Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Light Refurb Mk6

SenorC77

Morning All,

Having just picked up my FILs old mk6 as my sons first car I'm giving it a bit of a once over.  Mechanically its great for its age but needs some attention in other areas, one of those being the head lights.  The lenses are a bit cloudy and the bulbs don't seem all that bright or to throw the light very far down the road so I'd like to change the bulbs and clean the lenses too if possible.

So putting my hand up as a bulb luddite what would be a good improvement on the standard main bulbs (472 H4's?), maybe something along the lines of Philips X-Treme or Osram Nightbreakers?  Also I'd like to replace all the bulbs while I'm at it so what other bulbs would I need please?

In terms of the lenses themselves, what can be done to clean them up?

TIA

You can get a lens refurb kit on eBay, basically a polishing bit for your drill and paste to clear it up.

I used a lens polishing kit on my old Fiesta and ended up making them worse!

I think you need to give it allot of time and prep to get them to come out good, and i was rushing to be fair.

Try refurbing the lights before putting new bulbs in, may not be required. Plus you don't want to be putting bulbs in that are too bright for the reflectors to handle and dazzle everyone in front of you all the time!

I used the Autoglym kit on mine, and made a clear (excuse pun!) improvement to the lenses.  Think about coating them with anti UV when you have finished.  Agree with Steve above, take your time, as for bulbs, I have tried a number of brighter bulbs in both my Puma, and Fiesta - there appears top be a trade off with life being shorter, and if one goes you really need a matching pair, and getting the offside lamp assembly in and out is not the easiest.  

Check my build topic here. Near the bottom of the page I showed how I did my headlights 

bulbs I'd probably go with the Xtreme vision bulbs and go get some autobeam LED Bulbs for all around the car. Recommend their performance range bulbs which are super bright. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club