Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mot advisories

Andy12

afternoon all, picking my fiesta st 3 up tomorrow from a dealer and just noticed the new mot done today got a few advisories. do i need to be worried?  also i would have thought any issues with the car they would sort it before handing it over?

1- offside front service brake fluctuating. but not excessively

2- rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened

If it passed an MOT then it's presumably road legal (or was at the time of test).

They don't have to do it, the law only requires that the car be road legal. Satisfactory quality is a grey area, the car is used, so you wouldn't expect certain wear items (like brakes) to be at 100%, as long as they are safe and within legal limits.

It might be worth contacting them and saying you want them fixed before parting with any money, see if they'll get it sorted for you. Might delay pickup, but at least it's done.

You won't get it done after unless it causes a fault or is no longer road legal, the best bargaining time is before you pay.

36 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

If it passed an MOT then it's presumably road legal (or was at the time of test).

They don't have to do it, the law only requires that the car be road legal. Satisfactory quality is a grey area, the car is used, so you wouldn't expect certain wear items (like brakes) to be at 100%, as long as they are safe and within legal limits.

It might be worth contacting them and saying you want them fixed before parting with any money, see if they'll get it sorted for you. Might delay pickup, but at least it's done.

You won't get it done after unless it causes a fault or is no longer road legal, the best bargaining time is before you pay.

Ok thanks dude I’ll give them a call and see what they say,  also is there a  timing chain or belt on this car? And when would they need changing ?

It's a belt on the 1.6 EcoBoost.

Usually 10 years or something like 100k.

Sounds like all discs and pads need doing then. 

As for cambelt, interval is 125k miles or 10 years whichever is sooner

I had an advisory on discs once.   I took it to the dealers after the MOT and they said it was rubbish.   They lasted another three years.

• Like 1

Mot testers seem to be using vastly differing standards on whether to put things down as advisories or not. That mot tester mentioned it, others may not have done. Having said that , if it’s fluctuating it might feel annoying eg rolling down hill in slow q of traffic with light use of brakes, and it might get worse.  For rear brake discs look at them, do they look really bad

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

I had an advisory on discs once.   I took it to the dealers after the MOT and they said it was rubbish.   They lasted another three years.

Had a front spring snap on my Old Citroen C4 when it was about 8 years old. The discs were pretty worn as were the front dampers so I had the lot done, bought the parts myself and had a trusted local mechanic fit them for me.

New Discs, pads,springs, dampers and anti roll bar bushes. I ran the car for another 4,000 miles or so before I had the opportunity to get my MK7.5 Fiesta ST Line. Sold the Citroen to a friend with 3  months left on the MOT, during which he only did another 1500 miles. The MOT advisories suggested that front discs and pads were worn and dampers were misting a bit of oil. All a load of rubbish they were virtually new. He took it to another MOT centre and they passed it fine. He's since done another 20,000 miles and they are still fine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I’m going to drop the oil and change the filters this weekend, what oil & filter do I need? 

Just picked the car up and they have done all the work without me asking them 😀, lovely car nice bit of power 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club