Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 3 list of future problems at 54k

Ortiz

Hello, 

I'm wondering if it it makes financial sense to keep hold of my 12 plate mk 3 focus that has clutch whoop. 

Ive just fixed the leak in the boot last weekend and even though I had a new clutch and dmf 25k miles ago its been cheap motoring in between. 

What issues is a car likely to run into at 60k miles?. One is at 54k now and I'm wondering do I ship it on or keep it myself and fix the clutch. 

What's the issues with the gear box? How will I know if mine has the b6? 

When it the major service due on a these cars? 

Any and all info welcome. I've only been here a short time and people are already very helpful. 

Sell it, they really are awful heaps of crap.  Thought I'd just bought a bad one so bought another....that was even worse! 🤦‍♂️  Having spent a lot of time on here and the Mk3 Facebook groups, the 'good' Mk3s are definitely in the minority!

It is the B6 gearbox on these, they're another known weak point, input shaft bearings are the common failure, unrelated to clutch whoop though. 
Clutch judder is also very common, clutches in general are poor quality on the Mk3s
Air con is often broken and unrepairable due to minor untraceable gas leaks
Injectors are frequently failing even at low mileages

Interior electrical issues are common, particularly steering wheel buttons and audio faults - the worst of which is the inop horn, not only an MOT fail but obviously dangerous as it just doesn't work when you need it in emergency.

Rain leaks everywhere, boot leak is the most common (rear bumper vents, unsealed rivets and poor waterproofing around lights) but eventually the door seals fall off and leak as well

Cambelt change interval is 125k/10 years if that's what you mean by major service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Sell it, they really are awful heaps of crap.  Thought I'd just bought a bad one so bought another....that was even worse! 🤦‍♂️  Having spent a lot of time on here and the Mk3 Facebook groups, the 'good' Mk3s are definitely in the minority!

It is the B6 gearbox on these, they're another known weak point, input shaft bearings are the common failure, unrelated to clutch whoop though. 
Clutch judder is also very common, clutches in general are poor quality on the Mk3s
Air con is often broken and unrepairable due to minor untraceable gas leaks
Injectors are frequently failing even at low mileages

Interior electrical issues are common, particularly steering wheel buttons and audio faults - the worst of which is the inop horn, not only an MOT fail but obviously dangerous as it just doesn't work when you need it in emergency.

Rain leaks everywhere, boot leak is the most common (rear bumper vents, unsealed rivets and poor waterproofing around lights) but eventually the door seals fall off and leak as well

Cambelt change interval is 125k/10 years if that's what you mean by major service.

Wow, thanks for your in depth answer. 

My drivers door window has a intermittent fault with the motor. Tends to stick when fully down only at times? I spent some time googling and found a great video on YouTube of a guy who was investigating the exact same fault. He had the door card off and changed out the window motor (he actually changed out the motor and full assembly what ever you call the thing that seats the window? He did it as a matter of course) anyway, the fault was water ingress! The motor actually had water inside, he said the window seals are rubbish. I think that was around 3 or 4 hundred quid for that fix for parts alone. 

That twinned with this new clutch whoop problem he making me think. 

What do you drive now Tom's focus? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ortiz said:

Wow, thanks for your in depth answer. 

My drivers door window has a intermittent fault with the motor. Tends to stick when fully down only at times? I spent some time googling and found a great video on YouTube of a guy who was investigating the exact same fault. He had the door card off and changed out the window motor (he actually changed out the motor and full assembly what ever you call the thing that seats the window? He did it as a matter of course) anyway, the fault was water ingress! The motor actually had water inside, he said the window seals are rubbish. I think that was around 3 or 4 hundred quid for that fix for parts alone. 

That twinned with this new clutch whoop problem he making me think. 

What do you drive now Tom's focus? 

Weirdly the MK3 face lift models seem to be much better, despite being mechanically very similar.

• Like 1

I must be lucky (touch wood lol) as I've not had any problems at 60k other than having to replace the injector wiring harness and change over the coolant hoses to MK 3.5 as a matter of precaution.  My paranoia indicator is always beeping in the background though...

8 hours ago, 0shiny1 said:

I must be lucky (touch wood lol) as I've not had any problems at 60k other than having to replace the injector wiring harness and change over the coolant hoses to MK 3.5 as a matter of precaution.  My paranoia indicator is always beeping in the background though...

Why did u change the wiring harness and coolant hoses? 

Have you had no water in the boot then? Have you checked? You had it from new?

8 hours ago, Ortiz said:

His is a 1.0 EcoBoost (petrol), the coolant hose recall doesn't affect the diesels.  Injector wiring is also different, though that's not a common fault as far as I'm aware.

When the coolant hose breaks at 70mph on the 1.0 (it is when rather than if!) the engine quickly overheats and becomes scrap.  There is a recall for it, which replaces the dodgy hose for an equally dodgy hose that also breaks eventually, just in a slightly different area.  The best course of action is upgrading to the Mk3.5 hoses as above.  It doesn't affect the diesel though, so not a concern for yourself. :smile: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ortiz said:

Was running on 2 cylinders and traced the fault back to the injector harness, as Tom said though mine is a 3 cylinder petrol 1.0.  Coolant hoses are exactly how Tom explains.

Yep I have checked the boot for leaks after seeing the posts on here about it but even after lots of heavy rain my spare tire well is dry lucky for me! (touching more wood lol).

Sorry I failed to read that yours is a diesel.

• Like 2