Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Non reponsive whilst trying to pull away

Roy1203

I have a late 2011 Focus Titanium 125 with a 1.6 petrol engine. When I try to pull away under normal load the engine becomes non responsive, like a massive flat spot, and then eventually picks up. This happens mainly when the engine is cold but occasionally does it when it is warm. Can be a danger especially if you are pulling out on a busy road and need that acceleration!

Has anyone had any experience with this fault. I have recently had it in a garage and there are no fault codes and no obvious issues such as air leaks, cracked manifold. Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Roy

Have you got Hill Start Assist  switched on and, if so, does the problem go away of you switch it off?

• Like 2

I recall years ago my brother's Audi TT was doing that and it turned out to be the MAF sensor at fault. Some cars (I don't know specifically your model) will run with a default maf setting if the maf is unplugged. if you disconnected the maf and find it runs better then that would indicate it is a maf problem. I do not know if that would turn the engine management light on and if it would go back off once reconnected.

but try the hillstart assist thing mentioned above first. 

9 hours ago, pcaouolte said:

Have you got Hill Start Assist  switched on and, if so, does the problem go away of you switch it off?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the hill start is not selected.

Hi. My focus was like this when I got it. I hated pulling away from lights, it would like bog down, 1.. 2.. 3.. a ha! Then I would get power and could pull away.

I blanked my EGR valve and wooooosh, no more hesitant pulling away, totally fixed it 🙂

Check them out on eBay, they only cost about 7 quid. I never used one with the hole in, EGR is a pain in the ***** anyway.

But if ya car is nice n shiny and ya don't wanna do this I understand, am just saying that was a total fix for mine bogging down when pulling away.

You could try it for 7 quid, slip the plate in and see (mine was fixed immediately) and if it doesn't fix it ya not lost much.

Hope this helps 🙂

Many thanks for your reply. I will definitely give this one a try.

Best regards

Roy

On 12/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, isetta said:

I recall years ago my brother's Audi TT was doing that and it turned out to be the MAF sensor at fault. Some cars (I don't know specifically your model) will run with a default maf setting if the maf is unplugged. if you disconnected the maf and find it runs better then that would indicate it is a maf problem. I do not know if that would turn the engine management light on and if it would go back off once reconnected.

but try the hillstart assist thing mentioned above first. 

Thanks for your reply, willing to try anything at the moment. Will let you know.

• 1 month later...

Well the hill start thought gave me an idea. I have  turned off my traction control and have not had a problem since. Hope this helps other people.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club