Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My 1.8 tdci 2009 Galaxy not starting but ticks over fine

Nilesh

My Galaxy 1.8 tdci died and didn’t started but after many attempts and easy start the car started and I drove 10-15 miles without switching the engine off. When I stopped by a shop I turned it off and it never started since then. Looks like there isn’t fuel coming through the high pressure pump on to common rail. For some reason this was fitted with after market inline pump. From the fuel filter feed I can’t see it’s pumping enough fuel through. I know these do run only with HP pump. Maybe the pump was worn and someone might have fitted with this inline pump to support the HP. No fuel from HP outlet or from either of the common rail pipes. Please help as my mot gonna runout very soon 

I had a similar situation (with my 2.2), it did turn out to be a failed pump, but also had the filter contributing to the situation by allowing a small amount of air to leak in which was then enough that the pump couldn't get to enough pressure.

Once the pump was all replaced, I still had to use easy start(just once) to get the air out of the fuel rail etc. If you can get it to start with Easy Start, then get the diagnostics on it and find out what pressure the fuel rail is currently running at. If it's too low then it could be many things (pressure sensor, pump, relief valve, etc). 

On mine even when it wasn't running, I could see air was getting into the fuel return line from the pump despite a clean line to the pump, so that was the point at which I knew I needed a new pump. I could also see air was getting into the fuel filter, so all the connections there were altered to seal properly. That took a lot of time, not the sort of thing you want to try on a roadside.

Thanks Andy for the advice. I have checked with a cracked injector pipe and found no fuel supply from the pump to the common rail. Any part that I could check around the pump to see if the fuels being isolated . Also no power supplied to the injectors. This might be a result of there isn’t enough common rail pressure. Please note that there is a inline pump fitted to build up enough fuel filter pressure to supply fuel to the pump.

I don't know exactly the 1.8 system, but my 2.2 had no separate isolation of fuel (in the engine bay).  Have to see who knows that exact system better than I.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club