Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus ST Line 2019

arkman

I picked up a 1.0ltr eco boost Focus ST line in June,  I am unsure if I should bother the service department with my question hence putting it out there on here,  I am finding the sound of the engine from cold start pretty darn awful for a petrol engine it sounds like a diesel engine really rough, on a longer run as it warms up it starts to sound smoother but its still not as quiet as I was expecting and hopig for, it really does sound rough at time.  Is this normal

Everyone's definition of 'rough' is different, it would help if you could post a sound clip or video of the engine on a cold start up and a comparison when it has warmed up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks , will see what I can do the next day or so,  thanks

I've got the same engine in my ST Line X and pulling off from a standstill really does sound like a diesel, I've just put it down to being such a small engine capacity and having to work harder to get itself going

I've always thought the 1.0 ecoboost felt and sounded a bit "dieselly" when starting off, but I've found individual cars varied and different driving techniques also have an effect. I've yet to try the revised version in the Focus 4, but am told it is not as sweet as the earlier wet belt engine which is still used in the Fiesta at present.

A mate of mine was recently shopping for a new car, didn't get on with the ecoboost at all, and ended up buying a Golf 1.6 diesel which he reckoned was smoother and quieter!😀

Thanks for your responses much appreciated,  I think in hindsight I should of had more of a test drive than I gave myself,  fell in love with the new shape first and foremost so heart ruling head, having had the Fiesta titatanium 1.00ltr eco before this I was spoilt ,  hand on heart best car I have ever driven or owned and gutted to of parted with it. The engine was as sweet as a nut and fast as Usain Bolt , well nearly..  anyway I wont be buying the focus again and now wish I had bought the Kia Ceed.. 

• Like 1

I have an ST Line X 182 auto with 3200 miles and have noticed a rattle like a diesel engine. Having started the engine and got out to get something from the boot I notice the rattle come from the nearside rear rather than the engine, so could just be a vibration.

Car is going into the garage on 20th for a software update, so will ask them to have a look. I will report back.

• Like 1

I will look forward to your feedback ,  also forgot to mention that mine has already been back had a software update,  but went in because I noticed that one of the twin tailpipes was really black and the other clean inside,  the answer I got back was thats normal however I am not convinced and I wonder if its a mixture issue.. anyway I think I am going to take it in again and persist a bit more 

Buddy of mine had a 1.0/100 Fez and we found no end of noises coming from that. The more recent was the fuel pump having a good rattle immediately after service, it was almost like it was running dry.. He chopped it in for a 1.5 TDCI Focus TitX and found it a heck of a lot quieter.

It does seem to be a bit of a trait rather than a problem really. (That's based on my limited hands-on and a lack of seeing them actually having to be repaired based on noises, but I imagine we would have found out more on his with the amount of people who have looked over it before now!)

On 12/14/2019 at 8:31 PM, SDHXIII said:

I have an ST Line X 182 auto with 3200 miles and have noticed a rattle like a diesel engine. Having started the engine and got out to get something from the boot I notice the rattle come from the nearside rear rather than the engine, so could just be a vibration.

Car is going into the garage on 20th for a software update, so will ask them to have a look. I will report back.

I made that for you to compare. I don’t hear a rattle on mine. That’s not a overnight cold start tho. I use the remote engine start when it’s cold , haven’t noticed a rattle .. 

On 12/14/2019 at 6:28 PM, arkman said:

now wish I had bought the Kia Ceed.. 

Yes,  I've recently seen a couple of very positive reviews of the Ceed GT, one was on the Autogefuhl video channel which is on You Tube. Seemed to drive very well and though not "cheap" as such, very well equipped for the money. This is a 201ps 1.6 though. The entry level engine,  like many cars these days, is a 1.0 triple - don't know how that compares with the 1.0 ecoboost on noise?

It does annoy me why Ford chose not to put the 200bhp 1.5 into the Focus stlx

The Focus has been back to garage, had brake software recall done, had rattles checked and new sunroof parts on order. They forgot to listen or investigate the 'diesel' sound, but will look when they do the sunroof work.

Still absolutely love the car, especially sport mode on manual padle shift 😀

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes,  I've recently seen a couple of very positive reviews of the Ceed GT, one was on the Autogefuhl video channel which is on You Tube. Seemed to drive very well and though not "cheap" as such, very well equipped for the money. This is a 201ps 1.6 though. The entry level engine,  like many cars these days, is a 1.0 triple - don't know how that compares with the 1.0 ecoboost on noise?

I found the 1.0 triple in our Portugese hire Cee'd to be much louder than the EcoBoost in my Fiesta (though it was quite a fruity sound), although this was on a previous shape car.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

I found the 1.0 triple in our Portugese hire Cee'd to be much louder than the EcoBoost in my Fiesta 

These things do seem to vary between individual cars. My mate's Focus 125 (albeit a Mk 3) always seemed much noisier than my Fiesta 140 does, and he is a lot lighter on the accelerator  than I am.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Guys I have a mk ford focus st line ,looking for mud flaps ,can u help please ,want the right ones ,thanks

My we focus sounds the same .as u say longer u run it the roughness becomes quieter..same as my brothers also