Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus engine warning light?

muza

Hi all!

I'm new on here... as i have jus bought (yesterday) a 2003 focus ST170. (66,630 miles)

Thismorning after starting up, the engine warning light came on, and hasn't turned off since then. The car had a service on monday (2 days ago) where no major work was done. (general wear and tear, as far as I am concerned)

Has anyone had this problem so close to a service? Could it have been something that was done on the car in the service that has caused this, or did they miss something major, or should I just put it down to bad luck and accept something has gone wrong at a bad time (just after purchase!)

I have rung round to ford garages, and the cheapest price to do a diagnostic check with a computer is £60 + VAT!!

If I can put it down to the original garages fault maybe they would see what was wrong for free? I bought the car from guildfor (over an hour away) so I can't 'pop' into the garage that did the work on monday too easily...

I appreciate any advice on the matter!!

thanks

Murray

have you tried other garages that charge less (non ford), usually charge per half hour.. all you need is the code then you know what the problem is.

I thought it was only ford garages that have the computer software to check fords? or maybe i'm being very naive!..

I thought it was only ford garages that have the computer software to check fords? or maybe i'm being very naive!..

Hi. Try using the cars dashboard diagnostics to get the fault code as follows;

with the ignition off hold down the mileage tripmeter reset button,

start the car(still holding the button) and wait for a few seconds

the word " test " should then appear( now release the button)

each further press of the button with scroll through various gauge/bulb tests, temp, fuel etc.

stop when DTC appears ( diagnostic trouble codes). If any codes are stored they will be displayed, if not, " none " will be displayed.

this may not be as comprehensive as garage equipment, but its free so well worth a try. Even my mechanic mate didnt know of this function. I wonder why Fords dont put this info into the cars handbook

Hi. Try using the cars dashboard diagnostics to get the fault code as follows;

with the ignition off hold down the mileage tripmeter reset button,

start the car(still holding the button) and wait for a few seconds

the word " test " should then appear( now release the button)

each further press of the button with scroll through various gauge/bulb tests, temp, fuel etc.

stop when DTC appears ( diagnostic trouble codes). If any codes are stored they will be displayed, if not, " none " will be displayed.

this may not be as comprehensive as garage equipment, but its free so well worth a try. Even my mechanic mate didnt know of this function. I wonder why Fords dont put this info into the cars handbook

wow thanks for the tip john! unfortunately, in my hurried panic i've taken it into the garage thismorning, as it suggests in the owners' book to do so ASAP if this warning light appears.

Since yesterday i have heard of 2 of my friends having the same engine warning light in their cars, and both said it was due to spark plug and coil problems... has anyone had similar problems in the engine compartment? what would be the cheapest way to fix these problems?

Hi all!

I'm new on here... as i have jus bought (yesterday) a 2003 focus ST170. (66,630 miles)

Thismorning after starting up, the engine warning light came on, and hasn't turned off since then. The car had a service on monday (2 days ago) where no major work was done. (general wear and tear, as far as I am concerned)

Has anyone had this problem so close to a service? Could it have been something that was done on the car in the service that has caused this, or did they miss something major, or should I just put it down to bad luck and accept something has gone wrong at a bad time (just after purchase!)

I have rung round to ford garages, and the cheapest price to do a diagnostic check with a computer is £60 + VAT!!

If I can put it down to the original garages fault maybe they would see what was wrong for free? I bought the car from guildfor (over an hour away) so I can't 'pop' into the garage that did the work on monday too easily...

thanks

Murray

There is a well known problem with some 03 Focus instrument clusters, known as the 'Watch Dog' problem as it was featured on BBC Watch Dog programme in April 2008. It is associated with printed circuit board corrosion. I had the same problem which also caused random failure of speedo, rev counter, temp gauge and engine warning light. Ford main dealer will charge £35+VAT for diagnostic check and if confirmed to be the 'Watch Dog' problem they will fit a new cluster for £99. Beware that the £99 is all you should pay including VAT and the cost of the diagnosic check. My dealer tried to charge me £99+VAT on top of the £35+VAT, but after a long argument they settled at £99 all in. Visit the BBC Watch Dog web page for more details and a very useful Ford UK help line number. Good Luck.

Hi all!

thanks

Murray

Hi just joined today,

Have had same problem with my st170 engine managemaent light on after service they had serviced and changed spark plugs,apparently didn't get a lead back on correctly,they reset fault light no charge.

hope you had some luck.

• 5 years later...

I had a similar problem and the answer was very simple. The engine warning light had come on immediately after an MOT test. What had happened was that in the testing process, perhaps revving the engine, it had pulled a strong vacuum in the hose that is tucked under the inlet manifold ( 3 way hose half an inch across or so) and split it on the corner. Obviously the hose was getting old! This caused it to register unmetered air and to run lean. It showed as a sensor fault but the experience of my local garage soon had it sorted. Taped the hose as a stop gap and ordered a new one £16 odd. Worth checking the hoses!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club