Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 2002 Hard Start

mario77

hallo everyone.

i have a mondeo mk3 1.8 lx duratec he engine. i got this car 1 month ago.

first off all after two days the mil lamp came on,i did a quick scan and it was a missfire on cylinder no3,i replace the coil pack,ht leads and spark plugs,so was ok for 3-4 days,no more missfire even now,the problem is sometime is starting very hard even with the engine hot. i did a fuel pressure test and looks ok. so lets say when is not starting on the first atempt even if the engine is turned for up to ten times, all the time is starting on the second atempt at first turn,when is not starting on the first turn if i press the accelerator is starting and running somehow rough low rpm's under 750 than comes up to 750 but still not running smooth, but if i press short again the accelerator it's running very well. all i want to mention everything i said it's happening randomly with the engine hot,worm or cold.

any ideeas? what could be? the idle air control valve it's new,all filters new,oil new......

hallo everyone.

i have a mondeo mk3 1.8 lx duratec he engine. i got this car 1 month ago.

first off all after two days the mil lamp came on,i did a quick scan and it was a missfire on cylinder no3,i replace the coil pack,ht leads and spark plugs,so was ok for 3-4 days,no more missfire even now,the problem is sometime is starting very hard even with the engine hot. i did a fuel pressure test and looks ok. so lets say when is not starting on the first atempt even if the engine is turned for up to ten times, all the time is starting on the second atempt at first turn,when is not starting on the first turn if i press the accelerator is starting and running somehow rough low rpm's under 750 than comes up to 750 but still not running smooth, but if i press short again the accelerator it's running very well. all i want to mention everything i said it's happening randomly with the engine hot,worm or cold.

any ideeas? what could be? the idle air control valve it's new,all filters new,oil new......

well for one the rpm is fine you should see 700-750 rpm on that engine and they dont idle smooth either never have on the zetec engine which is what you have poor performers at low revs as ive explained to a previous poster the emission set up on the fords is that its designed to find the lowest emissions ie reduce rpm when standing at idle and since air doesnt enter the engine smoothly it varies so as the air varies the ecu abnd sensors also have to keep adjusting the rpm to get the lowest emissions so it can drop and pick up slightly then drop again it will usually sit at 700 rpm when hot and idling sometimes a bit below at 690 if its dropping past 530rpm then it will stall which is the cut off point theat the revs can go so above this is fine etc this is normal it could be the idle control valve or any one of a dozen sensors including the tempereature sensor which is the first possibility since its happening hot or cold usually but not always the idle control valve will only cause problerms when cold theres also an emission pipe below the throttle body that collapses when the engines running so check this it can also be the pcv valve which allows gas through the crankcase the best bet is check hoses etc then get a code scan if nothing tuirns up also what oil is in it should be 5w/30

well for one the rpm is fine you should see 700-750 rpm on that engine and they dont idle smooth either never have on the zetec engine which is what you have poor performers at low revs as ive explained to a previous poster the emission set up on the fords is that its designed to find the lowest emissions ie reduce rpm when standing at idle and since air doesnt enter the engine smoothly it varies so as the air varies the ecu abnd sensors also have to keep adjusting the rpm to get the lowest emissions so it can drop and pick up slightly then drop again it will usually sit at 700 rpm when hot and idling sometimes a bit below at 690 if its dropping past 530rpm then it will stall which is the cut off point theat the revs can go so above this is fine etc this is normal it could be the idle control valve or any one of a dozen sensors including the tempereature sensor which is the first possibility since its happening hot or cold usually but not always the idle control valve will only cause problerms when cold theres also an emission pipe below the throttle body that collapses when the engines running so check this it can also be the pcv valve which allows gas through the crankcase the best bet is check hoses etc then get a code scan if nothing tuirns up also what oil is in it should be 5w/30

Thank u for u'r reply

yes the oil is 5w/30 A1 Castrol magnatec,i belive the best oil on the market.

now i was study a bit better when is starting easy and when starts hard. hot (if i drive the car for 6-7 min) is starting allmost all the time on first crank,but if i try after 15-20min give me problems let's say the chance to start easy is about 60-70%, when is geting just warm?(lets say after just 3-4min of drive) when i try to start it the chance to start easy is 40-50%, when is cold(first start in the day) the chance to start easy is 70-80%..

yes it was scaned by Ford main dealer and no fault code found,the main dealer did a fuel presure test and it was ok,before and after the main dealer i scan the car by my self and a friend wich is a car electrician and same no codes,and same thing on fuel pressure everything ok.

now about rpm my mondeo rpm nedle when is working nice and very smooth is just 1mm under the 750 rpm line,but even when is idleing bad the needle is in the same place but the engine is not smooth,seems like is trying hard to work.

ford garage they said never see something like this,and they don't know what's wrong,by the way i see few more independent mecanics but the engine was working ok so they wasn't able to make an opinion,and other was lifting them shoulders because they didn't know why the engine doesn't start or why is idle so bad.

but the most weird thing is when is idleing bad if i push short(just a shok) the accelerator let's say goes up to 1500rpm than is working fine!!! what the hell could be?

all the pipes and hoses are good i check them today....so i swear is !Removed! me off. on the road is a nice car quik in off and very stable,nicer than my old 02 passat(just more stable).

anyway thank's again for u'r replay and sorry for my english,i think i will wait for my hollyday when i go home and i will fix it there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club