Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti-roll bar / sway bar

reilig

I'm opening a new thread on this, even thought I have a long thread on the issues which have lead me to here. 

My 12 focus 1.6tcdi has had a range of new  parts fitted to try to solve clunking and rattling noises. It's still no better. It has had 2 x new wishbones. New shocks and mounts, all 3 engine mounts replaced, new drop links. 

The car has been in 4 different garages, including a main dealer and slight wear in all of these have been identified as potential causes of the clunk as I move up and down gears 1 to 3. But while some of these replacements have solved the problem for a few days or up to a week, the clunk keeps coming back.  It feels like something is physically moving at the bottom of the engine. I can make it move by accelerating hard in gears 1 to 3 and decelerating suddenly. As the gearbox takes the force of the slowdown, there is a clunk and movement. It is far more noticible when the car is cold!

This week, I seem to have developed more of a rattle, which possibly comes from the same place as this clunk noise - it is audible when i go over a rough surface or when I hit a pothole. It is on the right side, but when I hit a pothole on the left side, it seems to transfer through to the right side as well. This leads me to this thread. The anti - roll bar transfer roll and movement from side to side, so hitting a pothole on the left would transfer to the right?

I don't know much about anti-roll bars. I replaced the drop links myself only last week. The roll bar seems secure, but it was attached to the drop link on the other side - so I'm guessing that it would need to be on a lift to check it out. Is it possible that the bushings could be worn and causing the clunk? (I read that the bushings will squeek when worn, but mine have not squeeked. Or could the flexibility of the roll bar be compromised - could it be flexing too much? I'm guessing that the best way to check it is to remove both drop links and bring it for a drive - is it safe to do that? 

Any information, ideas or advice would be appreciated!

Yes the whole thing is loaded when it's on the ground you would had to lift both wheels up. It would be safe to drive in moderation but no fast cornering or banging over potholes.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club