Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Multi link suspension on mk4

Jay035

Hi guys I have a 68 plate focus mk4 1.5 ecoboost ST Line 

I have read on the forum that the Independent rear suspension has now been repaired with twist beam suspension from 2019

I don't have my car to check but would my earlier st line models have this in the 1.5 petrol engine 

Thanks 

I think it was changed in production around Apri/May 2019, so your 68 plate almost certainly has multi-link IRS.

My 68 plate 1.5 Titanium was built in Dec 2018 and certainly has multi link.

That's good to know thanks for the response.

I find this so strange of ford considering a competitor like honda now has IRS on both the 1.0 & 1.5 civic 

I thought the idea was continuous improvement not moving backwards??? 

1 hour ago, Jay035 said:

That's good to know thanks for the response.

I find this so strange of ford considering a competitor like honda now has IRS on both the 1.0 & 1.5 civic 

I thought the idea was continuous improvement not moving 

Does Independent rear supension really make a difference on lower powered cars? Many car makers no longer long offer it. Look at Mazda Vauxhall & VW. It gave Ford an excuse to do it I suppose. 

7 hours ago, Jay035 said:

I thought the idea was continuous improvement not moving backwards??? 

Me too. I have a 1.5l 182 built after May 2019 , the rear suspension was one of the reasons for me choosing the car that I did. Ford kept the change quiet. I’ve never driven a focus with multi link so don’t know the difference. I’m told the twist beam is  derived from the Fiesta ST twist beam and that I’d have to be on a track to maybe tell the difference...

Yeah but upping the price on the range and replacing a superior part to a lesser part is not cool. Also all reviews that rave about the excellent handling pertain to the mk4 with IRS on release not on the twist beam rear suspension. 

I can confirm thankfully my 68 plate 1.5 ecoboost does indeed have independent suspension. 

The below is an article from Australia but interesting read, make of it what you will... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goauto.com.au/amp/ford/focus/why-most-ford-focus-models-ditch-irs/2018-07-24/74335.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Good read. I have the twist beam 

It needs a motoring magazine or something like that to do a blind test of the two versions

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, isetta said:

It needs a motoring magazine or something like that to do a blind test of the two versions

Comparisons were made  extensively last year at the launch of the MK4 and many concluded that most drivers would never notice the difference as the twist beam was exceptional in it's own right. Fords biggest mistake in my view was to use Multilink at all. They should have just put the twist beam on all models from the start.

• Like 1

100% agree 

That's the IRS pic I captured of my ST Line

I remember seeing another member uploading a pic of the focus with the twist beam suspension but cannot find it

I suppose the only benifit of the twist beam would be less to go wrong, less to replace 

DSC_3772~2.JPG

Do you have any video or articles links...

would be an interesting read

There were various reviews at the time some on youtube that may still be there.One German where they drove an ST line 182ps flat out up and down an autobahn at 230kph.

@Jay035, Your photo is not showing at this end. Here is a photo of the Twist Beam Suspension as fitted to my car.

I would also be interested in a not fixed blind test of both suspension systems on real roads, not a race track, if one exists. I wouldn't pay much attention to what is written in the press about most things, a lot of it is cut and pasted from the beneficiaries press releases, that is how things work now. Most large organisations have press officers for that reason.

It is not just a handling thing it is a comfort thing as well. A lot of the roads where I live are uneven along their width as well as their length because of the volumes of traffic and the number of heavies, and Independent Multi Link Suspension handles them much better. My old Rover 400 with Multi Link Suspension gave a more comfortable ride than my Focus without any compromise on handling.

I'm not saying that Twist Beam Suspension is bad, it is just not as good as Multi Link.

DSC_0623.thumb.JPG.1bd2dd3f7dfd706caeaa96fc45d97fe4.JPG

2 hours ago, isetta said:

Yes, I'd love to see that as well, be much more interesting (in my opinion) than yet another SUV test or Ferrari vs Lambo vs McLaren. 

You might get it on 5th Gear,  I'm really enjoying it at the moment.  They review cars you actually drive.  It might not be as flashbang as TG or GT but I like it.

• Like 1

Comfort is such a personal thing I don't think you could trust anyone else's review in all honesty, the only way to do it would be to test both yourself.

I'm pretty sure I could tell the difference...and pretty sure my Mum/Nan/Sister wouldn't...

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

You might get it on 5th Gear,  I'm really enjoying it at the moment.  They review cars you actually drive.  It might not be as flashbang as TG or GT but I like it.

Yeah, me too. They've actually tested one or two which were on my/the Mrs's "future possibilities" list, which was great!😀

• Like 1

Cheers mate I've tried reuploading again not sure if it'll work definitely different to what I have. 

DSC_3772~2.JPG

38 minutes ago, Jay035 said:

Cheers mate I've tried reuploading again not sure if it'll work definitely different to what I have.

The photo uploaded ok this time.

When you compare that to what my car has the difference is like night and day. Lucky you for getting an earlier build model.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club