Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powerfold mirrors and Ice.

Blatto

Washed my car yesterday afternoon was covered in Road salt from a weeks commuting in the cold weather.

I start out at 5:45 am on my journey to work , this morning was cold, dark and frosty. Started up the car and switched on the rear and front screen heaters whilst I went round the side windows with my ice scraper. 

Slightly worried by the occasional clunk sound I could hear but couldn't really detect where it was coming from. Once all the side windows were clear I jumped in and sat for a minute or so to see if I could hear the clunk sound but all was ok so started reversing off my drive. Wasn't until I got moving forwards I realised  my mirrors hadn't unfolded, pressed the button on the door to unfold them and got the clunk sound. They had obviously frozen up overnight with all the water I'd rinsed the car off with. Thought maybe I could help the drivers side one along a bit with my hand so went to open the windows and found that was frozen too. Fortunately the car warms up really quickly and I think the heated mirrors that come on with the rear demister soon freed up their movement as well

I'm assuming that as the clunk wasn't constant that they just stop if they come across any resistance rather than burn out the motor?

Just need to make a mental note to myself to cover up the mirrors when I wash my car in frosty weather.

Best to turn off your powerfolds when there’s a risk of ice/frost

Ah, OK, is that because they can be damaged if stuck? I was hoping that they would stop trying to move if there was too much resistance.?

They probably would but no point in putting unnecessary stress on them, they can be very expensive to replace if they get damaged

A squirt of WD-40 on the hinge of each mirror is good to prevent freezing.

For Fiesta/Fusion:

Lock car using remote - mirrors fold in.

Unlock car with remote - mirrors fold out

30 secs later - car relocks itself - mirrors stay out.

May work with later models, don't know.

48 minutes ago, Paulkp said:

For Fiesta/Fusion:

Lock car using remote - mirrors fold in.

Unlock car with remote - mirrors fold out

30 secs later - car relocks itself - mirrors stay out.

May work with later models, don't know.

It should do, it’s the ‘auto relock’ function.

• Like 1

For anyone interested, the auto relock on my MK3.5 Focus also folds the mirrors again.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And this can also affect the the Wiper Blades if  "auto wipers" are left on that setting if they blades are stuck to the glass.

• Like 1

The auto lock system on my 2017 Fiesta Titanium doesn't leave the mirrors unfolded.

Iirc on the Mk 8 you can change the mirrors to remain unfolded in the vehicle settings menu. My last car (non - Ford) had the facility to lock the car with one press, leaving mirrors unfolded, or fold them in by keeping the button pressed for a couple of seconds when locking.

As far as I know there is no way to set them to do this on the Mk 8, but I would like to have the choice of leaving them in or out when locking, so if anyone knows different, please post how to do it!

Iirc on the Mk 8 you can change the mirrors to remain unfolded in the vehicle settings menu. My last car (non - Ford) had the facility to lock the car with one press, leaving mirrors unfolded, or fold them in by keeping the button pressed for a couple of seconds when locking.
As far as I know there is no way to set them to do this on the Mk 8, but I would like to have the choice of leaving them in or out when locking, so if anyone knows different, please post how to do it!
I think you're right about about the setting being available to leave the mirrors out when locked. I don't think you can do it by the press of a button like you could on your previous car though, sounds like a neat little trick though. In the winter months I turn the option to fold them in when locked to the off position but it would be good to be able to pick and choose depending on what time and for how long you left the car etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

In the winter months I turn the option to fold them in when locked to the off position

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that but then there are times (restricted space, vulnerability to vandalism etc) when you definitely want them folded in, and it's not really practical to be going through the menus every time, so I've just left them on the fold setting and hope they don't freeze! Other snag with the Mk 8 is they seem to collect loads of water when folded, it pours out when you unlock the car, makes you wonder if it gets into the electrics.

Seems to be a choice of leave them folded in and risk freezing/flooding or folded out and risk getting them ripped off!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Other snag with the Mk 8 is they seem to collect loads of water when folded, it pours out when you unlock the car, makes you wonder if it gets into the electrics.

Yes I noticed that the first time I washed it. Had just put on a full winter wax protection layer and stood back to admire all my hard work. Pressed the button to lock the car and watched  as a stream of water ran down my doors and continued to drip for the next 20 mins or so.. Not a problem especially with the wax, as it ran straight off but in the summer months it'll  mean I'll have to remember to go out after half an hour or so to dry off again to avoid the marks left from the hard water we have in this area.

Had powerfold on my mk6.5 if I locked using the key in the drivers door lock the mirrors did not fold in. Downside is the deadlocks aren’t on then.

Had powerfold on my mk6.5 if I locked using the key in the drivers door lock the mirrors did not fold in. Downside is the deadlocks aren’t on then.
Turn the key to the lock position then back to 'neutral' then back to the lock position and that should enable the dead locks

@isetta I didn't think of locking it just with the key. I can't check that on mine because I don't have powerfold on my focus [emoji3525] less to go wrong lol.

[mention=8039]EricBloodaxe would that work for you? Using the key to double lock and the mirrors should stay out?

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

mention=8039]EricBloodaxe would that work for you? Using the key to double lock and the mirrors should stay out?

Unfortunately not. Keyless start on mine so no key blade (except for the emergency one hidden in the fob). Double locking with the fob just....well, double locks.

According to the manual you can only set autofold on or off in the settings menu, and I've experimented a fair bit over the nearly 2 years I've had the car, without finding anything else. It is what it is, I suppose.

I forgot about not having a key, neither does mine (save the emergency blade) lol.

First world problems hey lol

• Haha 1

I think I will change the setting to off so they stay unfolded in the winter months, I work late a lot so can be frosty when I finish work.

Those that have keyless entry/start on the mk8 how do you lock your car, does the door have a button you can double press and pull handle quickly to check it’s locked, it’s like this on my 2010 focus or do you use the key fob?

Only got keyless start on mine so it's a fob job.😀

7 hours ago, mitch84 said:

I think I will change the setting to off so they stay unfolded in the winter months, I work late a lot so can be frosty when I finish work.

Those that have keyless entry/start on the mk8 how do you lock your car, does the door have a button you can double press and pull handle quickly to check it’s locked, it’s like this on my 2010 focus or do you use the key fob?

Yeah the keyless entry has three raised lines on the front door handles, double press deadlocks the car and the indicators flash.  To unlock you just put your hand into the door handle and pull. 

Or you can just use the fob as normal. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tef89 said:

Yeah the keyless entry has three raised lines on the front door handles, double press deadlocks the car and the indicators flash.  To unlock you just put your hand into the door handle and pull. 

Or you can just use the fob as normal. 

Cool thank's , is it a button on the handle or a sensor, on my 2010 focus with keyless its a button you press and I always press it twice to double lock it.

2 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Cool thank's , is it a button on the handle or a sensor, on my 2010 focus with keyless its a button you press and I always press it twice to double lock it.

So no button, just an embedded sensor (4x lines in fact) that you touch to lock.  The sensor inside the handle registers when you've put your hand in to open the door.

EN19EDL-8_20190918.jpg

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club