Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight washer.

TitXlover

Noticed recently of my headlight washers is not fully retracting back to the bumper, once it has done it's clean. 3.5 Focus Titanium x.

Any ideas If this is a common fault or easy to put right?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I wonder if it is something simple like it needing to be ‘retrained’ as to where the resting position should be? I know that you can retrain the elec windows and sometimes the wipers get out of sync. 

Does it come out easily when the stalk is pulled or does it judder and struggle?

can you physically push it back in when it is in the wrong position, and if you can is there any resistance?

easiest thing to do first is to remove the fuse that powers the washers and then push the washer into the correct position manually, then replace the fuse and see if that reminds it where it should be. Have the fuse out before you manually adjust the washer so that the car doesn’t need ‘know’ you have done it.

^ This.

It's not uncommon for passers-by to pull these out/off. I see many a ST that's had their tear ducts pulled out and it's a massive shame.. It could also have been caught; e.g. bush, etc. when parking or a strong very focused gust of wind or something.

I wonder if it is something simple like it needing to be ‘retrained’ as to where the resting position should be? I know that you can retrain the elec windows and sometimes the wipers get out of sync. 
Does it come out easily when the stalk is pulled or does it judder and struggle?
can you physically push it back in when it is in the wrong position, and if you can is there any resistance?
easiest thing to do first is to remove the fuse that powers the washers and then push the washer into the correct position manually, then replace the fuse and see if that reminds it where it should be. Have the fuse out before you manually adjust the washer so that the car doesn’t need ‘know’ you have done it.
Not sure, i have been driving the car when it happened. I have just noticed it stays slightly out of its socket when I parked.

I just pushed it back into position.

Will have to try it when parked at home, when the weather improves, so I can see what is happening.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Give the mechanism a good clean and some lubrication, that should help. Normally it's just a dirty rod. Fnar. 

Also, check the screen wash is up to spec. It's very easy for the headlight washers to freeze, which will cause problems.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, erictcleric said:

Give the mechanism a good clean and some lubrication, that should help. Normally it's just a dirty rod. Fnar. 

Also, check the screen wash is up to spec. It's very easy for the headlight washers to freeze, which will cause problems.

Just as he said. I had the same issue. Removed, cleaned with hot soapy water and refitted, but added a LITTLE bit of grease to the piston. Mine started to play up when it was starting to freeze last year and I wasn't using 100% screen wash for the conditions. If they don't work, I bought a new one from Poland on eBay - around £16 I think. They were listed for a Mondeo, but with a bit of force you can pull the washers off of the large plastic that mounts to the back of the bumper and refit with the new ones. 

This is the eBay link for a Mk3 Focus...I guess they're same as the 3.5?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK4-MKIV-4-HEADLIGHT-WASHER-NOZZLE-JET-SPRAYER-RIGHT-7S71-13L014-BA/251601932519?hash=item3a94a4d0e7:g:0SMAAOSwb9Baok6E

As per this thread... 

• Like 1