Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Starter Motor

n_hudson

Ladies, Gents and everyone else... 

I believe the starter motor has failed on my car... it just clicks away when I press the button (Its keyless / Stop Start). 

I've changed the battery, tried jumping from another car and the battery holds charge and the alternator is operating correctly... Narrowing it down... starter motor. 

So, I was hoping there might be an instructional "How To" on the forum, but I can't seem to locate it if there is.  I've changed starters before, but not on this car - 2013 1.6 TDCI Stop/Start.

Any guidance, help and tips or redirecting to helpful posts, would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance! 

Not a fun job this time of year, it's on the back of the engine on the DV6.  Not really any need for a guide though, starters are still the same as before, a few bolts and electrical connections.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Not a fun job this time of year, it's on the back of the engine on the DV6.  Not really any need for a guide though, starters are still the same as before, a few bolts and electrical connections.

Thanks Tom. I was reading the Haynes, and it says to remove the battery AND the battery box etc. seems a little overkill?

2 hours ago, n_hudson said:

Thanks Tom. I was reading the Haynes, and it says to remove the battery AND the battery box etc. seems a little overkill?

I think you can do it all from underneath, hence not being fun in winter, but Haynes probably wants you to do it from above?  

Sooooooo.... It's a bit of a pain in the butt.

On the 1.6 TDCI, You HAVE to take out the battery and tray to get to the upper most of the 3x bolts holding the Starter Motor to the car - 1x 10mm and 2x 13mm if I remember rightly.

To remove the battery tray, you first need to remove the airbox etc... but that's easy as... 

You MUST (I assume - I found out the hard way) undo the lower bolt and the smaller upper bolt you can access from underneath, but DONT remove them all the way. This is to make it easy to remove the hidden bolt accessible after the battery tray has been removed. Its a pain as the gear linkages and brackets are in the way, so access is poor and I had to use multiple extensions and twist connections. 

To refit, as before, fit the Starter motor from underneath and do the upper and lower bolts you can access just to the point they can hold the weight. If you don't, the upper bolt extends too far out and makes it VERY difficult to get to bite and secure... so by giving it a bit of outward play, makes life easier. 

Then tighten the remaining 2 bolts and attach the plastic part that holds all wires together... easy. Job-done.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club