Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st and 2nd gear + steering

mrmetallica

been having problems now and again with 1st and 2nd gear ill be driving along when i want to changed to 2nd or 1st it wont go in its really hard to get with force it will go in i push it from 1st to 2nd and it frees up what is it any ideas ?

also today was out was going to park up when i tried to turn the wheel left it was stiff i thought the engine had stalled but no turning right was easy as it should be left was hard ?

21 minutes ago, HighHo said:

Does it do it when stationary? From 3rd to 1st does it do it?

ill have to try. it does it when driving then goes the steering has only happened once i could turn to th right but very stiff to the left that was stationary i thought the car had stalled.

i cant understand how the pump can work one way and not the other ?

Going to 1st, is it an IB5 box? If it's the 5 speed from the mk2.5 then just check the gearbox fluid, it may need a bit of a top up. Mine used to be a right pain for it at times but a top up helped somewhat.. (Add to that I had a selector seal leak for a while which didn't help!)

The proper cure for it for me was a new clutch. I've had a few cars with these gearboxes and can say outright that in my experience, the 'problem' is there regardless due to the design, however a properly fitted clutch will turn that on its head. I've had a few clutches put in with different results, and brand mattered. Transmech never meshed, changes were hard in a few gears, but most common across the board were 1st and reverse (which is logical for the design.).

Luk was as good as oem, the drop to 1st was still a little harder at times, but that was about normal really. The real change was a Valeo kit, that made every change absolutely butter smooth, but there is alot to be said for who installs it and how much they actually pay attention, even bolting up everything a little too harsh can have an effect.

Nothing to scare, just my experiences.

Steering wise, I only ever had that on certain camber in the road, if it was just the once and hasn't repeated it could be something particular to that specific place and time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WireyWhenWet said:

Going to 1st, is it an IB5 box? If it's the 5 speed from the mk2.5 then just check the gearbox fluid, it may need a bit of a top up. Mine used to be a right pain for it at times but a top up helped somewhat.. (Add to that I had a selector seal leak for a while which didn't help!)

The proper cure for it for me was a new clutch. I've had a few cars with these gearboxes and can say outright that in my experience, the 'problem' is there regardless due to the design, however a properly fitted clutch will turn that on its head. I've had a few clutches put in with different results, and brand mattered. Transmech never meshed, changes were hard in a few gears, but most common across the board were 1st and reverse (which is logical for the design.).

Luk was as good as oem, the drop to 1st was still a little harder at times, but that was about normal really. The real change was a Valeo kit, that made every change absolutely butter smooth, but there is alot to be said for who installs it and how much they actually pay attention, even bolting up everything a little too harsh can have an effect.

Nothing to scare, just my experiences.

Steering wise, I only ever had that on certain camber in the road, if it was just the once and hasn't repeated it could be something particular to that specific place and time.

its just a mk2 fl 1.6 it is 5 gear ive had the clutch done it started shortly after that they said they had replace the fluid maybe ill get them to check it steering maybe it was just where i was maybe hopefully

Maybe they put the wrong gear oil in?  It does make a big difference surprisingly.

As for the steering...you weren't a bit close to the kerb were you?  I've done it myself in the past, parked so close that I then couldn't steer to get out when another car parked tight in front!

1 hour ago, mrmetallica said:

its just a mk2 fl 1.6 it is 5 gear ive had the clutch done it started shortly after that they said they had replace the fluid maybe ill get them to check it steering maybe it was just where i was maybe hopefully

Please tell me the clutch wasn't made by "Transmech", if so, you might as well have got the garage to fit a grouting sponge instead of a new clutch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

Please tell me the clutch wasn't made by "Transmech", if so, you might as well have got the garage to fit a grouting sponge instead of a new clutch.

dont know what they fitted to be honest

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Maybe they put the wrong gear oil in?  It does make a big difference surprisingly.

As for the steering...you weren't a bit close to the kerb were you?  I've done it myself in the past, parked so close that I then couldn't steer to get out when another car parked tight in front!

no kerbs no

I would be hopeful that it's a nice simple one such as low or slightly wrong tranny oil more than anything, thos mistakes are pretty easy to make and again pretty easy to correct as well which would be nice.

I don't like tarnishing names but Transmech clutches are the cash cow for smaller garages and ECP's (Euro Car Parts) easiest money spinner as by contrast to other brands they're extremely cheap, and as most know, clutches are never really cheap so the average punter is more likely to relish the savings.. Or profits for your average garage.

They're a very cheap pattern part kit which really is made to the lowest price point that allows it to function. They may make other items, but I will never give a second look to that brand for clutch kits.

Like many, I've been there, I specifically requested ANYTHING other than Transmech. I got in the car it was clearly harder to engage then when the clutch was bad. I was given the paper work where I found it to be a TM, and then fobbed off by the garage as it's a fully functioning clutch for all intents and purposes...  It got removed less than a year later for free after it went further.

So yeah if you have a receipt for work done you will have a part number at least which you could punch in to your favourite search engine?

It's all just a hunch but like I said fingers crossed its nothing as bad as mine was if it is a TM, and then I also hope it's something really minor for you in any regard!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WireyWhenWet said:

I would be hopeful that it's a nice simple one such as low or slightly wrong tranny oil more than anything, thos mistakes are pretty easy to make and again pretty easy to correct as well which would be nice.

I don't like tarnishing names but Transmech clutches are the cash cow for smaller garages and ECP's (Euro Car Parts) easiest money spinner as by contrast to other brands they're extremely cheap, and as most know, clutches are never really cheap so the average punter is more likely to relish the savings.. Or profits for your average garage.

They're a very cheap pattern part kit which really is made to the lowest price point that allows it to function. They may make other items, but I will never give a second look to that brand for clutch kits.

Like many, I've been there, I specifically requested ANYTHING other than Transmech. I got in the car it was clearly harder to engage then when the clutch was bad. I was given the paper work where I found it to be a TM, and then fobbed off by the garage as it's a fully functioning clutch for all intents and purposes...  It got removed less than a year later for free after it went further.

So yeah if you have a receipt for work done you will have a part number at least which you could punch in to your favourite search engine?

It's all just a hunch but like I said fingers crossed its nothing as bad as mine was if it is a TM, and then I also hope it's something really minor for you in any regard!

the clutch works fine feels good cost me £850 i think it was they are a good garage been happy with them so far might have words

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

the clutch works fine feels good cost me £850 i think it was they are a good garage been happy with them so far might have words

That's good to hear, 850 sounds pretty steep though. I don't mean to pry but was that to have just a clutch and cylinder done? As long as its working good then that's a great sign though; hard to put an price on happiness at a working car, sometimes paying a bit more definitely is worth it for peace of mind and a job well done - forgive my 'frugal' nature 😅

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WireyWhenWet said:

That's good to hear, 850 sounds pretty steep though. I don't mean to pry but was that to have just a clutch and cylinder done? As long as its working good then that's a great sign though; hard to put an price on happiness at a working car, sometimes paying a bit more definitely is worth it for peace of mind and a job well done - forgive my 'frugal' nature 😅

£850 IS steep for a 2 piece clutch, my trusted local can fit a LUK clutch kit, LUK CSC and LUK DMF for that price!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol...you Northerners realise mrmetallica lives in London right!? :laugh:   

LOL, I always forget the "Southerner tax" 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol...you Northerners realise mrmetallica lives in London right!? :laugh:   

Hah, yeah a fair and valid point!

I just read that in the office and had a chuckle, then the only southerner here piped up and just topped it off, sparked an entirely new debate for the day 😅

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club