Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 SYNC 3 upgrade for Bluetooth Voice Control (BVC) cars from 2011, 2012 and 2013

JPW

2 hours ago, Eri789 said:

again none of those codes are no good ?????  Thank you

29 minutes ago, Eri789 said:

di nuovo nessuno di quei codici non va bene ????? Grazie

they are as in the picture

Screenshot_20210325-153844_eBay.jpg

I can't tell as the SYNC 2 and 3 screen, fascia and radio look identical on the front, but the APIM/screen is a lot different for SYNC 3. In order to confirm I need you to provide the part numbers.

16 hours ago, JPW said:

Non riesco a capire come lo schermo SYNC 2 e 3, la fascia e la radio sembrano identici sulla parte anteriore, ma l'APIM / schermo è molto diverso per SYNC 3. Per confermare ho bisogno che tu fornisca i numeri di parte.

the question is for the front of the radio with the hazzard button, for ACM and the bracket that holds APIM + display + ACM. for the rest of the other parts I have yet to find them somewhere else.  It's a budget problem

Screenshot_20210326-152721_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210326-152627_eBay.jpg

Yes, the fascia, bracket and radio are the same for SYNC 2 and 3. So they will be ok, you just need to source a SYNC 3 APIM/screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPW said:

Sì, la fascia, la staffa e la radio sono le stesse per SYNC 2 e 3. Quindi andranno bene, devi solo procurarti uno schermo / APIM SYNC 3.

Thank you

On 26/3/2021 at 19:30, JPW said:

Sì, la fascia, la staffa e la radio sono le stesse per SYNC 2 e 3. Quindi andranno bene, devi solo procurarti uno schermo / APIM SYNC 3.

good evening i'm waiting for different connectors and i have an idea to create a plug and play wiring and i will bother you a bit forward for the problems i encounter

1 hour ago, Eri789 said:

good evening i'm waiting for different connectors and i have an idea to create a plug and play wiring and i will bother you a bit forward for the problems i encounter

Just saying but James' guide is amazing and using his spreadsheet to create your harness should work flawlessly. Just know that the female jumper cables connector metal heads are not exactly identical to the stock 54-pin connector heads, they will work... but without the latch connector casing (I had to remove it and just plug it in directly).

@JPW Thank you so much btw, I haven't written my tips/feedback comment on this or the other post yet because still have to fix the OBD2 I f*ed up and waiting on my momentary switch this week (I only realised afterwards how useful it is lol). So far so good, massive massive thank you! Saved me hours of looking for diagrams and other peoples help 🙂

7 hours ago, kevgals said:

All done

20210330_191808.thumb.jpg.bf08f1b584dec5c3804770bb5f4b8a73.jpg

20210330_191839.thumb.jpg.9034c53ad94c9b02678f8f133defd9e1.jpg

20210330_192717.thumb.jpg.7b431a07da1e9c47d417baac397b6ae5.jpg

20210330_131549.thumb.jpg.339d70f05c6c5c3978898d01fe0e5d66.jpg

Camera from Amazon

Massive thanks to @JPW couldn't have done it without his help.

You can now use Cyanlabs Syn3Updater software to upgrade to Sync 3.4 (latest update). Will give you the same system as some 2020 cars I think. It also just looks nicer lol

Hi. I have the basic two line display with no phone button, Bluetooth and no voice/sync button. I want the simpliest upgrade (plug and play) i just need bluethooth please advice. 

This system can be upgraded to SYNC with a few more wiring changes to my guide, however for a plug and play solution you will still need to wire things in because the factory harness is different, even if you just swapped out the screen and fascia etc. There is no bluetooth module in the 2 line basic model so none of that exists either...

Thanks. so it is possible. What parts i need/compatible

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my sync 3 upgrade project, after replacing my RCM (Ford was needed for this) too to support ecalls. No DTCs anymore.

Now moving to reverse camera installation? Anyone has any good one to recommend with trajectory or not? My sync 3 harness and rca input so could use any with RCA output. I will go for one with oem looking interface ( do not want to make a hole).

3 hours ago, Arismfg said:

I will go for one with oem looking interface ( do not want to make a hole).

I would suggest a camera that is integrated into the tailgate handle, widely available.  Easy to fit but a pain getting the cable to the front of the car.

2 hours ago, kevgals said:

I would suggest a camera that is integrated into the tailgate handle, widely available.  Easy to fit but a pain getting the cable to the front of the car.

Yes, of course. Any good tested one for focus MK3 to suggest? Any link?

1 hour ago, Arismfg said:

Yes, of course. Any good tested one for focus MK3 to suggest? Any link?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08TTHBDZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

unknown.png

Pretty easy to install

unknown.png

It came with all the wiring needed, I am using an estate and the wiring that came with it was long enough.

I tapped it on the rear wiper, so it comes on when the ignition is on.

Hi all- excellent write up. Can I just ask is the wiring diagram the same for the sync 2? I know I need to add the gpsm. I do have bvc in my car.

Many thanks-Rob

The wiring is similar for Sync 2 but of course you need the GPS module so you need to tap in to the CAN bus wires for that. Honestly, if you're going through the effort to upgrade from BVC I wouldn't bother with SYNC2, go for 3. 2 is no longer updated and maps will become outdated etc.

I know it costs more but it's worth it in every way longer term.

Hi jpw.

Thanks for the reply. Re sync3 not a chance of me getting it this year, S.W.M.B.O says NO😟. Aslong as i can follow the diagram to the letter 2 will do for now.

Happy wife happy life😂

9 hours ago, Rowan112 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08TTHBDZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

unknown.png

Pretty easy to install

unknown.png

It came with all the wiring needed, I am using an estate and the wiring that came with it was long enough.

I tapped it on the rear wiper, so it comes on when the ignition is on.

How is the resolution? I found one with higher resolution 1280 x 720 but someone who tested said it faces too low (he can see the number plate). I can see yours faces at perfect height. There are also some with dynamic trajectory but bit lower resolution

I have been told that the best place to take the 12V from (focus MK3 hatchback) for a reverse camera  is from the fuse 29A (rear fuse box using a fuse jumper). This fuse is meant for parking assist sensor. 

2 hours ago, Arismfg said:

How is the resolution? I found one with higher resolution 1280 x 720 but someone who tested said it faces too low (he can see the number plate). I can see yours faces at perfect height. There are also some with dynamic trajectory but bit lower resolution

I have been told that the best place to take the 12V from (focus MK3 hatchback) for a reverse camera  is from the fuse 29A (rear fuse box using a fuse jumper). This fuse is meant for parking assist sensor. 

so i'm using an after market android stereo, which is 720p. The camera quality is good. to be honest you don't need the highest resolution and is it worth the extra work and money for the dynamic trajectory? to me i think of it as a gimmick.

I just tap onto the rear wiper wiring as it's close and easy to work with.

5 hours ago, Rowan112 said:

so i'm using an after market android stereo, which is 720p. The camera quality is good. to be honest you don't need the highest resolution and is it worth the extra work and money for the dynamic trajectory? to me i think of it as a gimmick.

I just tap onto the rear wiper wiring as it's close and easy to work with.

In fact, cameras with trajectory can be cheaper from other cameras with just parking lines. And no extra work as this feature is embedded on camera. This must be because of lower resolution (and/or quality?). So, trying to find the best res+specs/value ratio really.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Im in the middle of instaling a sync2 into my 2011 focus.

Does any of you happen to know where I can get a wiring diagram for the usb/sd//line in module ?(FR3T-14F014-AB) I am not too fussed about "the line in" thanks in advance

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club