Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question On Rear Seat Dvd Sound

noddy

Mine is a 56 model s-max with rear seat DVDs fitted that come with the infa-red headphones. With small children the headphones don't stay on them very easily. A friend of mine had a same age volvo XC-90 with the same DVD player and control (I think a lot of ford parts are same as volvo ones). On his remote control there is a button with a speaker picture on it (as there is on the ford remote) but when I press mine, nothing happens. When you press his, the DVD movie sound comes out the rear Speakers while you can listen to the radio through the front Speakers. The only difference between the two cars was that he had an extra amp fitted under the drivers seat, which presumably drives the rear Speakers separate to the front ones.

Asked at ford parts shop and they do not offer this option and have never heard of it. Then went to volvo parts and they knew what I was talking about but had never fitted the amp to a ford and said that if I ordered the part and it didn't work, I would still have to pay for it.

Has anyone gone down this route before and know if it works? It seems strange that there is a button on the remote that is inoperative.

Ta.

I would be very interested to know how you got on as I had this problem at the start. My daughter is now 2 and will ware headphones and as she does my 1 yesr old just plays along.

I did however also chase this...

Will the volvo guys have a look at the connectors and see?

I would be very interested to know how you got on as I had this problem at the start. My daughter is now 2 and will ware headphones and as she does my 1 yesr old just plays along.

I did however also chase this...

Will the volvo guys have a look at the connectors and see?

To be honest the volvo people seemed totally apathetic and uninterested- I sometimes wonder how these places ever make money!

One day I think I will go to a specific car audio shop and see what they say- then let you know too.

I may have gone to volvo if I knew for sure that someone else had been successful.

It is possible to get a line out audio cable for the dvd player which can be connected to the aux in of the Ford headunit.

The sound would come out of all Speakers as Ford headunits do not support split audio.

The other alternative is to route the line out cable to small portable amplified Speakers (such as walkman speakers) and have the Speakers mounted safely behind or near the childs seat.

It is possible to get a line out audio cable for the dvd player which can be connected to the aux in of the Ford headunit.

The sound would come out of all speakers as Ford headunits do not support split audio.

The other alternative is to route the line out cable to small portable amplified speakers (such as walkman speakers) and have the speakers mounted safely behind or near the childs seat.

Hi tunnelrat, I too have been trying to get a solution to the DVD system, how / where do you connect into the DVD player output, if it is from a cable loom under the seat, do you know what cable colours etc you need to splice into?

Hi tunnelrat, I too have been trying to get a solution to the DVD system, how / where do you connect into the DVD player output, if it is from a cable loom under the seat, do you know what cable colours etc you need to splice into?

There is a lead available from a third party manufacturer that plugs into a spare socket on the rear of the dvd player and has a 3.5mm stereo jack on the other end.

It used to be sold on eBay, but I cannot find it there now.

There is a lead available from a third party manufacturer that plugs into a spare socket on the rear of the dvd player and has a 3.5mm stereo jack on the other end.

It used to be sold on ebay, but I cannot find it there now.

Does anyone know where to get, or who can send me an audio wiring diagram (including that for the DVD system) for the S-max?

Does anyone know where to get, or who can send me an audio wiring diagram (including that for the DVD system) for the S-max?

Found the link : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audio-Adapter-for-FORD-Multimedia-DVD-Player-NEW_W0QQitemZ350334332791QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item51918daf77

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Many Thanks, got it howvever it was picking up engine noise, so I also had to buy a noise 3.5mm suppressor, but once fitted working 100% with no interference..... utv1uk...

• 2 months later...

My head unit doesn't have a 3.5mm jack on the front of it, does anyone know if the touch screen navigation unit has an input on the back of it?

Well I contacted the eBay seller, Alan, and he was so helpful, it was fantastic, cable fully installed and working in less than 36hrs from hitting the 'buy it now' button. For this bit of advice alone, registering with you guys has been great! Thank you so much. Next weeks journey to the lake district will be far more pleasurable as a result :-)

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

Refreshing this topic... what cable specs have you used and where are the connections!? Just picked up our brand new S-Max with the Ford DVD pack and wasn't aware that getting the sound of the main Speakers is not so straight forward.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Clearly not many forum members with the Ford DVD entertainment system! :)

• 3 months later...

Did you get this sorted in the end? I bought a cable off eBay. It is plugged into the jack socket in the glove box and the rear of the dvd player under the passenger seat.

The only downside is that you cannot listen to the radio in the front while the kiddies are watching dvd in the rear. You need two amplifiers to do that.

• 3 months later...

Still the same difficulties as the DVD player under the passenger seat doesn't have any socket! :(

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I'm a senior computer engineer my fix to this on my Mondeo is going to be bluetooth audio transmitter into the DVD player backend. This then allows you to use bluetooth Speakers plugged into the power socket facing the rear seats. Using this option with also give you the ability to use bluetooth headphones as replacements too. :ph34r: No wiring yeah... I hate running wires they scare me lol...

• 5 years later...

I have a ford s max on a 56 plate with the tv in headrest but I have no remote and no head phone when I bought the car could anybody put me in the right direction where I could purchase these from?

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2010 at 6:05 PM, smaxdvdplayer said:

Many Thanks, got it howvever it was picking up engine noise, so I also had to buy a noise 3.5mm suppressor, but once fitted working 100% with no interference..... utv1uk...

Hi 

Do you have a link with that adaptor please?

• Haha 1