Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering issue

Andycclarke

Hi I have a 2010 mk7 fiesta and the steering is not recentering I have changed a lot of parts including the rack and is exactly the same could this be a failing steering coloumn I don't want to replace it if it's not goi g to be the issue so can a bad coloumn cause it to not recentre what causes it to pull to the right thanks

Have you checked the geometry? Not just toe but camber & caster and set-back as these can be detrimental.

Hi yes i have taken it Many places for wheel Alighnment and all say it's as it should be and no one has told me any different as I have taken it to about 5 different places each place I have been a few times 

Ford told me the rack wasn't recentering so I changed that and it's the same 

I am no expert. If steering doesn’t self centre I thought it is usually due to too much toe out on the tracking. Has it always done this or did it start doing it after something specific like a part changed or a prang.

When I got the car It had just had a new spring so I thought the tracking was out so I had the track rod ends replace also drop links wishbones bearings and tyres then the issue I have now stands out more than it did and ford said it was the rack not recentering so I did that and the issue is still there after lots of tracking at different places so it's not leaving much other than the column to me and I'm not an expert but the garage I take it to has told me he doesn't know 

Perhaps it's the bearing on top of the strut where the spring was replaced being too tight...? 🤔

13 hours ago, Andycclarke said:

When I got the car It had just had a new spring so I thought the tracking was out so I had the track rod ends replace also drop links wishbones bearings and tyres then the issue I have now stands out more than it did and ford said it was the rack not recentering so I did that and the issue is still there after lots of tracking at different places so it's not leaving much other than the column to me and I'm not an expert but the garage I take it to has told me he doesn't know 

Is that one new spring?   If so that's where I'd start looking.

I have my doubts that it is the column but I admit I do not fully understand exactly how the electric power streering works on these. If I remember correctly the column has electric power steering built into it.

I have always changed springs in pairs there ase a few things to consider , steering gear that is too tight or improperly adjusted. ... Sticking or binding components, such as a king pin, ball joint, bell crank or even the steering column can prevent the steering wheel from returning to center after a turn,so check top mount is not to tight...Let us know how you get on oh and tyre pressures are even.

on some occasions I have seen a failing steering joint shaft can cause the not-centering issue. ( that's the joint shaft not the whole steering column )

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club