Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tpms means you can't rotate tyres

Guy Heaton

So my wife had a nail in her back tyre.  It's been safely repaired but was on a front tyre.  

Yesterday I changed wheels from front to back as I thought better to have a blowout on the back then the front.

Today when resetting the tyre pressures on the display I've realised the car doesn't know this and is now monitoring incorrectly.

Can I teach the car the wheels have moved or does Tpms mean tyre rotation is now impossible?

Just inflate all the tyres to the correct pressures and hold the reset button.

Just inflate all the tyres to the correct pressures and hold the reset button.
That won't work because as soon as one starts dropping it will display it in the wrong location.

You can buy a TPMS relearn tool from Amazon\ebay for about £10 and there is a service procedure you follow that allows you to retrain the sensors. It's really easy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've seen people teach the MK3 TPMS on YouTube by entering learning mode and then letting pressure out of each tyre but don't know if the Mk4 is the same?  Oh actually...I don't know which model your wife even has lol!?

Also, it's far better to have a blowout on the FRONT.  You'll still have some control over steering...with a rear blowout you'll have no control at all.

• Like 3

Just drive it should sort itself out, at least that's what I was told.

I had my wheels swapped at the service and they said they didn't have to program it, car detected correct positions.

will need the positon relearning using relearn tool. 

i paid£6 for my tool on eBay

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

will need the positon relearning using relearn tool. 

i paid£6 for my tool on ebay

I guess the guys on service desk were talking rubbish at my dealer then, lol. They told me it would adjust itself.

The pressures were right, so if it didn't work it out itself, the tech who swapped them for me, must have programmed them anyway.

I guess the guys on service desk were talking rubbish at my dealer then, lol. They told me it would adjust itself.
The pressures were right, so if it didn't work it out itself, the tech who swapped them for me, must have programmed them anyway.
They definitely don't relearn without carrying out the procedure, the staff at the desk wouldn't really have a clue.

I think I'll get the tool, iantt do you still have the link to the item?  There's a few different ones on eBay.

I'd have thought better a blowout on the rear, as a front would stop you being able to steer properly?

Would tyre fitters (Kwik Fit etc) do this? The usual advice is to put new tyres on the rear and put the part worn rears at the front, so presumably this would throw the sensors out?

From latest owner's manual:

Changing Road Wheels and Tires
If you change the road wheels and tires on your vehicle, for example fitting alternative wheels and winter tires, and the wheels have tire pressure monitoring system sensors, do the following:
  1. Inflate the tires to the correct tire pressure.   See  Tire Pressures
  1. Park your vehicle for a minimum of 20 minutes.
  1. Reset the tire pressure monitoring system.   See  Resetting the Tire Pressure Monitoring System
The system recognizes the new sensors the next time you drive your vehicle for approximately 15 minutes at a vehicle speed of 25 mph (40 km/h) or higher.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Waggy said:

The system recognizes the new sensors the next time you drive your vehicle for approximately 15 minutes at a vehicle speed of 25 mph (40 km/h) or higher.

So from this then presumably it would recognize that you have swapped wheels front to back? Not tried it yet - one of our cars doesn't have TPMS and my mileage nowadays is so low I haven't needed new tyres yet on a car that does have it!

That does fit in with what my dealer said. 🤷‍♂️

Should have mentioned the manual is for Focus mk4, but worth a try for latest Fiesta?

we tried that on mk4 focus and it wouldnt work. i had to use my relearn tool. 

we may have had a odd one though. 

11 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Should have mentioned the manual is for Focus mk4, but worth a try for latest Fiesta?

Yes, just trawled through my Mk 8 Fiesta manual and it says the same thing. Will have to see what happens when/if (!) I wear out some tyres.

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I think I'll get the tool, iantt do you still have the link to the item?  There's a few different ones on ebay.

I'd have thought better a blowout on the rear, as a front would stop you being able to steer properly?

A rear blowout stops you being able to steer at all, you won't be able to correct it once it goes, it'll just fishtail until it eventually spins or worst case rolls.  With a front blowout you still have the ability to steer with one wheel and the rear end will still be planted, so you 'should' be able to wrench the steering wheel left and ditch it into the hard shoulder without too much drama.  Obviously avoiding blowouts altogether is preferable though, if you're on a bend you'll be knackered whichever wheel it is!

• Like 1

we tried that on mk4 focus and it wouldnt work. i had to use my relearn tool. 
we may have had a odd one though. 
Doesn't automatically relearn on the Mk5 Mondeo either

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I think I'll get the tool, iantt do you still have the link to the item?  There's a few different ones on ebay.

For the Mk4 Focus there is a service Procedure in FORScan for Tyre Pressure Learning Mode and there may be one for the Mk8 as well, but you may also need the tool as well. 

14 minutes ago, Tizer said:

For the Mk4 Focus there is a Service Procedure in FORScan for Tyre Pressure Learning Mode and there may be one for the Mk8 as well, but you may also need the tool as well. 

This is all rather annoying. So they have made something simple, like dealing with a puncture or replacing worn tyres, really complicated by first replacing a proper spare wheel with a spacesaver, (or worse, sealant) then added the need to get sensors reset. 

• Like 1

The only complication is Ford's consistent ability to provide inconsistent information

At least if we knew one way or another, you'd know how to deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is all rather annoying. So they have made something simple, like dealing with a puncture or replacing worn tyres, really complicated by first replacing a proper spare wheel with a spacesaver, (or worse, sealant) then added the need to get sensors reset. 

If you think that's annoying then try changing a headlight lamp on a MK5 Mondeo - it's a bumper off job so hardly a roadside repair if one blows [emoji3525]

9 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

try changing a headlight lamp on a MK5 Mondeo 

Going off topic a bit but yes, there's a fair number of cars with that "feature" nowadays - the Golf Mk 4 was one of the first iirc. Perhaps we should start a "Most annoying thing about modern cars" thread or is it adequately covered already by the very popular  "Things I don't like" thread? 😀

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Going off topic a bit but yes, there's a fair number of cars with that "feature" nowadays - the Golf Mk 4 was one of the first iirc. Perhaps we should start a "Most annoying thing about modern cars" thread or is it adequately covered already by the very popular  "Things I don't like" thread? 😀

Good idea. I would soon get my opinion expressed on that thread!! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club