Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New ST Line X owner, couple of questions

mitch84

7 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Often wonder why folks worry so much about the odd mpg (particularly after buying a "sporty" car) when your biggest motoring expense is usually depreciation.

It's because it's a constantly noticeable outgoing compared to depreciation which will only be confirmed when you sell.

I always worry about MPG and drive a mile or two out of my way for a couple of pence off of each litre. (A whole pound cheaper on a 50 litre fill!)

Probably save about a fiver a month by getting an extra 2 MPG and getting the cheaper fuel...compared to the ~£100 a month I'm losing in depreciation on 7 year old cars... 😮 :laugh:

Interesting point there though, I use a BP garage slightly into the town, which is the same price as the supermarket fuel on the main roads in the other direction...  Not sure how much longer I'll bother now theres no more Nectar points at BP though.  And thier rewards scheme doesn't seem to work at that small station so can't redeem points there.  Some Esso stations now offer Nectar points but none locally.  Again it seems daft worrying about 1p return per litre I know!! Used to get triple points on most fills though...so that's like 75p off a tank! :lol:

12 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Without wanting to get you started😀, I've come across things like that before. A few years back I enquired, just out of interest, what the insurance would cost if I swapped my "normal" Civic for a Type R, and it was less. I could get no explanation other than "that's what the computer says"! 

Did you get any logical reason? I suppose it could be that the Mk 8 has better brakes and more safety kit, but whatever, that's a great saving!

I didn't get a reason tbh. Possibly has something to do with the extra safety kit like you say, and maybe because there are less St-line x's on the road than mk 7.5 titanium's. I was just too happy with the saving that I got haha.

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's because it's a constantly noticeable outgoing compared to depreciation which will only be confirmed when you sell.

I always worry about MPG and drive a mile or two out of my way for a couple of pence off of each litre. (A whole pound cheaper on a 50 litre fill!)

Yeah, I know what you mean. We used to laugh at a guy at work who would always drive to the cheapest filling station. It really was the cheapest in the area, but it was on the other side of the city, so we reckoned he wasted at least a gallon just driving there and back, but you couldn't tell him.........😀

• Haha 1

I use Costco Premium 97 in mine, but I appreciate that won’t be an option for all.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Without wanting to get you started😀, I've come across things like that before. A few years back I enquired, just out of interest, what the insurance would cost if I swapped my "normal" Civic for a Type R, and it was less. I could get no explanation other than "that's what the computer says"! 

Did you get any logical reason? I suppose it could be that the Mk 8 has better brakes and more safety kit, but whatever, that's a great saving!

The difference in insurance  price from my Mondeo to a Ferrari is  £500! Not that I can afford or want a Ferrari. Insurance prices never makes any sense. 

• Haha 1

I always fill up with Shell. I have their app and card, so every 10 fills get a little money off (normally £2-3). I've only used V-Power when there was an offer on from it. Last year (and this year) all fills were from Shell, apart from one, where in Dunfermline SatNav thought there was a Shell but it had been demolished 2 or 3 years ago. 

In previous years, I've used V-Power Diesel, the only difference felt was I'm lighter............... In my Back pocket!!

Pretty sure my FordPass app picture now reflects the actual spec of my car lol. Is everyone else’s the same?

5E2BDFFF-A11B-4695-8FE6-946F3F113048.png

Yes, always has shown the exact model and colour I have.

Mine just looked like a generic picture at first, pretty cool that it does that.

Looking to join the ST-Line club shortly, currently got a DS3 1.6.

I've seen a 3 door, metallic, ST-Line 140 at a local dealer for a quid under £12K. No Sat Nav or reverse sensors/camera but 1 previous owner, 2 years old in March (18 reg) and has just under 7k on the clock.

Is that a decent price or am I likely to find extra features on a vehicle with that type of mileage for the money if I wait it out? The various car search sites have it priced as slightly above market value by about £300-400.

Cheers

Baz

1 hour ago, Bazzle said:

Looking to join the ST-Line club shortly, currently got a DS3 1.6.

I've seen a 3 door, metallic, ST-Line 140 at a local dealer for a quid under £12K. No Sat Nav or reverse sensors/camera but 1 previous owner, 2 years old in March (18 reg) and has just under 7k on the clock.

Is that a decent price or am I likely to find extra features on a vehicle with that type of mileage for the money if I wait it out? The various car search sites have it priced as slightly above market value by about £300-400.

Cheers

Baz

Seems like an ok price to me, can always haggle it down a bit. I’d probably look for one with a few more options though, will make it more desirable in the future and I assume it’s just an ST-Line and not an X.

• Like 2

As Daniel says, seems to be in the right ball park, always worth a haggle. Also agree on the spec question. If you're happy with the standard ST-L spec, that's fine. But if, like a few owners on here have, you might start hankering for some of the extras like sat nav, automatic climate, auto wipers etc, etc, you may be better off looking for an X in the first place.

• Like 2

Cheers guys. Not overly fussed about sat nav if I can just use Google maps through Sync 3. Reverse sensors would be nice as I have them now, but not a deal breaker really.

I only probably do 4-5k miles a year so it's not like I spend half of my life driving either, so although the extras would be nice, I'd probably have to wait to find the perfect car at the perfect price. They're probably offering £300-£400 more for my car than I've been quoted elsewhere on trade in, so my bartering position on the vehicle price is weakened somewhat I reckon.

On reflection, if it's in very good condition, I'd probably be happy paying 12k but I know I'll find a better deal a week after buying it 😂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bazzle said:

Cheers guys. Not overly fussed about sat nav if I can just use Google maps through Sync 3. Reverse sensors would be nice as I have them now, but not a deal breaker really.

I only probably do 4-5k miles a year so it's not like I spend half of my life driving either, so although the extras would be nice, I'd probably have to wait to find the perfect car at the perfect price. They're probably offering £300-£400 more for my car than I've been quoted elsewhere on trade in, so my bartering position on the vehicle price is weakened somewhat I reckon.

On reflection, if it's in very good condition, I'd probably be happy paying 12k but I know I'll find a better deal a week after buying it 😂

Hi Bazzle.  Buying a car from a dealer with a trade in is a bit like squeezing a balloon lol, squeeze one end it comes out the other.

In relation to the extras, I'm a little toward the other side of the fence.  My Ford Direct MK8 (non ST L) was dripping in extras and I really wish I'd not paid the heavy premium for them.  I also know I'll struggle to recoup the value when I come to sell as it won't be to a private buyer when I do.

If there is stuff you know for sure you need then fair enough, but I'd argue for a little caution when paying a lot more for the extra little shiny bits 😁

Full disclosure, I probably feel this way cos a good few of the 'extras' on my 67 plate either have issues or are things I would have never spec'd if I'd have bought new.

3 hours ago, tef89 said:

Hi Bazzle.  Buying a car from a dealer with a trade in is a bit like squeezing a balloon lol, squeeze one end it comes out the other.

In relation to the extras, I'm a little toward the other side of the fence.  My Ford Direct MK8 (non ST L) was dripping in extras and I really wish I'd not paid the heavy premium for them.  I also know I'll struggle to recoup the value when I come to sell as it won't be to a private buyer when I do.

If there is stuff you know for sure you need then fair enough, but I'd argue for a little caution when paying a lot more for the extra little shiny bits 😁

Full disclosure, I probably feel this way cos a good few of the 'extras' on my 67 plate either have issues or are things I would have never spec'd if I'd have bought new.

Hi tef, I decided to go for it and hopefully pick it up next week!

I only need sat nav very occasionally so Google maps through SYNC 3 will be fine when I need it. As mentioned, I deal in short trips and low mileage mostly so it's not like I'd get full value out of the extras anyway... And like you say, in part ex in 3+ years, the dealers don't tend to look that closely at spec. They've not even seen my car yet but already agreed a guaranteed £3,650 trade in price as it'll just get sent to auction.

The car I looked at looked pretty tidy despite not yet having a valet, so hopefully it'll be even shinier once it's had a once over!

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 9:26 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

As Daniel says, seems to be in the right ball park, always worth a haggle. Also agree on the spec question. If you're happy with the standard ST-L spec, that's fine. But if, like a few owners on here have, you might start hankering for some of the extras like sat nav, automatic climate, auto wipers etc, etc, you may be better off looking for an X in the first place.

Totally agree. When I had my mk7.5 stl and the Mrs got her new Mk8 stlx, the extras made all the difference.

I was never interested in folding mirrors, auto headlights, rev camera etc etc BUT when I got my own StLX, I am so glad I did as I would not want a car without the extras now and will always pay that bit extra to have them all fitted.

• 4 weeks later...

Those with the panoramic sunroof, at what speed is best to have it closed, guessing it will get noisy at a certain speed?

One other thing I had my iPhone connected via usb, using apple car play. I found that playing songs on apple music app was a bit random, at times it would take a while for a track to play and sometimes one track would play but the next up tracks wouldn't. It was ok after a while though.

Do you think I could of just been in an area with poor signal?

3 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Those with the panoramic sunroof, at what speed is best to have it closed, guessing it will get noisy at a certain speed?

One other thing I had my iPhone connected via usb, using apple car play. I found that playing songs on apple music app was a bit random, at times it would take a while for a track to play and sometimes one track would play but the next up tracks wouldn't. It was ok after a while though.

Do you think I could of just been in an area with poor signal?

Funnily enough today was the first day in a while I've had my roof open.  It's really dependant on wind noise like you mention, but I tend to close mine once I get about 50+.  I use it mainly as an alternative to having the side window open around town as the Fiesta seems to channel any air directly into your face sometimes.  I also have a worrying suspicion that with my luck the glass will fly off the car if I keep it open any faster 😁

I've only ever experienced what you've mentioned with my previous car (not a Fiesta) where it would stall on Spotify at certain tracks.  Not sure what was causing it, other than suspecting it was an issue with how the system in the car was interpreting the information from the app.

• Thanks 1

For some reason I can't seem to get BBC radio 2 on DAB, I can get it on FM though. 

1 hour ago, mitch84 said:

For some reason I can't seem to get BBC radio 2 on DAB, I can get it on FM though. 

DAB can be quite temperamental on mine as well, sometimes it picks up the station sometimes not.

• Like 1

I don't know why they can't boost the DAB signal a bit, it seems dodgy in all cars & areas from what I've seen!

I get it for 90% of the journey but then lose it towards the end destination, very annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtulip8 said:

DAB can be quite temperamental on mine as well, sometimes it picks up the station sometimes not.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't know why they can't boost the DAB signal a bit, it seems dodgy in all cars & areas from what I've seen!

I get it for 90% of the journey but then lose it towards the end destination, very annoying.

I will have another go of tuning then, I normally just press the auto tune until it picks up a channel, I gather you can enter manually as well so will get the DAB channel number for radio 2, it was fine on my old focus on DAB in same location.

• 1 month later...

4 months on from owning my fiesta, my MPG is creeping up as we come into the warmer months ahead, it's settled around 43.6 currently, a few weeks back when it was still a little nippy it was around 41-42mpg.

Those that use Apple car play or Android, do you prefer the Ford navigation map or your phones map, in my case Apple maps, I'm not fussed either way but just wondered if anyone finds any advantage to using one over the other.

8 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

4 months on from owning my fiesta, my MPG is creeping up as we come into the warmer months ahead, it's settled around 43.6 currently, a few weeks back when it was still a little nippy it was around 41-42mpg.

Those that use Apple car play or Android, do you prefer the Ford navigation map or your phones map, in my case Apple maps, I'm not fussed either way but just wondered if anyone finds any advantage to using one over the other.

I tend to use google maps or waze rather than the ford nav. I find the traffic avoidance not as good on the ford navigation.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

I tend to use google maps or waze rather than the ford nav. I find the traffic avoidance not as good on the ford navigation.

i have waze installed might try that instead of apple maps, didn't think to try other apps on my phone.