Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen heater glinting

Chris J W

I have a new (Dec 18) Focus Titanium Estate and following a windscreen crack Autoglass have replaced it.

The latest carries the Ford logo and Pilkington manufacture marks but still the heater element glints when the sun goes across the screen.

This is the 3rd replacement but is still very poor, is it just me ( I don't remember ever seeing this originally) or is there some problem with the supply line ?

Always had trouble with my Focus and glare/glinting during bright days or at night with headlights. My Focus's screen was replaced by a Pilkington one before purchase as the heated screen had failed on one side so don't know if that one had the same trouble.

It was then replaced again as a chip cracked, and had the same results (unsure of the make of the second replacement, fitted by National).

• Like 1

I've got an original Ford one and you can see the wires in the windscreen, the sun does catch them sometimes and create coloured patterns. Every Ford I've had with a heated windscreen has done this. It's not enough to obscure my vision or distract from safe driving. I don't think its possible to add fine wires into a windscreen and have them invisible under all lighting conditions.

• Like 2

Yeah I've suffered this with my old Focus, and every Ford we have with it fitted. Just the way it is really.

• Like 1

Yes, had 4 Fords with heated screen and all have been annoyingly visible in certain lighting conditions. But I did find the screen very useful the other morning after the car was parked overnight in -5C!😀  Like most things, swings and roundabouts., I suppose.

• Like 2

Love my quick clear screen, that’s why I bought another ford. If all cars had them I would probably have bought something else. I sometimes get that glinting of the heating filament but only rarely when the sun is at a certain angle

• Like 2

Common but only shows opinion certain light condition, what do you really expect from thin wires embedded in the glass, invisible 99% of the time.

• Like 2

I don't understand why all cars don't have heated front screens. Would hate to be without it now

• Like 1

I have always thought Ford do not do enough to promote the quickclear windscreens. many people I know with other make cars have never heard of these windscreens and how they work. I do recall some fiesta adverts many years ago showing a frosted windscreen and then it clearing and saying 'clever fiesta' I think it was. I still think they could sell more if they promote it more.

I don't know which ones don't have it as standard now. My 2015 Fiesta Style has it as an optional extra. A lot of Fiesta Styles don't have it, it's mad not paying the £100 extra cost for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gillyallan said:

I don't understand why all cars don't have heated front screens. Would hate to be without it now

It's a Ford invention and they have the copyright other cars will have it when the copyright runs out.

• Like 1

The patent ran out a few years ago, it's an option on loads of cars now.  Afaik, Ford are still the only ones to make it standard on all but the cheapest trim levels though.  Zetec/ST-Line and above get it as standard.  It's optional on Style/Studio/Trend.

When I was looking at VW CC's (the posh Passat!) I was surprised to see they had the option of heated screens back in 2012!  You can get them on most new VW group cars now though...BUT they have no visible wires because they use a very thin metal layer in the glass, instead of elements.   As much as I like the Quikclear screens, and definitely miss it from my Golf at the time if year, I did always find the elements were visible in sun, and caused starring around headlights at night.

• Like 2

Thanks to all who replied, I know that once something has been highlighted its sometimes difficult not to make it a problem, so thanks for letting me know what to expect. This is my second 1.0 ltr Focus Estate, I drove company cars for 35 years all over the SE, I love this Focus in all other respects. Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billyboy said:

It's a Ford invention and they have the copyright other cars will have it when the copyright runs out.

My girlfriend has a Nissan Qashqai and that has a heated windscreen too, a load of volkswagens have them too. The patent ran out some time ago

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club