have agreed for them to replace the turbo. However the mechanic (incidentally the same one who I suspect adjusted the rod that might have broken the turbo) wants to take it home tonight as he says he needs to put 100 miles on it to test it. I'm not keen on him taking it home (for various reasons) but he says he won't let me have the car unless I sign something to say there is no warranty. Is this normal? Is it even legal? Sounds like he wants me to waive my statutory rights. I have said he can take it offsite for a test drive during the day but he says he hasn't got time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't know what the rules are in UK , but for instance here in Egypt, If I went to Ford dealer to change the tubo ( or anything else ) , you will have warranty on it for 20k kilometers or one year , and if there are any tests required they will be done onsite, no body is allowed to take it home, this is against rules, and I think this is the case everywhere, DO NOT ALLOW your car to be taken home by nobody, and its illegal also that he makes you sign for a no warranty , its illegal at least here in Egypt, and I think this is the case in UK and everywhere, I'm suspicious about this garage and that mechanic actually, its not a matter of trust that he may replace something in your car without your knowledge, its just illegal, and that's all 🙂 

• Like 2

and also, the initial run in procedures for a new turbo, they should be done onsite, and if there are other run in procedures that has to be done, you will be given the needed instructions to do so, just like a new car with a new engine run in procedures, you do it without the need for the car to be taken to his home, and without voiding your warranty also 

• Like 2

by the way, did you know what was the main issue with the turbo , what has failed exactly in it ? and what can be the cause ?

8 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

by the way, did you know what was the main issue with the turbo , what has failed exactly in it ? and what can be the cause ?

I took it in originally as I could hear a rattling/rasping sound from the front of the car. The mechanic diagnosed a loose wastegate valve, but also said in passing that he had moved the actuator rod and held the wastegate valve shut as part of his investigations. He said I could leave it be but it would eventually fail and require a new turbo. However when I picked it up, I could immediately tell the turbo wasn't working as it was so sluggish. I took it back and he said "oh has it gone already" and I said "I don't know but it's very sluggish". He then said he would move the actuator back and when I collected it later on it was OK for the rest of the day. However since then it has been only working intermittently so I bit the bullet and gave them the go-ahead to replace it. I'm now wondering whether his "investigations" are what actually broke it or at least finished it off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caltor said:

I took it in originally as I could hear a rattling/rasping sound from the front of the car. The mechanic diagnosed a loose wastegate valve, but also said in passing that he had moved the actuator rod and held the wastegate valve shut as part of his investigations. He said I could leave it be but it would eventually fail and require a new turbo. However when I picked it up, I could immediately tell the turbo wasn't working as it was so sluggish. I took it back and he said "oh has it gone already" and I said "I don't know but it's very sluggish". He then said he would move the actuator back and when I collected it later on it was OK for the rest of the day. However since then it has been only working intermittently so I bit the bullet and gave them the go-ahead to replace it. I'm now wondering whether his "investigations" are what actually broke it or at least finished it off.

that what actually worries me , because ford says that the wastegate valve and rod are initially built with some clearance to give a room for thermal expansion when it becomes hot, and its ok for the rod to rattle a little bit , there was a TSB regarding that, now I'm afraid that he mis-diagnosed the issue and messed around with the ( non-adjustable rod ) only to make it worse !!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

that what actually worries me , because ford says that the wastegate valve and rod are initially built with some clearance to give a room for thermal expansion when it becomes hot, and its ok for the rod to rattle a little bit , there was a TSB regarding that, now I'm afraid that he mis-diagnosed the issue and messed around with the ( non-adjustable rod ) only to make it worse !!

I know! Hard to prove though but I'm seriously tempted to ask for compensation or start a court claim against them once I get the car back.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My fiesta is in the same position. In September engine malfunction warning light came on, I was told they changed the solenoid. £500. Now 3 weeks ago the same thing has happened again, they say now the 

turbo booster itself has gone. So have to have it changed, amazingly I asked if it was still under warranty, but told it’s a different part. Not impressed with Ford so far

I guess the solenoid is still under warranty but as the turbo has now failed, this being a different part, won't be under warranty if the car is over 3 years old. You didn't mention the year of the vehicle. I am not sure what you are not impressed with Ford about.

• 6 months later...

I have just had my turbo replaced on my Fiesta Ecoboost at a cost of £1050.

The car had only 26000 miles on the clock.

Not a happy bunny!!!!

Wow that’s mad money you could get a hybrid turbo for that 😬😂🚀

didn’t fancy going for a low mileage turbo or refurbished turbo ? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club