Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2016 Upgrading to Rear disc brakes

James Hawes

Anyone ever converted from rear drum brakes to rear disc brakes?

Thinking of doing this but wondered if anyone had ever done it, or will it require replacing half the car??!!

James

Did it on my 2008 Plate, you will need a rear beam from a ST180 took me a day to carry out the conversion. You will also need a handbrake cable from an ST as well as the flexi hoses

Is it worth the effort, I wouldn’t have thought so unless it’s used for racing.

24 minutes ago, isetta said:

Is it worth the effort, I wouldn’t have thought so unless it’s used for racing.

? It's well worth the effort took me a couple of hours to drop an axle and put the new on in. longest part was moving all the heatshields to do the handbrake cable. Whether you are modding or racing cant see what the racing things all about , racing wont give you any benefits with an st180 axle,but modding then yes the rear setup looks a lot better than drums

Hi, when I mentioned racing it was from the point of view of needing better brake performance and brakes getting very hot. Disc brakes give better performance than drums but for normal driving on normal roads the drums are adequate and I would not notice the difference if I fitted discs.  I admit James did not say why - whether it was for the brake performance or the looks.

13 minutes ago, isetta said:

Hi, when I mentioned racing it was from the point of view of needing better brake performance and brakes getting very hot. Disc brakes give better performance than drums but for normal driving on normal roads the drums are adequate and I would not notice the difference if I fitted discs.  I admit James did not say why - whether it was for the brake performance or the looks.

Having done the conversion i cant say braking is noticeaby any better, the st fronts i put on seem to handle most of the stopping more than adequatley. I guess the rear discs do help a little better than drums,Crazy i know but i look at the rears and smile as it just looks so much better than drums.If i  was doing anything on the brakes for performance then i would look at going beyond the st fronts but as with all things racing it will cost a lot more. The price of some kits could outprice the car !! lol

Hi everyone,

I want to do this purely for cosmetics- I have some nice gun-metal coloured alloys but the rear looks a bit crap with drums. I fancy the look of tear discs and getting the calipers powder coated gun-metal.

The whole process looks like a pretty big job....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club