Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Telematics Modem Unit Issue

Grant190492

So back in August I took delivery of a new MK4 Ford Focus ST Line X Estate and I registered for the free 3 Months of "Internet in the Car" via Vodafone (UK Carrier), connected up the FordPass Connect app on my phone and everything was working brilliantly. My "free" 3 months came to an end and my app also stopped working (I assumed this was simply because the car had no data plan to send info to the app remotely). I didn't get around to renewing my subscription until two weeks ago and when I renewed it I expected everything to go back to normal... and well it didn't

Vodafone confirmed that the issue was not their end, and despite several master resets, updating the sync software via USB and even popping the fuse out of the Telematics Modem (Fuse 11, Passenger Compartment) the car is still not communicating with the outside world. I have spoken with the FordPass team and received this response...

"I am emailing you to inform you that we have received an update from our technical team. They have advised that your vehicles TCU modem hasn’t responded for a few days. Therefore it looks like it could be your vehicle's TCU with an issue. I would advise contacting your local Ford dealership where they will be able to update your modem and clean the problem performing a process called SBD (Symptom Based Diagnostic)."

As it turns out the car is booked in for it's first service this coming week anyway so this side issue is now being looked at too... however I just wondered if anybody has had any similar issues?

BTW you dont need a data plan for the Ford Pass app to communicate with the car, just a working TCU modem. The data plan is ONLY for the car to act as a wifi hotspot. 

• Like 3

yes - fordpass does not use that free 3gb vodafone thing, in fact I have disabled the car hotspot feature on mine anyway.

• Like 1

I thought you had to have the data plan in order for the modem to work; seems a bit too coincidental that the last time my phone synced up with the car was the day my data ran out... it goes in the garage tomorrow so here’s hoping it’s a quick fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close out this thread the issue was with the Telematics Antenna which had developed a fault and stopped the car communicating with the outside world. It is being replaced under warranty. 

• Like 5

well done for having decency to come back and let us know the outcome.

so many little bugs could be cleared up (to help others) if owners check back / reply re the questions they raised.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well... The saga continues as the replacement Antenna hasn't fixed the issue. For whatever reason (and even my local garage haven't figured it out) the car isn't talking to Ford's servers which means all the features you get with Ford+ Connect aren't working. Ford are sending one of their field technicians to my local garage next week to try and resolve the issue. I'll keep you posted...

Update: Ford Technician has diagnosed the fault as an issue with Telematics Control Unit itself; so this is now down to be replaced when the garage can get a hold of the part because at the moment Ford themselves don't have this part in stock...

My FordPass Connect app didn’t work to begin with.  Ford couldn’t figure it out. After a whole day trying everything the Ford technical department could think of the technician decided to unplug the battery for a while..sorted. 

As mentioned above u don’t need the WiFi hotspot especially if you’ve data on your phone(s)

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2020 at 7:03 PM, Grant190492 said:

Update: Ford Technician has diagnosed the fault as an issue with Telematics Control Unit itself; so this is now down to be replaced when the garage can get a hold of the part because at the moment Ford themselves don't have this part in stock...

Hi mate, I appreciate priorities are elsewhere currently, but did this ever go anywhere and did you get a new TCU?

There's an entire thread on the "Emergency Call System Malfunction" around the Mk4 Focus, which is also linked to the TCU. Some have had success with replacements, mine got an update but it didn't fix it.

The Mk4 TCU seems to have multiple issues.

Ford and technical seem to be a bit of a joke.

I've never seen a company install Tec into their vehicles that is in such a poor state of operation. If this was the gaming industry this wouldn't even be "early access".

The roulette, that is my MK4 Focus is a joke. Sit in car and guess which piece of tec is going to play up today!! It's not that the items are faulty, it's just that the implementation is crap. They work one day/trip and not the next, totally random.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 7:03 PM, Grant190492 said:

I Have a similar problem with my car, ST Line X. Internet does not work, good modem signal (4 out of 5 bars). Picture next to the signal meter shows a picture of a car with a diagonal line though it.

Lost internet around 2 weeks ago, have sent e-mail to vodafone and now to Ford to try and find out what the problem is.

Have tried uninstallling Frod pass app and a master re-set on the car itself but know luck.

Have you had your car fixed and what faulty?

Regards

Car.png

The above may explain my FordPass app stopping syncing with the car on 22nd March 2020 (I bought the car on 18th December 2019) - again exactly 3 months gap. FordPass is rubbish anyway.

25 minutes ago, CallMeSteven said:

The above may explain my FordPass app stopping syncing with the car on 22nd March 2020 (I bought the car on 18th December 2019) - again exactly 3 months gap. FordPass is rubbish anyway.

Thanks for the info

I think the internet stopped after a ford pass app update, but I'm not sure when the last update was done.

The ford sync's with the car, but the modem does not let the internet work or perhaps authenticate with the Vodafone account.

Will await response from Ford.

How can you check when the last ford pass update came out?

Ford Sync is up to date

Regards

I just found out how to find the latest update for ford pass app.

This was 31st of March 2020

Regards

Wonder if this when the internet stopped working.

According to Google Play the last FordPass update was 1st April https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ford.fordpasseu   I have tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it (having to reenter the VIN) - but it's stilll refuses to synch after 22nd March.

Morning Steven

Is the latest update related to Android or an iPhone?

I have an Android phone which sync's no problem with the car.

Did you start the car engine and perhaps take it for a small run, the pop-up menu should come up shortly after to ask for permission to sync with your phone?

Keep safe

Regards

Hi Jonsey. Android...and I have driven the car many times since FordPass stopped syncing. I have always had the prompt about syncing to my phone come up and I always touch 'ok' to clear it. I haven't changed anything. So it's a complete mystery why it stopped on the 22nd March?!

Hello again

Have you tried a different mobile phone just incase there's a fault with the bluetooth connection. I know you can connect up to 12 different devices to your car.

If you have a second phone, load the App, input the VIN number & sign in.

Give it a go

Keep well & safe

Regards

Jonsey

PS, going to have a plaY tomorrow to try and figure out why the internet id not working, no reply off Vodafone  🤣

The bluetooth works fine in the car. Android apps work as well and sync 3 picks up the phones bluetooth immediately.

I’ve experienced similar issues. Started receiving intermittent “emergency call malfunction” warnings on my Focus ST Line-X (19) which seemed to resolve themselves randomly overnight.

Eventually I took my car to Ford to update which worked for a week or two but the Ford Pass app on iOS no longer connects and recognises my location or car start/lock/unlock features. The app keeps telling me to get a cup of tea while it updates and have deleted and reinstalled several times.

I’ve done another manual update downloading the latest software from Fords website about a week ago which loaded successfully but still have not able to use any voice functions on the car with the never ended in “emergency call malfunction” warning. Pretty pathetic when so many of the cars tech functions relying on this to work the car software is so buggy.

Any support/tips on a fix would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Have booked my car in for diagnostics in a couple of weeks at a Ford dealer. Hopefully they will solve the issue.

Vodafone not much help

I'll keep my fingers crossed

😎😎😎

Yes, after 8~9 weeks out of action the WIFI hot spot works,😀😀

After around 21 Emails back and forth from Vodafone the issue was with them. Received an Email this morning saying they are working on the issue and will be resolved in 24 hrs.

Must have been a authentication problem on their 4G network of sort, have requested to have a 2 month extension for the contract due to the issue. I'll see what sort of response i'll get.

Keep well and safe

Happy motoring

Jonsey

No problems at all with the Focus (15 month old, great little engine 1.5T dragon engine (182PS))

😀😀😀

As a good will gesture Vodafone has given me a 50GB / 365 day extension after my current contract finishes this coming Spetember.

Happy with the result

😎😎😎

• 1 month later...

Grant, did you manage to get this fixed,  I have also had a problem within a month of me buying the car, and no one seemed to haven an answer, all said I need to uninstall re boot, do a software up date etc etc,  I have now just had a call with someone and ford who said I need a SBD and my TCU needed to be repaired, replaced or something as that is where the problem will lie I am so hopeful they can fix it,  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club