Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Focus 1.6 automatic transmission Problems

BrendaH

Just bought a 2015 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol.  On test drive it was fine but now that i have just bought it i notice on take off the gears dont change smoothly and it has to rev quite a bit to change from 1st to 2nd gear and on intial take off.  Is this a problem with this year of focus?? My 2006 focus was so smooth!  If it is a common problem, were there any recalls on them?? Thank you!

DSG is not an automatic, its an automatic clutch, to the driver its much the same, but fundamentally a different idea inside the gearbox and one gets a clutch whilst an automatic doesn't

so the first point is what gearbox does it have, when the answer is DSG (powershift in poor ford speak) I'd want to know if its got the current software....

the smaller engine DSG cars had issues since birth until May 2016 built cars where all 4 separate issues were resolved,

pre 2011 the gearbox leaked oil on the clutch (needs a new gearbox)

to 2014 the actuator, software and clutch was a joke,

pre may 2016 they hadn't worked out the right material for a good clutch although they had several iterations each less bad than the one before....

top secret for UK is the 5 year extension to the warranty on the clutch and gearbox, so go back to the dealer …. the rest of the world get a new clutch and gearbox, but you don't matter as much (if you can't see why think tory government and you not being rich enough for it to matter)

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, Botus said:

DSG is not an automatic, its an automatic clutch, to the driver its much the same, but fundamentally a different idea inside the gearbox and one gets a clutch whilst an automatic doesn't

so the first point is what gearbox does it have, when the answer is DSG (powershift in poor ford speak) I'd want to know if its got the current software....

the smaller engine DSG cars had issues since birth until May 2016 built cars where all 4 separate issues were resolved,

pre 2011 the gearbox leaked oil on the clutch (needs a new gearbox)

to 2014 the actuator, software and clutch was a joke,

pre may 2016 they hadn't worked out the right material for a good clutch although they had several iterations each less bad than the one before....

top secret for UK is the 5 year extension to the warranty on the clutch and gearbox, so go back to the dealer …. the rest of the world get a new clutch and gearbox, but you don't matter as much (if you can't see why think tory government and you not being rich enough for it to matter)

Apart from the party political broadcast, I'd agree with everything @Botus said.  The Powershift boxes fitted to the lower output engines is truly infamous for being 💩 and no amount of "good servicing" will fix that particular weakness.

• Like 1

Yes i am not hopeful about it after everything i have read online. Its awful to drive! Thanks for replies.

many DSG cars have a reset procedure that goes through a set up routine and checks how its applying the clutches

worth doing this as it can compensate for wear and or errors in what its doing ….

try this

Turn On the car (do not start it, just turn key on) shift gear to N then turn off the car and wait for 15 seconds. Shift gear to P turn on the car (do not start just turn key on) wait for 15 seconds then turn off key and turn on again, shift gear to N the car will give you message Transmission Ready.

long term ensure its software is on latest version / other checks fixes / things have been fitted / updated

If you can get onto Forscan you can "reset all adaptations" in the TCM and restart the learning process again. But it's important to research the learning process and carry it out correctly (making sure you can get the vehicle to go up and down all 6 gears etc)

The gearbox adapts to the driver's driving style over time.

But, as said, you should also check if it requires updated software. Ford know they have major issues with this transmission, the design was good but TVM costed down some of the components which caused the reliability issues. If you have any major issues try Ford customer relations, they may assist.

The main thing to remember with this gearbox is to NOT hold the vehicle on it's clutch for longer than a couple of seconds, as they are dry clutches and can get hot, glaze over and start to judder very badly.

If you're going to be waiting either at lights, or at a junction (especially on a hill) for longer than a couple of seconds knock it into neutral while you're waiting.

i got simillar problem on my poweshift gearbox , you have to press gas super smooth , other way not best feeling 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club