Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what is sync.

michaelburrows

i read a lot about sync on this forum    uprading etc.   please explain to me .  what is sync.

Sync is basically the entertainment system that all 'synchronises' together, it's more like a smartphone or PC than just a conventional radio headunit.

You won't actually have Sync on a 2012 Focus, you'll have the older version of the Sony audio system with separate bluetooth and voice control modules and there's nothing to update there.

On later cars, Sync can be updated like a Smartphone to remove bugs and improve the interface etc.

Sync is the Ford connectivity system. The Sync system interacts with the radio and controls all connectivity (phone, USB, Voicecontrol, etc.). 

On the Focus MK3 SYNC 1.0 was introduced in the 2nd half of 2012. The Sync 1.0 system replaced the old bluetooth / Voicecontrol system. Early 2014 the Sync 1.0 system was replaced by the further developed Sync 1.1 system. When the Focus MK3.5 was introduced Ford also introduced the Sync 2 system which has a 7 Inch touchscreen. The Sync 2 system is basically the European version of the My Ford Touch system that was used in the USA since 2011. In 2016 the Sync 2 system was replaced by the more advanced Sync 3 system. 

Sync 4 has been announced and is expected to be released within a few months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

thanks guys.   yes tom ure right. bluetooth for phone    works great  and the sony audio system is awesome.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

how do you know when buying a car it has Sync or not ? say 62 plate? or 12 plate?

Whether the car has the old bluetooth / Voicecontrol sytem or the SYNC 1.0 system can easily be identified by the radio remote on the steering wheel.

The old bluetooth / Voicecontrol system has a radio remote on the steering wheel that is located at the bottom right position of the steering wheel and is similarly shaped as the Cruise Control switch.

The SYNC 1.0 / 1.1 system has a radio remote on the steering wheel that is located at the top right position of the steering wheel (integrated into the airbag assembly).

Both the old bluetooth / Voicecontrol system and the SYNC 1.0 system are completely outdated and have no longer been supported by Ford for many Years. The support for the old Bluetooth / Voicecontrol system stopped in 2012 and the support for the SYNC 1.0 system stopped in 2014. The SYNC 1.0 system has the advantage that it can be upgraded to SYNC 1.1 by replacing the APIM (SYNC) module. The SYNC 1.1 system was supported until 2018 and has a lot less known compatibility issues than the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system or the SYNC 1.0 system.

• Like 1

If you dont have Sync in your MK3 Focus but do have the older BT/VC (bluetooth and Voice Control),  you can still upgrade to the Sync 3 with 8" touchscreen. I created a how to guide below:

James

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club