Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync update notification

bobfather

My Sync 3 can connect to my home WIFI hub to facilitate updates but having set this up I found that the update search occurs every time I start the car.  This is inconvenient as I'm starting the car so that I can drive it and thereby lose WIFI connection before any updates are found.  As a result I have now turned off 'Auto Update'.  Is there a way to know when updates become available so that I can reconnect at those times?

Only trouble is Ford website has been down for a week !

6 hours ago, Hamster said:

Put your VIN in here and if it shows an update connect the car to wifi.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

H

Haha, that didn't work.  I put my VIN in and it reported 'SOMETHING WENT WRONG'.  I suspect I'll have to wait for Ford to get their finger out

Haha, well it works for me.

Sorry for troubling you with an answer, it won't happen again.

H

I think that only newer vehicles are  getting that response now from the update website  to replace the previous one that said everything was up to date when it wasn't, because map updates aren't available for late 2018  onwards vehicles because of incompatibility issues. I have asked Ford CRC for an explanation but am waiting for an answer.

7 hours ago, bobfather said:

I put my VIN in and it reported 'SOMETHING WENT WRONG'.  I suspect I'll have to wait for Ford to get their finger out

It's been like that for over a week now!!

10 hours ago, Hamster said:

Haha, well it works for me.

Sorry for troubling you with an answer, it won't happen again.

H

Wow, I hope you're pulling my leg, I meant no offence, I simply found it ironic that your answer was so right, but for reasons I couldn't understand, did not work for me

OK, maybe it was an over-reaction........................................................

Difficult weekend.

😊

H

25 minutes ago, Hamster said:

OK, maybe it was an over-reaction........................................................

Difficult weekend.

😊

H

Been there, I understand :thumbup1:

Seems like the update website is alive again!

37 minutes ago, simonb65 said:

Seems like the update website is alive again!

So it is, excellent, cheers

My WiFi connection is very weak so I've formatted a flash drive and extracted the update files. The instructions say 'start the engine'. It then suggests that the update will take 25 to 30mins. Have I got to sit in my car with the engine running for the entire update process?

4 hours ago, bobfather said:

My WiFi connection is very weak so I've formatted a flash drive and extracted the update files. The instructions say 'start the engine'. It then suggests that the update will take 25 to 30mins. Have I got to sit in my car with the engine running for the entire update process?

Yes, or go for a drive around. I also downloaded the files and extracted them to a USB stick last week so am waiting for a journey that will take me longer than 30 minutes so I can do mine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bobfather said:

The instructions say 'start the engine'. It then suggests that the update will take 25 to 30mins. Have I got to sit in my car with the engine running for the entire update process?

If you don't do it when you go for a drive, then remember to disable start/stop if your sat in the car. It will stop the engine half way through otherwise and you'll have to start the update again! Like Quofan, I wait until a trip out to do the update or start the car, start the update and leave it going whilst I wash and polish the car!

If it's just a sync3 software update it will only take around 25mins and in 1 stage.

Its best to have engine running to stop sync3 shutting down. Its only map updates that usually take much longer and in 2 stages.

2 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

If it's just a sync3 software update it will only take around 25mins and in 1 stage.

Its best to have engine running to stop sync3 shutting down. Its only map updates that usually take much longer and in 2 stages.

Not sure what this means. Is there another website where additional updates reside or are they all downloaded in the same batch from the resources-and-support site linked above?

Sorry, I'm new to this technology stuff 😁

On the update website when you enter your VIN there are 2 sections that check your vehicles status one is for Sync3 module operating software the second is for the satnav maps data. This reports  whether up to date or if download is available. You can then If available download the update. This is what you would have done and it almost certainly was a software update as given age of your car you wont get a maps update until 2020 (version F9).

Just put the stick in the car run engine and follow screen instructions. Then upload logfile to Ford website to update their information on your vehicle

• Like 1

just finished updating my edge sport took three times down loading update with twice it came up error on car screen third time lucky took a time to load first part easy then you need to stop car turn it off wait 2mins then start it up again without removing usb stick it finally came up on screen update complete and it even uploaded file to submit to ford site to finish it off 

• 1 month later...

When i first got my edge i used WiFi to update the sync system wasn't long at all but for the latest i update to my sync 3 i did it via USB as the file size was a lot bigger (could use WiFi on phone but thought better to use USB for this one due to file size and black-spots).

First update was sync system took about 30 mins to update without interruptions if your using a relatively old 32GB stick about 5GB update newer stick with faster speed might be quicker.

The maps however was 27GB should have taken about 45-60 mins hour and half later still not done (again old stick) had to turn off at that point obviously not advised but hey needs must took out USB when starting again it said update paused and will continue when you put USB in or something like that so left it at that for a few days knowing I have anther long drive ahead. Couple of days later I put USB in again on that day drove four about 45 mins still not complete so left USB in and carried  about my day to see if it would just sort itself out. went out to it yesterday morning and withing 20 seconds of starting update complete please remove USB and all done and updated now.

So basically not the end of the world if you shutdown when updating the maps (in my case anyway). As the system seems to use the blackberry QNX software (sandboxes each program individually so if one crashes shouldn't crash the lot) it should be fine doing any kind of update like this as it will copy files to its memory and then overwrite on the next startup unlike windows updates that do most of the overwriting as its doing it IE sync 2 (windows based system)

39 minutes ago, Tekno said:

So basically not the end of the world if you shutdown when updating the maps (in my case anyway). As the system seems to use the blackberry QNX software (sandboxes each program individually so if one crashes shouldn't crash the lot) it should be fine doing any kind of update like this as it will copy files to its memory and then overwrite on the next startup unlike windows updates that do most of the overwriting as its doing it IE sync 2 (windows based system)

Just trying to understand this.  I've had a USB stick with Sync 3 system update waiting in my glovebox since I started this thread but I don't want to sit with the engine running for 30+ mins.  Are you saying both Sync 3 and map data can be updated even if the Sync 3 system is occasionally switched off during that process?

5 minutes ago, bobfather said:

Just trying to understand this.  I've had a USB stick with Sync 3 system update waiting in my glovebox since I started this thread but I don't want to sit with the engine running for 30+ mins.  Are you saying both Sync 3 and map data can be updated even if the Sync 3 system is occasionally switched off during that process?

The update will usually start from the beginning if you interrupt it. However, the update itself is usually spilt into a number of sub-updates, when each of those complete, they don't need doing again and will be skipped when you re-start the process after an interruption! 

If you don't want to sit there (which I've done about 3 times since I got mine 3 years ago), just pop the stick in and go for a drive! I do my big updates to/from Ikea or Costco or the Trafford Centre (Manchester) as it takes me 40-45 minutes to get there, 40-45 back!! It can be done in the background whilst your driving.

@simonb65 Does satnav and other Sync3 functions continue to opperate while the update is processing?  I guess that has been my major concern, on long journeys I tend to rely on satnav

On 1/20/2020 at 12:27 PM, bobfather said:

Does satnav and other Sync3 functions continue to opperate while the update is processing? 

From recollection yes. 99% of the time taken to do an update is just the time it takes to read and unpack the data from the USB stick and write it to the Sync's FLASH memory. The current navigation application is already running in RAM, so won't be affected until you do an ignition cycle, at which point the new application is loaded from FLASH into RAM and then it runs (The latter is what it does every ignition cycle and is fairly quick. i.e. 10's of seconds!)

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 11:40 AM, bobfather said:

In the experience i had i did the SYNC 3 software update in one go about 30 mins (this is the main OS update)

The map update i did with engine on/off no USB in for a bit at times but it still went through eventually again this may be quicker with a newer quicker memory stick mine was a old spare one i had kicking arround.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:27 PM, bobfather said:

@simonb65 Does satnav and other Sync3 functions continue to opperate while the update is processing?  I guess that has been my major concern, on long journeys I tend to rely on satnav

Each system was still available while the update processed (radio dab sat-nav ever-note didn't test everything but i wasn't hindered)  as the unit wont apply the update until you turn engine off and on again (2 min wait between) 

• Like 1