Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus mk 2

Donna white
聽Share

Hi there, looking for some advice please, I have a problem with my front wipers on my mk2 focus. They work some days then others they are stuck on slow mo and if I try to change the speed they just stop in random places. Can anyone shed some light on what to do as I have read that the relay is built in, help please 馃

Hi, yes the wiper relay is built into the GEM module as you say.

Easiest thing to check first is the GEM itself, it's the fusebox in the passenger side footwell.聽 Unplug the large multiplugs and check that they are clean and dry, (spray some contact cleaner in if you've got some) then replug them making sure they're tight.

If it's still the same then do the same with the plug on the wiper motor.

If it's still the same after that you'll need to check the wiring and relay electronically with a mulitmeter, or risk fitting a good used motor instead.聽 Depends on budget, time and electrical knowledge really, if you'd have to use an auto electrician for wiring tests then it'd be cheaper to risk a motor first.

• Like 1

Also one to check is the stalk itself, the stalk is subject to the most use in terms of physical movement and action, have a play with that with different angles/pressure/etc. And check if that makes a difference to the reactions of the wipers. It's an old car so it stands to reason that the actuator may be quite worn

A few days ago my brothers 2008 focus had wiper problem, in that wipers don鈥檛 work at all. So I had to investigate . To get to wiper motor and connector plug you need to remove wipers and remove the panel underneath the wipers. If I remember correctly the plug on the fuse box for the wipers is the big plug on top of fuse box at the end nearest centre of car. Slow speed is green and white, high speed is black and white. Quite thick wires. I suppose what I might do in your situation is shave some insulation off wire , use voltmeter to see if voltage goes on and off when motor falters, if it does the you know it鈥檚 not the motor. If it is switch I think you will hear relay inside the fuse box click as motor falters.聽

But even if relay does click on and off it might still be fault inside fuse box and not the switch, inside the fuse box is a circuit board with loads of bits soldered to it including computer type chips. It has been known for them to play up due to water getting in them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club