Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adaptive Steering Malfunction

DAVEWILL5

Just started the Edge up (2018 sport), and the Adaptive Steering Malfunction message came up on the dash

The steering wheel is also now not straight and level , as in when the car is going in a straight line the steering wheel is in a position that you would think the car is turning left.

I will obviously contact the garage first thing monday, but is the car safe to drive as it is???

The adaptive steering is a secondary steer motor in the steering wheel itself (there are a few You Tube videos on the subject). Once you get a fault, it de-activates the motor, in effect it just becomes a direct manual steering system, so it's safe to drive, but you need to get it looked at ASAP.

There was a recall on 2016/2017 models to replace the steering wheel with an improved design due to an unreliable position sensor!

Looks like they still fitted the old design or this is another/different fault! Be interesting to hear what Ford have to say about it ... keep us posted. 

So the conclusion from the Ford dealer was, "the steering wheel needs replacing"

It was ordered by them last Wednesday, and hopefully will be in and fitted sometime this week.

So from that i am no wiser (yet) as to whether my 2018 registered car was actually one that got a 2016/17 steering wheel ?? 

2 minutes ago, DAVEWILL5 said:

So the conclusion from the Ford dealer was, "the steering wheel needs replacing"

It was ordered by them last Wednesday, and hopefully will be in and fitted sometime this week.

So from that i am no wiser (yet) as to whether my 2018 registered car was actually one that got a 2016/17 steering wheel ?? 

Its all to do with the build date, my Cmax was registered in June 18 but it was built in August 17

So after 2 1/2 weeks of waiting, my local Ford Dealer still have no delivery time on the new steering wheel !!

Does anyone know the Ford Part number for the replacement Edge steering wheel, with the adaptive steering bit in it?

If so could you reply please, as i think my only option to get a quick fix, is to ring round other Ford dealers, in the hope that one of them has a wheel in stock

Thanks..

Ask your Dealer to that for you as they have a connected system they could use. They might already have done that though.

H

So the steering wheel has now been replaced and all is well

I still get the Sport or Normal steering option, for D or S mode

One minor change on the new steering wheel though is that the RES  CNCL  button and the LIM  on/off Cruise Control Button, have "swapped" places

Two pictures attached, left one shows old wheel and right new wheel

Anyone else had this with the left hand side buttons swapping places???

001.JPG

002.JPG

Sorry, should have said top pic old wheel, and bottom pic new wheel

On 12/28/2019 at 10:39 AM, DAVEWILL5 said:

Sorry, should have said top pic old wheel, and bottom pic new wheel

That looks like an LHD wheel to me.

That will be an interesting conversation with the service Receptionist........................

H

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could be a LHD wheel but could also be a wheel from the current face-lifted Edge. Or possibly even one from an S-Max or Mondeo? Just guessing though. I'd take photos in when speaking to Ford otherwise it would difficult to try and explain! 🙂 

Second pic looks like Roland Rat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 years later...

Hi I have a Ford Edge sport the same thing has happened to mine with 2017 I was wondering what the cost of it was they gave me an estimate for $4,700 does that sound right

54 minutes ago, april928 said:

me an estimate for $4,700 does that sound right

???

Untitled.png

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club