Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing flexi section on Ecoboost exhaust

MJNewton

My wife's 2013 Fiesta was MOT'd today and I see from the online results that whilst it passed there is a 'exhaust front flexi in poor condition leaking slightly' advisory. I'll have a chat with the mechanic when I pick it up later but thought I'd do some digging around in the meantime.

Assuming the worst and that it'll eventually need sorting I am wondering if it is possible to weld/clamp in a new flexi section given that space seems a little tight what with that clamp (which does seem to be movable though)? Could it be done in situ?

2017-Genuine-Ford-Fiesta-10-EcoBoost-Catalytic-Converter.jpg

graphic.jpg

I'd rather not have to succumb to a new cat just for the sake of a failed flexi pipe.

I know some of my customers have welded in new flexi joints on these before. Can't imagine it being too much of an issue to remove the bracket pop it back into place 

• Thanks 1

you can get ones on eBay where you put on exhaust clamp on each end. I don't know specifically if they do the right diameter for yours. In my experience they usually last a bit longer than yours has.

Yes, I must admit to being surprised it is already starting to fail (6 years and 5k miles). Speaking to the mechanic he said he wouldn't be surprised if he just gives another advisory at the next MOT as it is not showing signs of complete impending failure.

Regarding the clamp-on flexi's I did look at those but it seems they're a fair bit longer than the weld-on ones given the need for a decent amount of overlap. With that nearby bracket I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing. Certainly if a clamp-on flexi will fit then I'd be tempted to go with one as I could obviously do that myself.  Perhaps the exhaust clamp could be used instead of one of the flexi clamps if all things line up, which of course they won't!

• 3 years later...

I know this was some time ago but I have the same issue on a 2017 mk7 fiesta.  The flexi repair kits offered dont seem to account for this bracket.  Did you find a solution or did you have to buy the whole section including CAT?

Just done a 2015 Mk7 Fiesta ECOBOOST.

The flexi is available as a replacement unit  (eg EveryExhaustPart).

There are two "grades" available (2 or 3  layers of linings) from about £16 to £25. .Use a caliper to get the outside diameter of the pipe on your car (51mm on mine) and allow for the inside diameter of the new part to be just more.(0.8mm seems common)

Cutting the pipes is NOT a hand hacksaw job and an angle grinder cannot get in fully. (started to nick the sump!) A strong reciprocating saw and blade is needed.

The supporting bracket to the sump is a problem; It will not fit  if the clamp on version is used, because the new clamps  are in the way. A weld on version is far better and a decent engineer will do this on the car. However, the outside diameter of the replacement flexi stub  is larger than the bracket circumference will accomodate! The existing bracket needs to be sliced open and rewelded to accomodate it.

So 3 welds and two cuts. Check around for prices! (Back street £40 up!) so budget on £65 up all done. Unless you have welding and cutting kit, it's a no-brainer.

The full unit costs  upwards of £450 at the exhaust racketeers .

There is also available a flexi , bend and flange at £65 or £130 up (fitted)--but again check prices! Same fitting problems plus the rusted flange to rest of exhaust.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club