Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Demister

bottletree

Is it possible to fit a windscreen demister to an LX model? If there's one optional extra i would love and which i feel should be standard on ALL cars because its a safety issue is the windscreen demister.Who gives a damn about the rear window. I dont drive in reverse all the way to work in the morning :angry:

Does anyone have a clue on cost and if its possible? :huh:

Is it possible to fit a windscreen demister to an LX model? If there's one optional extra i would love and which i feel should be standard on ALL cars because its a safety issue is the windscreen demister.Who gives a damn about the rear window. I dont drive in reverse all the way to work in the morning :angry:

I suppose it is really. But would cost money. I've got an LX which has just been partially converted to a Ghia. It's got a dash with the front demister button fitted. But obviously if I wanted to make it work (which it doesn't, and probably never will), I'd need to buy a "heated" windscreen which I'd imagine would cost around £200. And then there's the case of fitting the circuit from the switch to the windscreen. Which I have to be honest, I know nothing about.

But basically, it wouldn't be a cheap job.

Ford had the patent for the front windscreen demister for a few years and you would have thought it would be standard on all their cars. But alas its not. Its such a vital thing to have i think i would be tempted to spend close to £300 to have it done. Will look into it.Its worth it if i have the car for the next 6 or 7 years.

Was it Ford who first thought of it? :o

I was expecting a gadget like that to first be seen on a Merc S-Class. :lol:

I agree with you though, it's such a simple idea. And if it's standard on every car for the back window why the hell are they not doing it for the windscreen?!

Was it Ford who first thought of it? ohmy.gif

I was expecting a gadget like that to first be seen on a Merc S-Class. laugh.gif

I agree with you though, it's such a simple idea. And if it's standard on every car for the back window why the hell are they not doing it for the windscreen?!

youll need more than 300 quid by the time you get the screen tyhen the fitting then get the wiring done which originally cionnects to the heated washer jets

On a side note to this, Ive already got the heated winscreen but only half works, I understand this means the screen will need replacing (Its chipped anyway). Anyone had this screen replaced before and how much I can expect to pay? Its a Mk1 Focus Zetec.

Is it possible to fit a windscreen demister to an LX model? If there's one optional extra i would love and which I feel should be standard on ALL cars because its a safety issue is the windscreen demister. Who gives a damn about the rear window. I don't drive in reverse all the way to work in the morning :angry:

Does anyone have a clue on cost and if it's possible? :huh:

In my experience the heated front screen is a mixed blessing. In certain conditions, such as low sun or oncoming headlights, the elements show up and impair vision. Also if the screen is chipped there's a strong possibility it'll crack if used on a freezing morning due to heat stresses.

I also run an old Rover 75 and that has a demisting button which puts on full blower to the screen, aircon and full heat. It clears the screen in literally seconds, a lot faster than the heated screen on my Focus.

'I also run an old Rover 75 and that has a demisting button which puts on full blower to the screen, aircon and full heat. It clears the screen in literally seconds, a lot faster than the heated screen on my Focus'.

The Focus also has this feature whereby the air con comes on and clears the inside of the screen in seconds. The point of the heated front windscreen is to clear frost/ice in the winter from the outside of the screen which the blowers are not able to do.

Point taken. However the other issues are still valid.

I just had a thought actually. There's quite a good compromise if you use the air conditioning to clear the screen. I've done this and it clears it rather quickly.

And the Mercedes Sprinter we use in work has a "quick clear" button for the screen. But the screen isn't actually fitted with an element. Press the button and it sets the air-con in a certain way to clear the screen.

That's because the aircon dries the incoming air but, as hillmangimp pointed out, it's no good for clearing the outside of the screen.

My Focus is the first car I've owned with a heated front screen and, as I said, I find the elements can make it more difficult to see under some conditions so I wouldn't necessarily want another.

Aircon is very useful all year round, a lot of people I know think its a summer only thing but in the winter its very good for keeping the windows steam free. Regular use of aircon also helps to keep it operational and less likely to sieze up due to lack of use.

Agreed. Regular use is recommended to keep the compressor and seals lubricated.

On a side note to this, Ive already got the heated winscreen but only half works, I understand this means the screen will need replacing (Its chipped anyway). Anyone had this screen replaced before and how much I can expect to pay? Its a Mk1 Focus Zetec.

Most insurance excess are around £75 for a screen. Not to bad i think :o

Most insurance excess are around £75 for a screen. Not to bad i think :o

I've already tried to go through my insurance company, They're only willing to replace it with a normal windscreen as the 'heated' feature isn't covered.

Insurance companies!!! :angry: You would think they would cover everything that was factory fitted to the car.

I think I'll check my policy.

Mike

Heres the quote from autoglass to replace the heated windscreen.

Autoglass Price: £540.58 (inclusive of fitting and VAT).

I think i'll leave it :)

I would think about complaining if your insurance won't pay for the screen to be replaced. They should be replacing like for like. I have two cars, my clio has a heat reflecting screen and my Focus has a heated front screen. Both have had to be replaced due to damage and both times they have been like for like replacements. The premium/glass excess they charge you should reflect the cost of repair. For my Focus I think the excess was £70.

I would think about complaining if your insurance won't pay for the screen to be replaced. They should be replacing like for like. I have two cars, my clio has a heat reflecting screen and my Focus has a heated front screen. Both have had to be replaced due to damage and both times they have been like for like replacements. The premium/glass excess they charge you should reflect the cost of repair. For my Focus I think the excess was £70.

it sounds more like the car didnt come with it as standard and its allready been replaced otherwise the insurance company should replace the window with the heated one so ide give them a call

The car did come with the heated windscreen from new.

The car did come with the heated windscreen from new.

from looking it states that the windscreen is at the discresion of the insurance company they dont have to fit like for like depending on the cost my mates mate works for autoglass and he said they rarely replace heated with heated and replace with standard in around 20 hes done he recalls the insurance paying once for a heated screen the rest were replaceed with standard there cost for a standard ford screen is around 120 quid heated is over 400 wonder why they dont replace heated with heated then

I hope Ford Insure cover it. I'd certainly expect them to as they know for certain that it is fitted to my car as they confirmed it as a Zetec Climate.

I wouldn't like to comment on policies from other companies, but if you pay the cheapest premium you likely get the cheapest cover.

Yes you can, here is diagram it took me months to come up with this, hope it helps you.

post-2425-126963949969_thumb.jpg

lol now thats what i call thorough investigative work. You know what i went and did? I bought some demisting cloths of fleabay for a couple of quid. Not tried them yet, but sure saves a pretty penny.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club