Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 battery is it a stop/start battery?

Alex.S

With my stop/start not working at all now, for whatever reason. I was looking at batteries online. Is the factory fitted battery a stop/start battery? And is it as powerful as money can buy ? And ultimately is it worth replacing? Works fine apart from the s/s

Have you had the stop start non working investigated why it not activating? Don't start jumping to conclusions the battery is at fault. Many reasons why stop start won't activate. 

4 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Why would Ford not fit the correct battery?

Cause it’s Ford

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

Have you looked at battery to see what it is?

Not yet. I understand heated windscreen etc will stop it working for obvious reasons, I see you’ve got a 16 mondeo, I know someone has the same car , had it since new, says s/s has always worked. My focus is 3 months s/s worked every time till last week. 

I have discussed this on here previously, short journeys is probably the reason but even day after a long run it’s not kickin in at all.

Not working cause of time of year, in summer it’ll be air con. Lucky if it works 2 seasons a year. Got the car for 3 years , don’t really want to just accept it doesn’t work. Not much point Ford adding the feature IMO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I have discussed this on here previously, short journeys is probably the reason but even day after a long run it’s not kickin in at all.

The Start/Stop system requires the battery to have a SOC (State Of Charge) of at least 80% to work. Even if all of the other requirements for the system to work are met the system will not work if the SOC is below 80%. The advanced Ford Smart Charge system with battery Monitoring system is based on an EFB battery. One of the characteristics of an EFB battery is that the higher the SOC the slower the battery charges. 

This is exactly the problem why the Start/Stop system does often not work on vehicles that are regularly used for short trips. During short trips the SOC of the battery decreases way below 80%. Except from the Start/Stop system no longer working this is not particularly noticeable (The car will start and function perfectly fine even if the SOC is only 40 %). Once the SOC is low on a vehicle that is mainly used for short trips a single longer trip will not be nearly enough to increase the SOC to over 80%. 

Also bear in mind that the Start/Stop system was primarily designed to reduce emmision figures which was required to meet emission regulations. In real life it barely brings anything 

• Like 3

This is why my wife's car SS works more often than mine, her commute is longer.

I really dont believe any manufacturer wouldn't fit the right kind of battery.

I YouTubed ‘stop/start not working’. From Mercedes to Audi to Hyundai and the rest...same issue.

I don’t commute so.....

Stop/Start just seems to have a mind of it's own. Due to recently doing some short journeys, my ss had stopped working. Wednesday, I did a 30ml each way trip to the office in good weather , no headlights on, mainly motorway but ss didnt reactivate once!. Yesterday I started out from home in appalling weather, lights on etc, within 3 miles ss decided it would work, go figure!

On 12/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, ianincheshire said:

Stop/Start just seems to have a mind of it's own. Due to recently doing some short journeys, my ss had stopped working. Wednesday, I did a 30ml each way trip to the office in good weather , no headlights on, mainly motorway but ss didnt reactivate once!. Yesterday I started out from home in appalling weather, lights on etc, within 3 miles ss decided it would work, go figure!

Thats probably due to the 60 mile round trip the day before. Hence why it started to work. Ive noticed ours works better when you switch off the sync 3 screen during short journeys. 

2 hours ago, Wino said:

Thats probably due to the 60 mile round trip the day before. Hence why it started to work. Ive noticed ours works better when you switch off the sync 3 screen during short journeys. 

I’m maybe completely wrong here but I’d think sync3 could probably run off a car battery for a week without any charging 🤔 btw I agree re the 60 mile trip. 

Thats probably due to the 60 mile round trip the day before. Hence why it started to work. Ive noticed ours works better when you switch off the sync 3 screen during short journeys. 

I quite agree that it was due to that, but my point was that why did it not start working towards the end of that journey ? Surely if the journey had recharged the battery sufficiently,  why did it only start working after another short journey which almost certainly would have not charged the battery any more!

Imo SS is a total gimmick designed to make official mpg figures look good.

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Imo SS is a total gimmick designed to make official mpg figures look good.

It was originally for CO2 figures, not MPG.  My 2.0 TDI Golf has it (Bluemotion Tech) and benefits from £30 tax instead of the usual £145 of the non-BMT models. :biggrin:  It's pretty much a requirement to meet the current CO2 regs now though, Ford wouldn't waste money fitting it if it was just for MPG figures lol.

It does have a mind of it's own though, so many different parameters need to be met that it's not as simple as assuming it'll work at the end of a longer journey.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club