Do Not Sell My Personal Information

question about turbo boost pressure of the 100ps version

Eng_Ahmad1986

Hello to all  🙂 

just as the headline says , I'm asking about the maximum boost pressure that the stock turbo makes under the stock map of the 100ps version.

I know that the control unit sees the accelerator pedal position as a torque request and then regulates the boost pressure accordingly , but sure this boost pressure has a set limit by which the control unit will not allow to pass, now if anybody has tried a boost gauge or if anybody has got info from ford about this issue, I'm really curious to know 🙂 and also for the 125ps version if available 😄 I know that its 1.6 bar for the 140ps version, but what about the other two 🙂  thank you very much.

19 hours ago, cjay1 said:

about 15 psi max boost 

thank you very much  🙂 I don't know why ford doesn't state this officially 😄 and what about the 125ps version ? do you have any idea ?

Could be wrong but I thought both the 100 and 125 boost to 15psi to give an effective compression ratio of almost 20:1

5 hours ago, cjay1 said:

Could be wrong but I thought both the 100 and 125 boost to 15psi to give an effective compression ratio of almost 20:1

I don't know , but I think more HP on the same engine requires more boost ?

At least older (2013-2017) Fiesta 125bhp Ecoboosts have an overboost mode. I got one and I'm not sure if I notice when it happens but it's probably on gears 3-5 and with quite high revs. Typing words "Ecoboost 125 overboost" into Google will give some extra info about it. I also read than when overboost is on the torque of 125 bhp Ecoboost is 200 Nm for some time.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jeipii said:

At least older (2013-2017) Fiesta 125bhp Ecoboosts have an overboost mode. I got one and I'm not sure if I notice when it happens but it's probably on gears 3-5 and with quite high revs. Typing words "Ecoboost 125 overboost" into Google will give some extra info about it. I also read than when overboost is on the torque of 125 bhp Ecoboost is 200 Nm for some time.

thank you for considering  🙂 yeah I've read about the overboost function , it keeps the wastegate closed for a longer period of time to give you extra boost , with extra torque up to 200 NM , for a limited time ( 15 to 30 seconds ) and then it is switched off by the ECU to cool down the turbo , the feature can be activated by flooring the gas pedal on high RPM , it was available on the mk7-7.5 125ps, but not any more on the mk8 125ps, and it was never available on the 100ps version, I don't know why  😞 may be for marketing reasons to give room for the ST-Iine 140ps version ?

very interesting thread actually , I've read also that the turbo turbine wheel on the 125ps version is made from a different alloy than that of the 100ps version, and it can sustains higher exhaust temperatures , what else could be different between these two engines 😄 

41 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

it was available on the mk7-7.5 125ps, but not any more on the mk8 125ps, and it was never available on the 100ps version, I don't know why  😞 may be for marketing reasons to give room for the ST-Iine 140ps version ?

very interesting thread actually , I've read also that the turbo turbine wheel on the 125ps version is made from a different alloy than that of the 100ps version, and it can sustains higher exhaust temperatures , what else could be different between these two engines 😄 

From the introduction of the Ecoboost the 125 and 140PS shared the same turbo part number. At some point in 2016 the 125PS received the 100PS turbo. Perhaps the overboost in the 125PS was killed off then.

As far as I can tell (there are numerous threads on here about it) the only difference in the turbos is that the material of the blades is a different alloy between the 100PS and 140PS versions.

The turbine wheel in the 100PS version is made from an alloy called IN713C and the 125/140PS version is MARM246. These are both commonly used nickel superalloys. There are some chemistry differences but the strength of the alloys is different and their temperature capabilities are different.”

I’ve often seen 18.6 psi on my 125 when giving it the boot.

• Like 1

From what I can make out, they both perform well but the MARM246 is better above the 900° region.  I don't know what the exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs) of the engine would be in general, but if your car is mapped (like mine) and you don't thrash it on a regular basis you would never see a turbine failure as a result of that specifically, I'd hazard.  Short bursts here and there likely wouldn't be enough to seriously degrade the material but sustained hard driving would likely see an issue in the longer term due to sustained higher EGTs.

That's just my views though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Daggerit said:

From what I can make out, they both perform well but the MARM246 is better above the 900° region.  I don't know what the exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs) of the engine would be in general, but if your car is mapped (like mine) and you don't thrash it on a regular basis you would never see a turbine failure as a result of that specifically, I'd hazard.  Short bursts here and there likely wouldn't be enough to seriously degrade the material but sustained hard driving would likely see an issue in the longer term due to sustained higher EGTs.

That's just my views though.

once ( and I was stupid at that time 😄 ) I pushed the accelerator pedal WOT for about on the sixth gear at 3500 RPM, at speed about 180 km/h for about 10 km , I wanted to see how see how is the engine torque at that situation ( I told you I was stupid as sure I was lugging the engine that way 😄 ) and then I stopped, without turning the engine off I opened the hood, only to see the turbo glowing red ( shown in the picture ), I kept it idle until turbo cooled down completely and the radiator fan switched off, then I switched off the engine, since then I'm extremely worried that such a thing could have damaged the turbo or shortened its life, knowing that its a stock map and my engine is the 100ps version , and that also made me wondering about the exhaust temperature of that engine , and if there is enough temperature to turn the turbine housing red like that, how was the turbine inside, it may had been cooked 😄 

IMG_2889.JPG

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

once ( and I was stupid at that time 😄 ) I pushed the accelerator pedal WOT for about on the sixth gear at 3500 RPM, at speed about 180 km/h for about 10 km , I wanted to see how see how is the engine torque at that situation ( I told you I was stupid as sure I was lugging the engine that way 😄 ) and then I stopped, without turning the engine off I opened the hood, only to see the turbo glowing red ( shown in the picture ), I kept it idle until turbo cooled down completely and the radiator fan switched off, then I switched off the engine, since then I'm extremely worried that such a thing could have damaged the turbo or shortened its life, knowing that its a stock map and my engine is the 100ps version , and that also made me wondering about the exhaust temperature of that engine , and if there is enough temperature to turn the turbine housing red like that, how was the turbine inside, it may had been cooked 😄 

IMG_2889.JPG

I don't think that's particularly stupid tbh…  It's only 110mph for those of us stuck in the past lol.  If you bought one of these in Germany you'd expect it to handle 100mph+ on the Autobahns for miles and miles!  :unsure:  

It looks like the heatshield has actually done a fantastic job of holding all the heat in! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

But don't you think that sustained WOT on the sixth gear at 3500 RPM for about 10 km isn't considered Lugging ? or at least may have shortened the expected life of the turbo somehow ? 

To be honest, I've never owned a turbo car where the turbo didn't glow quite a lot when the car is pushed.  My S4 that I had just before the Fiesta could be seen glowing from under the heat shield pretty easily.  And my older Astra VXR had a turbo that looked the same as yours after driving 6 miles at 60mph in 6th gear to my girlfriends house!  Haha.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

But don't you think that sustained WOT on the sixth gear at 3500 RPM for about 10 km isn't considered Lugging ? or at least may have shortened the expected life of the turbo somehow ? 

Your car will be just fine. If the turbine sustained any damage you would notice it immediately 🙂.

Also, i guess WOT would've taken you to way higher RPMS so no engine lugging was sustained in the long term (also, dont worry too much about that lol)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eliterox said:

Your car will be just fine. If the turbine sustained any damage you would notice it immediately 🙂.

Also, i guess WOT would've taken you to way higher RPMS so no engine lugging was sustained in the term (also, dont worry too much about that lol)

what a relief 🙂 thank you very much both of you my friends 🙂 @Eliterox and @Daggerit

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club