Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noisy Groaning/creaking Steering

Matt Sharpe

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here might be able to help put my mind to rest. My P-reg Fiesta's steering has become intermittently quite noisy and it's worrying me. I've taken it to Ford who said they couldn't reproduce the problem, but it is still happening and I've had friends confirm that it sounds dodgy.

I don't have power steering.

The steering makes a "groaning" sound, accompanied by a sort of creaking that you can feel through the steering wheel. It is noticable at most speeds although the faster you go the more other vibrations there are to mask it.

If I could get some suggestions as to what would cause this, then at least I might be able to stop worrying that my steering's going to suddenly stop working while I'm driving along!

Many thanks,

Matt

Sounds like the racks is completely dried out and under stress???

A change of rack should cure it. Manual MK3 Fiesta Racks should be quite cheap. I think about 30 Quid for a refurbished one?

Sounds like the racks is completely dried out and under stress???

A change of rack should cure it. Manual MK3 Fiesta Racks should be quite cheap. I think about 30 Quid for a refurbished one?

Thanks for the reply mate.

The car is booked in to another garage next Tuesday. Hopefully will get sorted eventually. Can't bear to drive the thing at the moment lol!

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here might be able to help put my mind to rest. My P-reg Fiesta's steering has become intermittently quite noisy and it's worrying me. I've taken it to Ford who said they couldn't reproduce the problem, but it is still happening and I've had friends confirm that it sounds dodgy.

I don't have power steering.

The steering makes a "groaning" sound, accompanied by a sort of creaking that you can feel through the steering wheel. It is noticable at most speeds although the faster you go the more other vibrations there are to mask it.

If I could get some suggestions as to what would cause this, then at least I might be able to stop worrying that my steering's going to suddenly stop working while I'm driving along!

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi dont know if this is any use to you but my Mondeo is sufferin a groaning creeking and weird rattle on the steering. I have found the cause to be a broken spring. Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out, this hadn't solved the problem.

On the other hand, a second opinion from another garage has suggested that my replacement rack is faulty.

The problem continues...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club