Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 crash - is this repairable

Owenc

I was out driving the other night, slid on a stretch of black ice and hit my car on a hedge. The right on side is completely untouched, the bonnet looks to be untouched and the interior is untouched. The left hand side lights are all blown out and the fender is gone. The car shut off before I impacted and the engine will not turn on.

Oddly, the side with the impact, the mirror has turned in? Is this a crash protection measure? 

It is  currently in a Brokers yard waiting to be taken to a garage, do you think this is repairable? I'm quite worried that the car will be written off.

wTLaBFg.jpg

XTFm2mY.jpg

roPbQBA.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/sEHyghu

• Sad 1

Ouch mate 

To be honest I'm secretly proud of retaining my 2010 factory front bumper which is why I went for ZetecS body instead of ST replica because it retains the front bumper I've thankfully never ditched when enjoying my ford,

Yet as I'm sure you are now fully aware mate the current climate is definitely not the time to be throwing out the rear end or shortening the life of the front tyres,

If you ca  fix it using Savings or a Christmas bonus highly recommended, 

Insurance will cover it but they will remind you of it for years to come. 

I wasn't driving fast, the road was extremely icy. I was surprised at the damage given the speed that I hit the hedge.

Just now, Owenc said:

I wasn't driving fast, the road was extremely icy. I was surprised at the damage given the speed that I hit the hedge.

Any chance the council were at fault for not gritting an accident black spot ?

Would help on your insurance 

• Like 1

No it was in the countryside. Though the local farmer said that this IS a bad spot with three smashes in one day a few years ago, and a smash a few days before my crash.

For the insurance company it's fairly simple.  Repair cost versus vehicle worth.

If you really like the car and want to keep you can take the settlement, buy the car and repair it yourself.  Won't be worth as much in the long run.

Was there a wall behind the hedge!? 😮  It looks like the front chassis leg is bent to me, will almost certainly be a Cat S write off through insurance.  It should still be worth enough for them to repair it but you will have increased premiums for next 5 years and a car that's worth much less than before and will be impossible to ever sell.  If they offer a payout instead, I'd take that personally.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry to see that, but glad you're ok! In my youth, when commuting by motorbike, I came off on black ice in the same place 5 days in a row, despite being extremely careful after the first time!

I agree with the other guys - insurers will do their sums and decide - issue nowadays is often how much "technology" has taken a hit, as well as the actual physical damage. I guess the fuel shut off will have activated, which is probably why the engine won't start.

You'll take a hit from the insurers whatever happens, so from a peace of mind/ future value angle, a write-off may well be the preferable outcome, especially as it's such a new car and more so if you have a "new for old " provision in your policy.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Was there a wall behind the hedge!? 😮  It looks like the front chassis leg is bent to me, will almost certainly be a Cat S write off through insurance.  It should still be worth enough for them to repair it but you will have increased premiums for next 5 years and a car that's worth much less than before and will be impossible to ever sell.  If they offer a payout instead, I'd take that personally.

There was concrete poles. I was hoping not to have it written off.

I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

There looks to be quite a big hit there, bit modern cars are meant to crumble and absorb impact.

Personally I wouldn't want it back for several reasons. I don't think I would trust it again and resale value will go down.

If you have gap insurance then I would be hoping for a write off.

Whatever happens it can be replaced\fixed, better that than an empty seat at the Christmas dinner table [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well if it can be fixed properly I will be taking it back.

It has not been assessed so we do not know what the damage is like.

Also, anyone know why the FordPass app can’t detect its location? The location detector was working up until last night, two days after the crash. 

Does it not work if the car has been stationary, or has it been turned off?

The battery has probably died tbh, I expect you've got a few shorts in that damaged loom which would explain why the mirror folded as well.

Before my focus I had a SEAT Exeo (rebadged Audi A4) that took big side-on impact just after its first birthday. Although it was repaired by the insurance company with no quibbles, it was never the same and I'd actually wished that they had written it off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark Andy said:

Although it was repaired by the insurance company with no quibbles, it was never the same and I'd actually wished that they had written it off.

Some years back we had a similar experience with a car that was stolen, pranged, then dumped and stripped of wheels, stereo and a lot of trim parts. Amazed that the insurers opted for a repair rather than write off. Although repairs were done to a very high standard, the car just never felt the same.

• Like 1

@Eric Bloodaxe@Dark Andy that was my point too, they just never feel quite the same again do they

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The battery has probably died tbh, I expect you've got a few shorts in that damaged loom which would explain why the mirror folded as well.

It's reporting the tyre pressure though? Can the location be turned off in the car? Yes, you may be right about the mirror, that was my first thought.

Just paid the excess on my insurance anyway so whatever happens, happens. It's out of my hands now.

7 hours ago, Owenc said:

It's reporting the tyre pressure though? Can the location be turned off in the car? Yes, you may be right about the mirror, that was my first thought.

Just paid the excess on my insurance anyway so whatever happens, happens. It's out of my hands now.

That's odd then.  I don't know if the location can be turned off individually, I wouldn't think so but hopefully someone else with a Mk4 will know.  I do know some modules have their own battery to save draining the cars battery overnight, so it's possible that some still work while others don't.

7 hours ago, Owenc said:

Have you tried to refresh the App to see what happens.

I have found that the Tyre Pressure showing was when the car was last switched off and does not change to the cooled down pressure unless you refresh the App.

Maybe the Tyre Pressure and a few other things are stored Data but the location is live.

Edited by Tizer
Additional info

It's a new car, exactly the same as all the others that run off the line every 40 seconds or so.

If they write it off they will give you a new one, let them write it off, they're never the same after they've had a bump

It's a new car, exactly the same as all the others that run off the line every 40 seconds or so.
If they write it off they will give you a new one, let them write it off, they're never the same after they've had a bump
They won't just give you a new one unless you have GAP insurances, if not then he will be lucky to get enough money to clear any finance or purchase a car exactly the same

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

They won't just give you a new one unless you have GAP insurances, if not then he will be lucky to get enough money to clear any finance or purchase a car exactly the same

If they're less than 12 months old you normally get a new one

If they're less than 12 months old you normally get a new one
That's a new one on me pal

Just now, Jonro2009 said:

There you go then:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

Yes, most insurers now offer "new for old" replacement if the car is less than 12 months old, normally with the proviso that you've owned it from new. Some insurers offer this up to 24 months old.