Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's P042FJim, but not as we know it!

Grunthos the Flatulent

Greeting one and all!

I've migrated here from the Focus forum as I've just bought myself a 2007 1.6tdci 109bhp C-Max after yet another of my Saabs decided to die on me.

I've searched on here and the web as a whole, but can't really find an answer. I paid peanuts for the car as it needed a bottom suspension arm, a new bonnet lock, a radio and......an EGR clamp. The previous owner told me that he had removed the EGR to clean it but as he didn't have the proper tool, he couldn't refit the clamp ring so just put a jubilee clip around it. I do so I replaced it this morning with a genuine Ford item.

The EML is on and is showing P042F (stuck EGR valve) but I'm not getting any drop in performance and no cutting out. The car mostly runs silky smooth but every now and then a strange vibration comes through the steering wheel, the engine sounds a little rougher but still pulls well. It will do this for about 5 minutes and then a small puff of smoke will come out of the bonnet, and back to smooth.

Now, if some kind person can tell me which bit I need to hit, how hard and what size hammer, I would be very grateful!!

It was cleaned before I got it!

Seems to have "fixed" itself as the EML has gone out of it's own accord.

Watch this space.

• 1 month later...

**Update**

Well, it hadn't fixed itself so I decided to get a second hand EGR valve. Before fitting I gave it a really good clean and noticed that when I took the stepper motor off, the default position was to open the valve and the motor acted against a spring to close it. I decided that since the previous owner had told me that he cleaned the EGR, I replaced just the stepper motor.

I reset the values through Forscan and the car now runs really well. No EML, no clouds of smoke, no codes coming up in Forscan, nothing! My theory is that the spring in the old EGR had broken and the valve couldn't open.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club