Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2011 1.25 zetec front discs keep warping

Owen Connelly

I hit a Curb in the snow in February 2019, even since then my front brake discs keep warping, I’ve had 6 sets of discs and pads on there. Near side front hub has been replaced as that was bent from hitting the curb, had several garages look and all say they can’t find a problem. I’ve asked my local ford dealer they’ve never heard of a problem like this 

If the wheel bearing is new also, the caliper is the same?

Put new slider pins

I had a similar problem years ago when a back street mechanic used discs from China made of sintered metal.

3 hours ago, fgservo said:

If the wheel bearing is new also, the caliper is the same?

Put new slider pins

Yeah had both new parts and slider pins 

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

I had a similar problem years ago when a back street mechanic used discs from China made of sintered metal.

I’ve even tired sport brakes(high performance) still warped after 400 miles 

7 minutes ago, Owen Connelly said:

Yeah had both new parts and slider pins 

Was the whole knuckle replaced or just the bearing hub?  Also were both the carrier & caliper replaced? 

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Was the whole knuckle replaced or just the bearing hub?  Also were both the carrier & caliper replaced? 

Yeah was the whole thing and yeah had all that replaced 

Are you bedding in the brakes? Do you brake all the way down a steep hill? Do you sit at junctions with your foot on the brake? Who fitted the parts, are the mating surfaces clean? I suspect they will be if all new, but has excessive copper grease been used? Was the suspension arm damaged considering the hub/knuckle was? a damaged/faulty ball joint will cause juddering when braking.

And as above, poor quality parts used?

5 hours ago, Frembrit said:

Are you bedding in the brakes? Do you brake all the way down a steep hill? Do you sit at junctions with your foot on the brake? Who fitted the parts, are the mating surfaces clean? I suspect they will be if all new, but has excessive copper grease been used? Was the suspension arm damaged considering the hub/knuckle was? a damaged/faulty ball joint will cause juddering when braking.

And as above, poor quality parts used?

As above, when you took it to the garage the 2nd time alarm bells should have started ringing with them! Discs don't warp for no reason and all the above really needs to be checked thoroughly. 

I'm very surprised they've managed to get a warranty claim on 6 sets of discs and pads on the same vehicle! 

57 minutes ago, Nick_T said:

As above, when you took it to the garage the 2nd time alarm bells should have started ringing with them! Discs don't warp for no reason and all the above really needs to be checked thoroughly. 

I'm very surprised they've managed to get a warranty claim on 6 sets of discs and pads on the same vehicle! 

They didn’t get a warranty claim 6 times so you guess how much it’s cost me! I’ve been asked them Questions by the garage and the answer is no to all them. I’ve had the suspension arm replaced and had tie rod and track rod replaced 

Unfortunately I can guess. Can they tell you which side has warped, at least then you can rule out one side of the car. Any excessive heat that can be felt from the wheel after driving? Does the car freewheel okay?   

3 hours ago, Nick_T said:

Unfortunately I can guess. Can they tell you which side has warped, at least then you can rule out one side of the car. Any excessive heat that can be felt from the wheel after driving? Does the car freewheel okay?   

Both sides warp this is the problem I hit the front left into the curb. 

If both sides are warping it is 100% just the discs at fault.  Are the garage confirming they're actually warped with a dial guage?

Either they're not being bed in properly, or they're just cheap rubbish to start with.  Have the brands been noted on the invoices?

41 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If both sides are warping it is 100% just the discs at fault.  Are the garage confirming they're actually warped with a dial guage?

Either they're not being bed in properly, or they're just cheap rubbish to start with.  Have the brands been noted on the invoices?

Had Brembo and aftermarket drilled and grooves one still happens and yes the garage confirmed with a dial gauge and the tracking keeps going out 

2 hours ago, Owen Connelly said:

Had brembo and aftermarket drilled and grooves one still happens and yes the garage confirmed with a dial gauge and the tracking keeps going out 

Ah, the Brembo discs are utter *****!  And unbranded aftermarkets will also be *****, especially when they've already been weakened with holes and grooves lol.

Get something decent on there instead.

Tracking is unrelated, either so eyhibgs bent or you've got a dodgy bush or call joint doing that.

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, the Brembo discs are utter *****!  And unbranded aftermarkets will also be *****, especially when they've already been weakened with holes and grooves lol.

Get something decent on there instead.

Tracking is unrelated, either so eyhibgs bent or you've got a dodgy bush or call joint doing that.

What discs do you recommend then? And what is eyhibgs? 😂 

2 minutes ago, Owen Connelly said:

What discs do you recommend then? And what is eyhibgs? 😂 

The eyhibgs fit onto the call joints obviously...  Autocorrect ftw! :laugh:  It was meant to be 'somethings' and 'ball joints'. :smile: 

I haven't had any problems with Pagid discs myself so stick with them now.  Avoid eicher as they seem to warp before even being fitted! :lol: 

I’ll ask the garage to use them then and see what happens

Had new pagid discs and pads put on today will see what happens with these ones, hopefully there good 🙏🏻

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, Owen Connelly said:

Had new pagid discs and pads put on today will see what happens with these ones, hopefully there good 🙏🏻

Just an update 1045 miles later the warping is back

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Owen Connelly said:

Just an update 1045 miles later the warping is back

Both discs warped & confirmed with dial gauge?  :unsure: 

Not sure what more to suggest now!

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Both discs warped & confirmed with dial gauge?  :unsure: 

Not sure what more to suggest now!

Yes both confirmed with dial gauge!!!and I don’t think anyone does now 😂 

3 minutes ago, Owen Connelly said:

Yes both confirmed with dial gauge!!!and I don’t think anyone does now 😂 

Lol, there must be something really simple we're all missing!  If you ever do find the fault, make sure to update us! :laugh: 

How hard did you curb it? The next investigation I would recommend is having the front end geometry of the car checked, it could be that the front chassis is bent out of geometry to a certain degree. Does the car run straight at low speed, level flat road, no hands on steering wheel or does it wander to one side? If that's what's causing your ongoing problem there is in my mind only one way you'd cure it, trade it in!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club