Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Project - Help needed to upgrade to SYNC 3 from BT/VC non-SYNC

JPW

@Luke_Anderson @JW1982 @Phil21185 and not to mention everyone else, first of all a huge thanks to you all for posting details of how to upgrade SYNC 1 to SYNC 2/3 systems.

There is already a huge amount of information at my fingertips, however I have some specific questions around my project and need a little help.

Luke, I read in another thread that you did a non-SYNC to SYNC 3 and that's exactly what I am looking for. Here is my current set up:

• 2012 Focus Titanium Navigator
  • 5" Screen with Sony Head Unit (9 speaker) and Sat Nav
  • DAB, Bluetooth and Voice Control (non-SYNC)
  • Reverse camera
  • USB and Line-In sockets in the centre armrest / stowaway

All OEM stuff. Looks like my car build just missed out on SYNC 1.

Pictures attached.

IMG_20191119_172658.thumb.jpg.7b289cb49c8cee211f8106bd7cab97de.jpg     IMG_20191119_173255.thumb.jpg.f5bcc35fb6dcbe4d314d70b4af762010.jpg

IMG_20191119_173606.thumb.jpg.9ab2005d69e305ecce7f5173dbee3666.jpg

IMG_20191119_173504.thumb.jpg.1cf528706bb18eaea787291cf89dcf61.jpg 

IMG_20191119_173614.thumb.jpg.70789d252978201f90278cec617a306c.jpg

IMG_20191119_173805.thumb.jpg.72668655d0c3a1c7f9922b0d14b9ab4a.jpg     IMG_20191119_173521.thumb.jpg.18ae68664df333fcad5c365d5036c236.jpg

IMG_20191119_173623.thumb.jpg.892120180c7b0ac3f6f5d649c923c05e.jpg      IMG_20191119_173801.jpg

I am aware that I will need  to replace everything from my current setup, and am aware of the cost of the SYNC 3 components etc, so I just need some pointers...

Can anyone help me with the parts I need to upgrade from non-SYNC to SYNC 3?

The main questions I have are:

1. Looking online at the other threads it appears there is a 54-pin SYNC connector but my car doesn't seem to have anything with that many wires in, just the one you see in IMG_20191119_173614.jpg which is around 24 wires. What is this other connector required for the SYNC 3 unit?
  2. Will my DAB, sat nav, reverse camera and steering controls still work? Do I need specific part numbers when purchasing?
  3. My current screen has the blue (gps), pink (camera?), grey(?) and yellow(?) fakra connectors - do I still use these for SYNC 3?
  4. Any idea what the taped up grey connector (in IMG_20191119_173606.jpg) is?
  5. The black/red connector in IMG_20191119_173623.jpg connects to the Sony front audio control panel (incl hazard and lock buttons) - is that still the same

Most of the existing SYNC 1 to 2/3 threads have wiring diagrams and other bits but since I don't have SYNC 1 to start with, it's tricky to get a starting point on what I need to do.

I am familiar with FORScan and software programming too so I'm comfortable messing with that as required.

I'll be forever in debt for your help in assisting with this project!

Thanks,

James

Hi James, 

I think you may have misunderstood but sadly I haven’t been involved in any upgrades from a non sync system to sync 3 I am just aware that it has been done. 
What this will boil down to will be time, money and how far you are prepared to go. The easiest course to take will be installing a complete dash loom from a sync equipped car. And then making the changes outlined in the guide. As you have reverse camera and sat nav already there will be some modifications likely required to keep everything else working as it should.

It’s a big task and one i would be happy to assist you with 👍🏻

Luke, Thanks for replying so quickly. I am sure I saw a post saying you helped a friend go from non SYNC to SYNC 3. My bad.

So, the dash loom from a SYNC vehicle, where is it fed from? I mean, I could source one but what does it actually connect to?

Is it possible I have it present behind my existing AC unit where SYNC 1 units used to be? As mentioned my car just missed out on SYNC it appears but you never know.

I am up for the challenge if it can be done!

Thanks

James

Something like this?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Dash-Wiring-Loom-Harness-Back-Sat-Nav-Complete-Plugs-2016-Mk3-14-17/153595706031

It's for a newer focus so I guess I need to know if it would be compatible... the SYNC 54 pin connector where do the wires that feeds that come from? Is this different to the large connector block that goes in to the back of the stereo for the Speakers connections etc?

Thanks

James

@Luke_AndersonI've been offered a complete SYNC 3 audio system from a 2016 Focus including the screen, modules, media hub and loom for £400 from a local breakers yard. Inc 6 month warranty. I think I'm gonna go for that provided someone can confirm this is actually doable from a non-SYNC car with a bit of work around the wiring?

Thanks!

James

Even if it isn't, the system is probably worth about £250 more than what you've been offered it at...

Thanks!

How can I determine if it would work in my car based on my current setup/wiring? Is there anything I can do to find out?

Thanks

James

The problem with using a dash loom from a facelift car is that although the stereo wiring will be pretty much sorted the a/c wiring is vastly different and as you have heated seats as well that wont help matters. However if thats whats available you can go down the route of unpicking the sync wiring from the facelift loom and adapting it to work with your existing loom. 

If you break down to the bare basics the system has power, ground, Speakers, mic, hs-can, mm-can and ms-can. All of which shouldn't be to hard to tap into if they aren't already connected.

Everything on the inside of the car runs back to the bcm in the passenger footwell so again not too many issues there.

This is a perfectly viable project that likely wont be much work to get up and running if bt/vc systems can be upgraded to sync 1 then they can be further upgraded to work with sync 2/3. 

Another thing to consider is changing the steering wheel as i believe your current wheel ( with radio controls in between the spokes ) may not be compatible.

Behind your a/c controls is your bt/vc module, this is where you find the 54pin plug however I believe although visually similar the plug is actually a different shape to the sync one.    

Looking at the 3rd picture i can see the top of the bluetooth module you have to remove the heater control to get to that and that should have the 54 connector going to it and if it is different i'm sure you can fit the cover from a sync connector to make it fit 

Great info guys. So even without SYNC I should have a 54 pin connector of some sort which I can adapt/remake to a suitable SYNC connector.

I don't have heated seats either so need to worry about that. Does the sync 3 media hub (single or double usb?) still retrofit in to the same place in the armrest, where I currently have USB and Line In (not bothered about line in). Is the media hub required at all? Can I use SYNC 3 without it? I am interested in Android Auto too.

So that leaves the Climate control/AC and steering wheel compatibility. Surely the steering controls would be very close to a SYNC 1 car so should be close to working? Regarding climate control, I have the dual zone one, and if I make a change to the temp or mode, it currently shows up on the 5" display. Is that still there on SYNC 3 or do you operate it via the touch screen?

Lastly, my current radio has a big connector block going in to it (24 / 26 pin I think). On the SYNC 3 radio, it seems to have 2 slots instead of 1 for these big connectors? Do I need both or what is that?

I already have the blue fakra GPS antenna so that's one less thing to do. Does the OEM reverse camera fakra connector go straight in the to the back of the fcdim?

Cheers 👍

The unit I've been offered has these part numbers. Are these suitable for sat nav, dab and rear camera etc? I heard there is a 32GB and an EU 64GB version...

JM5T-14G370-HNC or JM5T-14G370-GNC (whats the difference?)

GM5T-18B955-SB

Sorry for all the posts today!

Can anyone also tell me what the two big connectors on the SYNC 3 head unit/radio are for? On my current BT/VC DAB radio, it only has one big connector as per picture 5 of the original post (looks like its the bigger one on the right of the two). Is it for the media hub?

Cheers

s-l1600.jpg

@Luke_Anderson  @Phil21185 @Tezza @JW1982  I'm just wondering if you have any idea on my queries so I can proceed and order the parts.

I'm also thinking about ordering one of these as I need to get a SYNC 54 pin connector anyway. I can then remap the wiring from my existing 54 pin (non sync) APIM wires following this guide: https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=59625 (slight changes as I don' have SYNC 1 of course)

I'll duly document the installation and create a how-to to share back with the community.

Really appreciate it 👍

Depends how much you have been offered them for, if they are cheap enough it’s worth the gamble. Dive in at the deep end! 

46 minutes ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Depends how much you have been offered them for, if they are cheap enough it’s worth the gamble. Dive in at the deep end! 

Gonna go for it. I've been looking more in to it and I think its all possible, just a case of getting the wiring correct.

I had a look at the 54-pin APIM wiring that goes in to my BT/VC module today and it looks like this:

IMG_20191122_195651.thumb.jpg.06780479be5a625dce96c43b6e46024c.jpg     IMG_20191122_195743.thumb.jpg.28945c513ac41e6c8ecfb67b6defdeb1.jpg

So my remaining questions from above are:

1) On the back my existing radio (ACM) I only have one 24 pin connector:

IMG_20191122_194332.thumb.jpg.550b34343398dea29893320193f1f7e8.jpg    IMG_20191122_194357.thumb.jpg.4eb3c66bd7f42c5c51e81655d426007c.jpg

But on the back of the SYNC 3 radio unit, i has two of these type connectors:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f620c30c6d7ce946e42f84e6e5ce9755.jpg.4f8fb8ebf0fadb93a12ee695fab6527f.jpg

What is the other one for and do I need it?

2) My current 54-pin connector looks to have around 14 wires, whereas the SYNC 1 connector has 21 or so?

3) Are these the correct APIM model numbers for the EU (64GB) nav version? Does this have DAB built in? JM5T-14G370-HNC / JM5T-14G370-GNC

4) Any idea what this connector on the left is, in the passenger side behind the centre console panel?

IMG_20191122_192251.thumb.jpg.417893afb0fef63d90c7bd4c61ee91e2.jpg  IMG_20191122_192736.thumb.jpg.385a0116487e048abfc2dad458e34495.jpg

With these answers I should have enough information to move forward. Existing times and I can't wait to write a how to for everyone else who wants to convert non-SYNC over to SYNC 3.

I also have 2012 TitX non navi. I get confused around what is an early sync system and not. I upgraded my system to a nav Sony head unit and fitted a third party reversing camera. Since doing this I've been wanting to upgrade to sync 3 so I can have Android Auto but have been put off as I can't find out if my car is compatible with the sync3. 

2 hours ago, Dozz said:

I also have 2012 TitX non navi. I get confused around what is an early sync system and not. I upgraded my system to a nav Sony head unit and fitted a third party reversing camera. Since doing this I've been wanting to upgrade to sync 3 so I can have Android Auto but have been put off as I can't find out if my car is compatible with the sync3.

I believe we have the same audio setup currently. If it's 2012 its likely to not be SYNC, just bluetooth with voice control. On your steering wheel, do you have the green and red call buttons, with the volume up and down on the same bit?

As soon as I have the parts I will give it a go and detail all steps, wiring changes Inc photos.

Does anyone have the pinouts for the two ACM plugs that go in to the radio?

On 11/22/2019 at 9:59 PM, JPW said:

1) On the back my existing radio (ACM) I only have one 24 pin connector:

IMG_20191122_194332.thumb.jpg.550b34343398dea29893320193f1f7e8.jpg    IMG_20191122_194357.thumb.jpg.4eb3c66bd7f42c5c51e81655d426007c.jpg

But on the back of the SYNC 3 radio unit, i has two of these type connectors:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f620c30c6d7ce946e42f84e6e5ce9755.jpg.4f8fb8ebf0fadb93a12ee695fab6527f.jpg

What is the other one for and do I need it?

I believe the other one is for audio input from the SYNC module. 

On another note... when you do manage to get all this sorted, would you be up for selling your old ACM and FCIM? 

1 hour ago, kajeeves said:

I believe the other one is for audio input from the SYNC module. 

On another note... when you do manage to get all this sorted, would you be up for selling your old ACM and FCIM? 

But then what is the other 24 pin connector? Doesn't that come from SYNC too, or is that the "output" to Speakers etc?

Basically, I am trying to find a mapping between all the connectors I currently have and the new SYNC 3 APIM, FCIM and front fascia. Difficult to work out. Might start a new topic on that...

Regarding the sale of my existing kit, yes, I'd be up for that. I'll be sure to look after it when taking it out. Current model numbers are:

ACM: CM5T-18C815-XJ

FCIM: BM5T-18B955-DC (5" screen with NAV, DAB and reverse camera input)

What vehicle is this for? Remember these are from a 2012 Titanium Nav (Sony)

3 minutes ago, JPW said:

But then what is the other 24 pin connector? Doesn't that come from SYNC too, or is that the "output" to speakers etc?

Basically, I am trying to find a mapping between all the connectors I currently have and the new SYNC 3 APIM, FCIM and front fascia. Difficult to work out. Might start a new topic on that...

Regarding the sale of my existing kit, yes, I'd be up for that. I'll be sure to look after it when taking it out. Current model numbers are:

ACM: CM5T-18C815-XJ

FCIM: BM5T-18B955-DC (5" screen with NAV, DAB and reverse camera input)

What vehicle is this for? Remember these are from a 2012 Titanium Nav (Sony)

I'm pretty sure the 24 pin is speaker output, CAN lines, power, ground etc. 

I have a 2011 Focus with the early bluetooth/voice control. It's got nav with the 5 inch screen, just isn't the Sony system. 

Glad your going for it! 

have you studied the wiring diagrams for the 2 systems? 

12 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Glad your going for it! 

have you studied the wiring diagrams for the 2 systems? 

I have indeed. Below is my understanding, though it's taken a while to go through all the diagrams to work out where the existing wiring exists in my current car. Most of it is from either the BTVC module or FCDIM so no too bad...

image.thumb.png.0e811b6fe28649881cb6b9006cae89f2.png

The green rows are ones I'm comfortable with and feel they are correct. However there are a few I'm just not clear on. These are:

What are these "shield" wires and where do they come from in the car:

APIM 21 DME80 Alert Shield (*)
APIM 44 DME37 Shield ? (*)
APIM 45 VME37 Shield ? GREY-VIOLET

Conflicting information on 51 and 52. Some say 51 comes from old FCDIM pin 6 and 52 from 12. Others say 51/52 goes to ACM Accessory 6/19. But ACM Accessory then links to ACM Main 4 and 5? 😆:

51 VME58 Data Link + YELLOW-VIOLET
52 VME59 Data Link - YELLOW-ORANGE

Lastly, I'm struggling to find the existing HS-CAN lines in my setup. Looks like it was not used/required for the BT/VC pre-sync system. Can I just tap in to anywhere where the HS CAN + and - exist? (BCM I think is easiest / closest):

APIM 53 VDB04 HS-CAN + WHITE-BLUE
APIM 54 VDB05 HS CAN - WHITE

Where a wire goes to multiple places, i.e. APIM 23 - is it correct that it needs a splice/join? So one going in to APIM 23 and also going to ACU Accessory 12?

The good news is that I have everything in my possession to start the work now, so just finishing the master plan!

James

So I tried the switch today, and partial success... but my AC (climate control) isn't working. When I switch the car on I get a rush of the AC as if it's turning on but the AC control unit is just dead... nothing on the screen at all so no way to control the heating. Thing is, all I have done is splice in to the blue connector to get the MS-CAN pins for 16 and 17 on the sync connector. I don't see how this has been affected?

DTC in Forscan just says lost communication with HVAC.

Help! 🙂

Panic over. When I spliced the two wires from the blue AC plug I somehow reversed them so it caused the unit to not function. As soon as I figured it out it came alive.

Next questions - The unit powers on and at a glance seems to work. I tested FM, DAB and NAV.

I was able to connect my phone via bluetooth but had no audio coming out the Speakers. Any thoughts on why this may be?

With Forscan I loaded the .as file from a suitable donor VIN (one that had nav and dab, reverse cam etc) though it didn't reboot the unit so I don't think it worked properly. Is there any way to tell? When you "Load" from Forscan AS data do you then click "Write" again?

I also haven't yet made these changes in FoCccus:

123 – Audio Aux Input change the value to 01 (without)
125 – DAB Radio System change the value to 01 (without)
154 – Module USB change the value to 01 (without)
157 – bluetooth Handsfree change the value to 01 (without)
172 – Front Display change the value to 09 (DM8 with nav)
214 – ICP change the value to 09

But would you expect that to affect bluetooth volume?

Cheers

James

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club