Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Titanium X estate, wrong rear windscreen?

Dark Andy

I've just noticed that my Mk4 Titanium X rear winscreen is different to others of the same spec. I have the rear privacy glass on the rear side windows (comes with Titanium X as standard) but the actual rear windscreen is not tinted. When I got the car, I just thought that this was how they came but having seen another car of the same spec in a car park, it now seems as though it's had the wrong rear windscreen fitted. I've checked the glass, it appears to be the original so I can only assume that either early models came like this or it's a factory error. To be honest, I'm not that bothered by it but am curious all the same. Any ideas?

If you've got rear privacy glass it should include the rear windscreen.

Either it's a misbuild, or at some point since it was new the screen has had to be replaced and it's with the wrong one.

How long have you had it? Did you buy it from a dealer/business?

• Like 2

It was bought 7 months old from a Trust Ford as a Ford Direct car. I've had a good look and I can't see any sign of being replaced in the past - the fitting is exactly centre, with no gaps, no paint or trim chips / scratches, the glass is Ford branded, etc so either they did a very good job of replacing it (better than any of the replacements I've ever had in the past) or it's a mis-build - personally I'm inclined to think it left the factory like this. Since I've had the car for 5 months now it's probably too late to do anything about it anyway.

5 minutes ago, Dark Andy said:

It was bought 7 months old from a Trust Ford as a Ford Direct car. I've had a good look and I can't see any sign of being replaced in the past - the fitting is exactly centre, with no gaps, no paint or trim chips / scratches, the glass is Ford branded, etc so either they did a very good job of replacing it (better than any of the replacements I've ever had in the past) or it's a mis-build - personally I'm inclined to think it left the factory like this. Since I've had the car for 5 months now it's probably too late to do anything about it anyway.

Maybe they swapped the whole tailgate if that was dented during shipping.  I can't believe something that big and visible wouldn't be noticed at the factory!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Maybe they swapped the whole tailgate if that was dented during shipping.  I can't believe something that big and visible wouldn't be noticed at the factory!

Again, I considered that but the tailgate paint and the main body paint are an exact match even in bright sunlight and at all angles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Just had a closer look at the tailgate fixings and I can't see any signs of them ever being undone (eg. chipped paint on the nuts, "shadow" to one side of the hinges where they have been replaced in a slightly different position than they were originally, etc) so I've still got no idea. I did take a copy of the dealer's video of the car before it was taken down so I'll have a look at that, see if it was always like that or replaced after the video was shot.

• Like 1

Well, if it did leave the factory like that, I can't say much for thier quality control!  :laugh:

Surprised the original PDI didn't pick it up either.

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well, if it did leave the factory like that, I can't say much for thier quality control!  :laugh:

Surprised the original PDI didn't pick it up either.

What factory quality control. Is there such a thing? Lol 

• Haha 2

My Fiesta has privacy glass. I hate it, I would rather it was all normal glass, at least you are part way there. It's a bonus in my view.

My 2008 2.5T titx estate also has clear standard rear screen. My guess is it was probably a safety issue re reversing.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

You should either have tinted rear windows and rear screen or all clear. Ford have never mixed and matched. 

• Like 1

No blue glass front either. Glad about that though.

Oops, sorry I just noticed this is the focus forum. [emoji513]

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, isetta said:

My Fiesta has privacy glass. I hate it, I would rather it was all normal glass, at least you are part way there. It's a bonus in my view.

I sort of feel the same way. In my previous car I bought fitted shades that clipped inside the window frames and ended up removing the rear one because I found it a pain for night driving (it's always useful to get a good look at who's following you, especially at night - you don't want to get any unexpected blue lights flashing in your rear-view mirror).

• Like 1

I really miss privacy glass...makes night driving and winter sun driving so much nicer imo, also helps to keep the interior cooler in summer.  It's one of the things I'm really hoping to have on the next car again tbh.  

As for reversing...I managed for 4 years in the Mk2.5 with dark privacy glass, that useless single reverse light on the floor and no parking sensors...  :tongue: 

• Haha 1

It doesn't matter how long you've had it, it's still under warranty.

Claim miss-build and get it changed under warranty. But take it back to where you bought it from first

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 9:22 AM, DaveT70 said:

It doesn't matter how long you've had it, it's still under warranty.

Claim miss-build and get it changed under warranty. But take it back to where you bought it from first

Having had windows replaced before, my worry is that they'd muck it up or damage the paint and trim in the process.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

According to my asbuilt data, mine originally had blue tinted w/screen [emoji848]

• Confused 1

On 3/2/2020 at 8:56 PM, Pid16v said:

According to my asbuilt data, mine originally had blue tinted w/screen emoji848.png

How do you access that? Is there a website where you enter your VIN?

12 hours ago, Dark Andy said:

How do you access that? Is there a website where you enter your VIN?

FordETIS, you need to register as an IO (this is free and you just have to make up some information until the online form is happy).  You can use it without registering but the info is limited to the bare basics.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club