Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Impulsive Car Purchases...

Incontro

As per title.

Any of you made an impulsive (cheap) car purchase before? A purchase where you already have a solid 'daily' car, but longed to buy something 'different' (e.g. convertible, track car, 90's sports coupe, an import etc.)

Say off eBay, Gumtree, or FB marketplace...

How did it go?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Incontro said:

As per title.

Any of you made an impulsive (cheap) car purchase before? A purchase where you already have a solid 'daily' car, but longed to buy something 'different' (e.g. convertible, track car, 90's sports coupe, an import etc.)

Say off eBay, Gumtree, or FB marketplace...

How did it go?

Don't know if this counts but after 2 years with my first car which was a Peugeot 107 I thought of getting something a little more powerful but as cheap to run. Came across the mk6 fiesta zetec s trims and the cheap 1.6 diesel some come with. Ticked the boxes for me which were sporty looks, cheap running costs and insurance. 

I viewed the first one in Manchester. Guy was a private trader. In closer inspection the rear quarter had overspray, there was a smudge of white on the mirror cover (possibly a part from a breakers) and the power wasn't there on a test drive. Had 7 fault codes including the GEM module which isn't good. Left that one straight away. 

Next viewed on in Coventry. Nice car, had power and only 2 fault codes. The owner stated he did a few bits of work on it including it having a mountune remap. Bought the car and the guy said he'll send the paperwork of the work done over. Nothing turned up ever since and he had the cheek to reply to my emails saying he's busy. I actually found the next day it doesn't start up well which later found it was a leaking injector. There's sadly a lot of scum out there when buying a car. 

I'm happy with the car now after fixing that issue and cleaning it up. It's a one of a kind example you don't really see anywhere which I love about it. I might have to sell it in a few months because of ULEZ 😭

• Like 1

You could always hold on to it and buy a second car Zain? 😁

I saw a 1996 Camaro on FB marketplace whilst I was aimlessly browsing the net (as I often fall into the trap of doing!)...

Was quite tempted... Stock pic (taken from wiki) below... Now I'm picturing myself driving it around with a spiky gelled hair, wearing dark denim, and blasting out punk rock 😄 OK, daydreaming over!

Would have also given me a chance to perhaps work on it as a fixer-upper, and gain experience as a DIY mechanic...

Also saw some nice old Lexus on there, and a Honda Prelude 2.0 manual 😎

I guess most people on here haven't been impulsive and pulled the trigger on such a car, but also post up any interesting finds you see!

spacer.png

• Like 2

Yeah I've done it loads of times...  It's no secret that I can't cope with life in general...and when it gets bad enough, some people drink, some gamble...I buy ***** cars from dodgy guys on the internet.  Some have been replacement dailies, some have been 'weekend' cars, some have been broken fixer-uppers. 

Went badly every time, I never made money, usually lost money, mostly in repairs, (plus tax and insurance if used as a 2nd car as well as daily)...BUT each one gave me memories that I wouldn't have had otherwise, and helped me discover local places I never knew about by 'just going for a drive'...and ended up joining forums and FB groups and 'meeting' people (albeit mostly online only) that I wouldn't have otherwise met....

I can't afford to do it now, and manage to talk myself out it eventually (hence not buying any cars at all this year! 😮 ) but if you can afford it, I'd say go for it...  It's really is only the money losses that are the downside imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah I've done it loads of times...  It's no secret that I can't cope with life in general...and when it gets bad enough, some people drink, some gamble...I buy ***** cars from dodgy guys on the internet.  Some have been replacement dailies, some have been 'weekend' cars, some have been broken fixer-uppers. 

Went badly every time, I never made money, usually lost money, mostly in repairs, (plus tax and insurance if used as a 2nd car as well as daily)...BUT each one gave me memories that I wouldn't have had otherwise, and helped me discover local places I never knew about by 'just going for a drive'...and ended up joining forums and FB groups and 'meeting' people (albeit mostly online only) that I wouldn't have otherwise met....

I can't afford to do it now, and manage to talk myself out it eventually (hence not buying any cars at all this year! 😮 ) but if you can afford it, I'd say go for it...  It's really is only the money losses that are the downside imo.

Cars in general are a money pit, if money took priority over happiness found in cars, I'd say most of us would be driving Korean/Japanese superminis that basically get from A to B in the most basic and economical fashion and never break. I still think we should try and organise a meet on here though!

Nice, what were some of the weekend cars you got?

You're not doing favours for me by saying "go for it", although I really do want to as well 😂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Incontro said:

Cars in general are a money pit, if money took priority over happiness found in cars, I'd say most of us would be driving Korean/Japanese superminis that basically get from A to B in the most basic and economical fashion and never break. I still think we should try and organise a meet on here though!

Nice, what were some of the weekend cars you got?

You're not doing favours for me by saying "go for it", although I really do want to as well 😂 

Weekend cars were a couple of 306 GTi6s (separately), Mk6 Fiesta ST and an Audi A3 Sport.  Nothing particularly exciting in real world terms lol.  

It's a lot of cost for a car you can barely use though.  Works out much better financially to just buy a more exciting daily!  

• Like 1

Haha..i bought a jet black c70 t5 coupe on a whim after owning 2 ezzies a foccy and a ghia mondeo estate and a mk2 v6 mondeo.some whim..destroyed after just 2 months, just replaced the cambelt and brake discs that week, just brimmed her at my local petrol station too,a dizzy blonde aged about 20 in a bright red golf thought it would be a laugh to pull straight out of a side street on to a A road without looking...but all is forgiven coz i got my 4 and a half grand back..wich i then used a year later towards my present steed wich ive now owned for 10 years..
Yeah..impulse buys...some you win some you loose...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I only have room for 1 vehicle off road parking at my home, if i had more space i'd soon fill it with project collectable cars. Missus would leave me tho..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mozz said:

I only have room for 1 vehicle off road parking at my home, if i had more space i'd soon fill it with project collectable cars. Missus would leave me tho..

lol☺️

Aye, a few years back when I should have bought that sensible 3 year old Astra but ended up with a 10 year old Merc money pit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might have to sell it in a few months because of ULEZ [emoji24]

What is a ulez. .ive seen this word twice..baffled..

• Like 1

Way too many time to list them all, but here's one.

I have a few old Lotus cars (not so old as to be valuable, like a 1960s Elite or anything), I was working on one (Excel) , fitting a new headlining which is glued to the roof, it was raining and the car was outside. I get slightly giddy from the fumes, so went indoors, bid on an Esprit on eBay, which I then won.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, V6 Lover said:

I might have to sell it in a few months because of ULEZ emoji24.png

What is a ulez. .ive seen this word twice..baffled..

I've just googled it. ULEZ = Ultra Low Emissions Zone. Big cities like London, i'd imagine.

• Like 2

I've just googled it. ULEZ = Ultra Low Emissions Zone. Big cities like London, i'd imagine.
Thanking you..mmmm so thats what it means...[emoji57]

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 1:14 PM, mozz said:

Yep so diesel older than 2015 and petrols older than 2005 will have to pay a charge of £12.50 when entering the zone. In London it's in the centre but they want to expand it to the whole city in 2021 so can't afford to pay that everytime I go out to drive. Honestly don't want to sell my car and need a cheap to run car

On 12/10/2019 at 11:24 PM, zain611 said:

Yep so diesel older than 2015 and petrols older than 2005 will have to pay a charge of £12.50 when entering the zone. In London it's in the centre but they want to expand it to the whole city in 2021 so can't afford to pay that everytime I go out to drive. Honestly don't want to sell my car and need a cheap to run car

Maybe buy an old Japanese car?

I was eyeing this Subaru up earlier, would have likely caved in and bought it by now if I lived in a house and had a driveway. I don't have a single parking space let alone two (Mondy lives in a public car park)

MOT history for it is squeaky clean too

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2304244163019496/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Incontro said:

Maybe buy an old Japanese car?

I was eyeing this Subaru up earlier, would have likely caved in and bought it by now if I lived in a house and had a driveway. I don't have a single parking space let alone two (Mondy lives in a public car park)

MOT history for it is squeaky clean too

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2304244163019496/

I did look at these subis at one point but the engines aren't very efficient. Was looking at the Peugeot 107. Had one as my first car but might getting the newer shape which has £0 road tax and claimed I'd say 55mpg in real life. 

Financially I'm looking at getting a cheap car as when the time comes to save for a property at least little money is going towards the car. 

• Like 1

I don't think I've been impulsive about anything in my life :laughing:

(Especially cars)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

I don't think I've been impulsive about anything in my life :laughing:

(Especially cars)

we're far too sensible lol

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 11:24 PM, zain611 said:

Sell you a 2005 Focus 😉 it'll be fine when I get the springs changed 😄

Screenshot_20191212-224302.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Incontro said:

we're far too sensible lol

But sensible doesn't have to mean dull :thumbsup:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zain611 said:

I did look at these subis at one point but the engines aren't very efficient. Was looking at the Peugeot 107. Had one as my first car but might getting the newer shape which has £0 road tax and claimed I'd say 55mpg in real life. 

Financially I'm looking at getting a cheap car as when the time comes to save for a property at least little money is going towards the car. 

Why not get a newer Zetec S Fiesta. The 1.0 is a great little engine and cheap to run.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, dtulip8 said:

Why not get a newer Zetec S Fiesta. The 1.0 is a great little engine and cheap to run.

My budget at most is around £3k so I'm not sure they are within that. The Peugeot 107 isn't bad. It's cheap to run with £0 road tax with the face-lift from 2012. Seen a few black 5 door ones going near £2800. Was looking at the allure spec which comes with rear tints and alloys plus AC as standard. I used to have a 2007 one as my first car and parts were cheap. A clutch kit was only £37 and that was the upgraded one that was put in the face-lift 😂

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, TimST2 said:

But sensible doesn't have to mean dull :thumbsup:

I wish someone had told me this a long time ago! :unsure: :laugh: 

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

My budget at most is around £3k so I'm not sure they are within that. The Peugeot 107 isn't bad. It's cheap to run with £0 road tax with the face-lift from 2012. Seen a few black 5 door ones going near £2800. Was looking at the allure spec which comes with rear tints and alloys plus AC as standard. I used to have a 2007 one as my first car and parts were cheap. A clutch kit was only £37 and that was the upgraded one that was put in the face-lift 😂

One of my worst impulse purchases here...  Summer 2014, 107 Envy...which also had a horrible white vinyl roof and Envy badges on top of Allure spec iirc...  :laugh:  Sad thing is, over 5 years later and I still haven't owned anything newer than that!  :lol: 

IMAG3942.thumb.jpg.d6150fe2010e4c5c13eaacacbed2e02a.jpg

IMAG3944.thumb.jpg.6c35987877ef91ee0979bb386c5af48f.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club