Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 SYNC 3 upgrade for Bluetooth Voice Control (BVC) cars from 2011, 2012 and 2013

JPW

Just now, Daniele kuga II 2014 said:

ok i will take this yellow fakra to cra adapter. Since I have the cut 54 pin sync 2 cable that comes from the donor machine, is it possible to buy a yellow female rca cable to connect with the 2 wires directly into the 2 pins provided in the 54 pin plug? (I mean without buying all the adapter you linked me). 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B9T7X92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using this, not tested it yet.

• Thanks 1

That doesn't convert the OEM fakra connector though - so you need fakra to RCA then RCA to the two APIM pins.

I guess you could technically just cut the fakra off the camera connector and use the two wires direct to APIM - but not tested.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JPW said:

That doesn't convert the OEM fakra connector though - so you need fakra to RCA then RCA to the two APIM pins.

I guess you could technically just cut the fakra off the camera connector and use the two wires direct to APIM - but not tested.

i ordered the gpsm module for my kuga that you recommended to me. 4 wires come out of the plug. 2 gray / orange and purple / orange wires correspond to the 2 wires that must be connected to the 54 pin apim plug. I would like to know where the other 2 wires of the gpsm module should be connected? 

1 is POWER so this could join to FCDIM pin 1 or SYNC pin 1

2 is MS-CAN +    GREY-ORANGE

3 is MS-CAN -    VIOLET-ORANGE

6 is GROUND so this could join to FCDIM pin 9 SYNC pin 37.

4 and 5 not required.

image.thumb.png.bc11d2c3a81193aae2422201a5ec406a.png

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JPW said:

1 is POWER ORANGE-WHITE so this could join to SYNC harness pin 1 or another power wire.

2 is MS-CAN +    GREY-ORANGE

3 is MS-CAN -    VIOLET-ORANGE

6 is GROUND BLACK-WHITE so this could join to SYNC harness pin 37 or another ground wire.

4 and 5 not required.

image.thumb.png.bc11d2c3a81193aae2422201a5ec406a.png

physically the number 1 is blue and red in the plug and I didn't quite understand where to connect it ... can you be clearer? thank you 

It just means that wire 1 of the GPS needs to be wired/connected to the same wire as FCDIM pin 1 or SYNC pin 1 (for power)

Wire 6 for the GPS needs to be wired/connected to the same wire as FCDIM pin 9 or SYNC pin 37 (for ground)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JPW said:

It just means that wire 1 of the GPS needs to be wired/connected to the same wire as FCDIM pin 1 or SYNC pin 1 (for power)

Wire 6 for the GPS needs to be wired/connected to the same wire as FCDIM pin 9 or SYNC pin 37 (for ground)

Meanwhile, I want to thank you for your help and I also thank all the others in the forum !!! You are prepared in the matter! Ok I understand these links. However, in the forum that you advised me for the transition to sync 2 they are telling me that I do not need the gpsm module for the transition to sync 2 because the kuga already mounts it original ... is it possible?  I wanted to ask about the file to download for the forscan program ... The kuga machine that I have to find to download the configuration file must have more or less the same options, such as parking assist, parking sensors, rear view camera, automatic transmission and above all the sync 2, right (the options that mine has, then I can add the missing ones later)? But does it necessarily have to have the same displacement or the same horses? 

No, you definitely need the gos module if you are upgrading to sync 2. Sync 1 does not have a GPS module, nor does Sync 3. Just Sync 2 🙂

For the programming, ideally download the As-built file from a donor car VIN that  has the closest spec to your car, like reverse cam, dab, cruise control etc. Then you can change anything else you need.

• Thanks 1

35 minuti fa, JPW ha detto:

No, hai sicuramente bisogno del modulo gos se stai migliorando alla sincronia 2. Il Sync 1 non ha un modulo GPS, né il Sync 3. Solo Sync 2🙂

Per la programmazione, scaricare idealmente il file As-built da un'auto donatrice VIN che ha la velocità più vicina alla vostra auto, come telecamera inversa, dab, controllo della crociera ecc. Poi puoi cambiare qualsiasi altro di cui hai bisogno.

ok. The donor car has 180 horsepower, is € 6 and has the start and stop, while mine has 163 horsepower, is € 5 and does not have the start and stop. For the rest: displacement, gearbox, transmission, and many options are the same. So okay? then I wanted to ask but in addition to the gpsm module do I also need a gps antenna? or is that enough? 

Yes, that is fine, doesn't matter about engine size or start/stop 

The GPS module has the antenna built in to it. Nothing else required.

• Thanks 1

30 minuti fa, JPW ha detto:

Sì, va bene, non importa delle dimensioni del motore o dell'inizio/stop

Il modulo GPS ha l'antenna costruita su di esso.

Perfect. Is there any table or diagram with the codes corresponding to the various options for Kuga? For the final configuration 

13 hours ago, JPW said:

Yes, that is fine, doesn't matter about engine size or start/stop 

The GPS module has the antenna built in to it. Nothing else required.

for the rear camera do I have to connect pins 1 and 2 as shown in the diagram, or 2 and 4 as in the video tutorial? Screenshot_20210302-183855_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6a929faf1a61c9fe4e4f431712c980a4.jpg

Just now, Daniele kuga II 2014 said:

for the rear camera do I have to connect pins 1 and 2 as shown in the diagram, or 2 and 4 as in the video tutorial? Screenshot_20210302-183855_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6a929faf1a61c9fe4e4f431712c980a4.jpg

Screenshot_20210302-183831_YouTube.jpg

7 minutes ago, Daniele kuga II 2014 said:

Screenshot_20210302-183831_YouTube.jpg

the pin scheme is the same for both focus and kuga? 

Not sure, the video and the document are different!

Just get the fakra to RCA adaptor... no need to mess with the wires for the camera then!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JPW said:

Not sure, the video and the document are different!

Just get the fakra to RCA adaptor... no need to mess with the wires for the camera then!

ok but the fakra adapter you put me in the link has the attack different from the one I showed you in the picture ... do I have to take a different one? which? 

Please can you share a picture of your camera fakra connector to be sure?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JPW said:

Please can you share a picture of your camera fakra connector to be sure?

Screenshot_20210306-180016_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ca4269aa84f778634a06ab170fa9db97.jpg

Ah, this looks like a Rosenberger HSD connector not Fakra. Your current reverse camera must be newer as mine was a standard Fakra.

So what you need is a Rosenberger HSD male adaptor but they are not cheap (and can't find one in the UK)

https://www.ampire.de/Multimedia-Systems/CAS-SHOP/AMPIRE-Adapter-cable-VW-OEM-RVC-male-HSD-to-male-RCA-10cm.htm?shop=ampire_en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=CAB-HSDM-RCAF&p=3809

and then a small RCA male to RCA male to go between the 54-pin SYNC hardness adaptor and this.

The below wiring diagram shows only pin 1 and 2 required (not this is the view from the socket on your existing socket on the back of your Sync 1 display (FCDIM) so the female side will be the other way round.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JPW said:

Ah, sembra un...Rosenberger HSD o non Fakra. La tua macchina fotografica inversa attuale deve essere più recente, come la mia era una Fakra standard.

Quindi quello di cui hai bisogno è un adattatore maschile di Rosenberger HSD ma non sono economici (e non riescono a trovarne uno nel Regno Unito)

https://www. ampire. de/Multimedia-Systems/CAS-SHOP/AMPIRE-Adapter-cable-VW-OEM-RVC-male-HSD-to-male-RCA-10cm. shop=ampire re re in&SessionId=article&ProdNr=CAB-HSDM-RCAF=3809

e poi un piccolo RCA maschile a RCA maschile per andare tra l'adattatore di hardness a 54 pin SYNC e questo.

Il diagramma di cablaggio sottostante mostra solo pin 1 e 2 richiesto (non questa è la vista dalla presa sulla vostra esistentepresasul retro del display Sync 1 (FCDIM) in modo che il lato femminile sarà l'altra strada.

I think at this point I will connect the wires directly to the male pins without plug ... so if I understand correctly the pins to be occupied would be 1 and 3 on the camera cable in my case right? 

I have a 2014 Focus Ecoboost 100bhp model. I have all the parts now except the harness/wiring sorted. My options are to buy this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001505734509.html?aff_fcid=916197b73196404694ed7e5246ab6a2b-1615235531520-03124-hbH1Nkk&mp=1&cv=173210&aff_fsk=hbH1Nkk&af=442763&aff_platform=link-c-tool&sk=hbH1Nkk&aff_trace_key=916197b73196404694ed7e5246ab6a2b-1615235531520-03124-hbH1Nkk&dp=818d12fe6023ddcfe7c239cd8f4e0b2b&terminal_id=f4284b0ed7c74284892a6733fb391983&tmLog=new_Detail

Or to follow your guide exactly.

Fascia: I have an 8 pin fascia connector
ACM: 2 connectors for the ACM plus a black and white fakra
Sync 1 screen: FCDIM (12 pin latch) plus pink, blue and black fakra
Sync 1 module: 54 pin latch connector, some other connector (being stiff to take out today but it's black and square)

I'm under the impression I can follow your guide exactly as is, with the accompanying spreadsheet and be ok? Correct? I know I will have problems with the chinese harness as it has nothing for the 8 pin fascia connector.

I have no clue where anyone is getting any electrical info so need some help if anything i've said is wrong.

I am decent in terms of soldering and following instructions so if I can just get to listening and crimping then please let me know 🙂

Also would it be possible to mount the Facelift MK3 lock/unlock door handle? (Programming-wise is this possible?)
https://imgur.com/a/zs3O2Pm

Thank you for any advice. As said before, i've got all the parts sorted/coming besides anything wiring related 🙂

This guide is really for 2011/12/13 models with Bluetooth/Voice Control rather than Sync1, as my wiring diagram and images are related to the car not being equipped with Sync 1. But in principal the steps are the same, just that you don't need to do as much work with the wiring as you already have a 54-pin SYNC harness.

I wouldn't pay that much for a harness unless you really need to. They are typically wired to convert Ford US cars which are slightly different.

I would simply work with what you have, I don't feel there are a huge amount of wiring changes for SYNC 1 to SYNC 3.

The square black connector next to the 54 pin connector is the USB cable that goes to the USB port in the centre console/armrest/glovebox etc.

The door handle/lock is a different size and won't fit in your current pre-facelift door card. You can swap the full door card, but there is no spare wiring in the wires that feed to the door, so no way to hook the lock button up.

I recently updated my guide on the first page to show how you can add a lock button back. Alternatively you could order a new front fascia from USA which has a lock button next to the hazard button and wire that up.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JPW said:

This guide is really for 2011/12/13 models with Bluetooth/Voice Control rather than Sync1, as my wiring diagram and images are related to the car not being equipped with Sync 1. But in principal the steps are the same, just that you don't need to do as much work with the wiring as you already have a 54-pin SYNC harness.

I wouldn't pay that much for a harness unless you really need to. They are typically wired to convert Ford US cars which are slightly different.

I would simply work with what you have, I don't feel there are a huge amount of wiring changes for SYNC 1 to SYNC 3.

The square black connector next to the 54 pin connector is the USB cable that goes to the USB port in the centre console/armrest/glovebox etc.

The door handle/lock is a different size and won't fit in your current pre-facelift door card. You can swap the full door card, but there is no spare wiring in the wires that feed to the door, so no way to hook the lock button up.

I recently updated my guide on the first page to show how you can add a lock button back. Alternatively you could order a new front fascia from USA which has a lock button next to the hazard button and wire that up.

So I can just get the standard 54 pin harness you got, plug the old sync 1 latch connector into the harness side and then put the 54 pin APIM connector side into the new Sync 3 unit? Am I getting that right? Because that makes this thing so much easier!

Surely that means the only rewiring I would have to do would be between the 8 pin fascia connector, the FCDIM and the USB hub?

Where are you gathering all the info on wiring? My only resource thus far is the spreadsheet posted in the o.g thread

Sync 1 wiring is a little bit different to Sync 2/3 so what you'd need to do, is take your existing Sync1 54-pin connector and re-map some of the pins so that they are in the correct place, and connect some of them to the FCDIM for things like MS-CAN and HS-CAN.

No need to purchase another 54-pin harness

Then, a couple of mods on the fascia connector and a new USB hub/cable.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club