Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New ST Line X owner, couple of questions

mitch84

Had this on a few cars now and It's quite useful if pausing momentarily on a slope, such as if you're in stop/start traffic on a hill. Idea is it gives you a few moments to switch your right foot off the brake on to the accelerator ready to move off again. I wouldn't normally keep my foot on the brake longer than a few seconds to avoid dazzling the driver behind (though some people do), I use the handbrake if stopping longer.

• Like 3

Is there an auto lock doors on the mk8 when driving, I presume there is a button somewhere I can press manually? 

Wondered if it can do it automatically the moment I get in the car and drive.

4 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Is there an auto lock doors on the mk8 when driving, I presume there is a button somewhere I can press manually? 

Oh dear...

Image result for can of worms

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

You can lock the doors manually from inside the car using the buttons in front of the drivers door handle. Afaik the doors will not lock automatically at say, 5mph, which is what I assume you mean? 

I think some members have found ways to enable it using Forscan. See the "Mk 8 Forscan chat" thread.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You can lock the doors manually from inside the car using the buttons in front of the drivers door handle. Afaik the doors will not lock automatically at say, 5mph, which is what I assume you mean? 

I think some members have found ways to enable it using Forscan. See the "Mk 8 Forscan chat" thread.

There is an easy config in Forscan for this as above. If you google MK8 enable auto lock on YouTube, there’s a video to show how to do it

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

2 hours ago, DG97 said:

There is an easy config in Forscan for this as above. If you google MK8 enable auto lock on YouTube, there’s a video to show how to do it

Thank you, I have heard of this forscan but have no idea how to use it, as there is a button I will just use that.

• Like 1

Is sync 3.3 the latest update along with F8 maps, that's what the info says in my car.

I just put my VIN into Ford update site and it said an update was available but unsure if that might just be a duplicate update of what I already have.

The update file I downloaded was sync3_2938367228.

5 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Is sync 3.3 the latest update along with F8 maps, that's what the info says in my car.

I just put my VIN into Ford update site and it said an update was available but unsure if that might just be a duplicate update of what I already have.

The update file I downloaded was sync3_2938367228.

Sync 3.3 is the major version of Sync that you have. It is the build number that dictates the update you have installed. F8 maps are the most recent. If the website says there’s an update, there’s an update. It won’t be a duplicate 🙂 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DG97 said:

Sync 3.3 is the major version of Sync that you have. It is the build number that dictates the update you have installed. F8 maps are the most recent. If the website says there’s an update, there’s an update. It won’t be a duplicate 🙂 

Cool, I still need to set it all up, I gather I should install ford pass on my phone.

But confused on the correct order to do things.

44 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Cool, I still need to set it all up, I gather I should install ford pass on my phone.

But confused on the correct order to do things.

No need for Ford Pass to do the updates. As far as I’m aware, the Ford Pass app is relatively pointless. 
To do the update, you can download the files, extract to an exFat USB, plug it in to the car, let the update do its thing and you’re done. The instructions from Ford are fairly alright at explaining the steps. At the end of it you get and xml file that you need to upload back to the website to confirm the update.

i think the car has functionality to update via WiFi but as far as I recall, this doesn’t work in the UK at the moment or at least is very temperamental

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DG97 said:

No need for Ford Pass to do the updates. As far as I’m aware, the Ford Pass app is relatively pointless. 
To do the update, you can download the files, extract to an exFat USB, plug it in to the car, let the update do its thing and you’re done. The instructions from Ford are fairly alright at explaining the steps. At the end of it you get and xml file that you need to upload back to the website to confirm the update.

i think the car has functionality to update via WiFi but as far as I recall, this doesn’t work in the UK at the moment or at least is very temperamental.

My car I picked up last weekend updates via my home Wifi or the cars in-built wifi. I was told by the dealer to park on the drive within signal range. Turn ignition on and the car will perform any necessary updates. The car can also do this via it's in-built WiFi connection.

I think my Sync may be 3.4. (Will check that when I go in car later).

The wife's Mk8 as far as I am still aware does not and will not update via WiFi and does not have built in WiFi. She has been told to take it into the dealer and they will update any out if date software and maps for her.

Ford pass will record your journeys if you wish it to, giving fuel usages, showing Mpg's and costs etc. It shows the current location of the vehicle at all times (like a tracker), fuel level, tyre pressures, oil life and a lot more.

You can lock and unlock the car with your phone also if you wish to.

Just trying to add my car to ford pass app, just get a searching spinning wheel and then a message saying sorry something is not right please try again.

Tried on Ford website and it finds the car but clicking add vehicle doesn't do anything.

Can ford pass be a bit temperamental?

Maybe I will try tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, Mavroz said:

My car I picked up last weekend updates via my home Wifi or the cars in-built wifi. I was told by the dealer to park on the drive within signal range. Turn ignition on and the car will perform any necessary updates. The car can also do this via it's in-built WiFi connection.

I think my Sync may be 3.4. (Will check that when I go in car later).

The wife's Mk8 as far as I am still aware does not and will not update via WiFi and does not have built in WiFi. She has been told to take it into the dealer and they will update any out if date software and maps for her.

Ford pass will record your journeys if you wish it to, giving fuel usages, showing Mpg's and costs etc. It shows the current location of the vehicle at all times (like a tracker), fuel level, tyre pressures, oil life and a lot more.

You can lock and unlock the car with your phone also if you wish to.

I thought all MK8s had Wifi ?  I know my 67 plate does.

The only thing that concerns me about updating via Wifi if they've now enabled it in the UK Martin is the length of time it will take.

If we accept that the USB method takes around 45 minutes to an hour @ realistic USB2 speeds of 20-40 MBps, then even if it's 5Ghz Wifi to the car's APIM (you're far more likely to see 2.4Ghz as it travels further), it would take a similar amount of time to complete, if not longer.

I'm genuinely interested to see how your first update works out 🙂

Yeah, all mk8's have the ability to connect via a WiFi connection but the newer ones have their own built in modem. I am guessing that is how the car communicates with Ford Pass etc etc.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/research/technology/connectivity/fordpass-connectivity

• Like 1

I have downloaded the latest update from ford updates website, unzipped it and then copied it to an empty usb drive formatted to exfat.

Should the files be in a folder? When I unzipped it created a folder, unsure if thats ok or the files should be on the usb drive individually.

have a file call auto.install , dontindex and about 7 syncmyride files but they are all in a folder on the usb.

Just now, mitch84 said:

I have downloaded the latest update fro ford updates website, unzipped it and then copied it to an empty usb drive formatted to exfat.

Should the files be in a folder? When I unzipped it created a folder, unsure if thats ok or the files should be on the usb drive individually.

have a file call auto.install , dontindex and about 7 syncmyride files but they are all in a folder on the usb.

Take them out of the folder and delete the empty folder. All files should be in the root of the drive for the update to start

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DG97 said:

Take them out of the folder and delete the empty folder. All files should be in the root of the drive for the update to start

Thanks did that, on ford instructions it says I should have a folder called "SyncMyRide" , but if not to create one.

So I created that folder above and moved all the sync my ride files into that. And the other 2 files, dontindex and autoinstall are separate on the root of the drive.

Does that sound correct? 

This is how I have it:

• One folder with the title “SyncMyRide” including system update files

• One file “autoinstall.lst”

• One file “DONTINDX.MSA”

3 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Just trying to add my car to ford pass app, just get a searching spinning wheel and then a message saying sorry something is not right please try again.

Tried on Ford website and it finds the car but clicking add vehicle doesn't do anything.

Can ford pass be a bit temperamental?

Maybe I will try tomorrow. 

Does your car have the embedded modem?

If not ,maybe that is the issue.

I think the wife has the connect app but certain features on hers such as unlock/lock doors are inactive as her car doesn't have the modem. Not sure what else works and what doesn't on hers.

Edited by Mavroz
Added content.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Does your car have the embedded modem?

If not ,maybe that is the issue.

I think the wife has the connect app but certain features on hers such as unlock/lock doors are inactive as her car doesn't have the modem. Not sure what else works and what doesn't on hers.

Its activated now, and all my car data is on the app so I presume the modem has been activated.

Cant see any live traffic under subscriptions yet though, but perhaps I need to turn it on in the car?

I also haven't connected my car to the home wifi yet.

Do you have the ability to lock and unlock the car with the app now?

Also, does the app show the car location out of curiosity?

This is a screenshot of the ford app on the in car screen. Without going to the wife's car today, can't do an immediate comparison.

Sync is also V 3.3 .

20191208_163541.jpg

20191208_163526.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Do you have the ability to lock and unlock the car with the app now?

Also, does the app show the car location out of curiosity?

This is a screenshot of the ford app on the in car screen. Without going to the wife's car today, can't do an immediate comparison.

Sync is also V 3.3 .imageproxy.php?img=&key=0e662d3074f136c9

20191208_163541.jpg

20191208_163526.jpg

Yes looks the same and have the unlock lock car ability but haven't tried it yet and also the car location, I just need to set up live traffic, unsure where I need to enable it?

I have looked on the ford pass app on phone but can't see any options to do so.

Excellent.

Can't help much with the live traffic as the dealership set it all up prior to me collecting the car.

The Mrs has the app but it doesn't show the car location or allow the unlock or lock function. The bizarre thing is it logs the journey when in my car with her phone but my phone doesn't haha. 

Reading all this with interest, but wondering if anyone else feels nostalgia for the days when you could just get a new car and drive it!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Reading all this with interest, but wondering if anyone else feels nostalgia for the days when you could just get a new car and drive it!😀

Ahh those were the days eh. 🤣

Most advanced bit of tech on my Mini Metro was the wooden peg I kept hidden underneath the car to open the window with when I locked my keys inside.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club