Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking forward to a battery Focus?

StephenFord

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Reactor ok, but the car would outlast the radiaton contaminated owner .lol 

There's a added advantage of a reactor, it provides it's own lighting ;)

12 hours ago, StephenFord said:

How is he going to get a can of ‘electric’?

😂😂😂😂😂 Brilliant.

• Like 1

Here's a report and a short video on an interesting possible alternative to battery power. There are a lot of alternative approaches to environmentally friendly energy storage being researched and there could be an unexpected breakthrough at any time. Maybe we should hold off wholesale EV infrastructure installation until the direction of the technology becomes clearer.

• Like 2

Some and I'll repeat that word "some" of the issue with charging and generating the electric will be over come by the fact we have surplus supply from wind power at night when most people will be doing the charging.

The range of electric cars is increasing all the time, there are now several that do over 200 miles a change and very few people are doing that mileage daily.

As for batteries the Toyota Prius is over 20 years old now, yes a hybrid but I don't recall and news about thousands of dead batteries from MK1s.

Also I'm sure I saw a documentary where a the entire power supply for an entertainment arena was coming from banks of used EV car batteries.

There are obvious problems with mass ownership of EV, such as charging point for people who live in flats and terrace house, but we can't continue with fossil fuels so either we find a clean green solution for private transport, or (which I fully expect) the vast majority will have to use clean public transport.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

... the vast majority will have to use clean public transport.

Fine if you live in a city with good public transport. My 15 mile journey to work takes 25 minutes by car but would take 15 hours and 23 minutes by public transport.

To arrive at work by 8:00am on Monday I would need to leave home at 4:34pm on Sunday. The route involves 46 minutes of walking, 3 bus journeys totalling 2 hours 34 minutes, 2 train journeys totalling 1 hour 12 minutes and lots of waiting around for connections. There would be no point leaving work during the week because I would have to set off back to work before I had left!

I have discounted taxis in the above as there wouldn't be any environmental saving by travelling in a different car.

• Like 3

Exactly.  Door to door car commute for me 20/25 mins.

A realistic estimate for public transport is 2 hours minimum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pcaouolte said:

Fine if you live in a city with good public transport. My 15 mile journey to work takes 25 minutes by car but would take 15 hours and 23 minutes by public transport.

Obviously we don't know the exact details of your journey but knowing how the rail network in Lincs was decimated in the 60's and 70's I can understand you not being able to do it by rail. Surprising there's no bus option though - but this is the sort of issue that will need to be addressed if we are to be persuaded out of private car use. 

We have a few similar issues here - relatively short journeys that take 15 minutes by car but have no direct public transport link so 2/3 buses and a couple of hours, yet there are others where I can jump on the bus right outside my door and go 60/70 miles direct a lot quicker and easier than driving. Nothing as extreme as your example though!

• Like 1

I did say vast majority and not everyone. Public transport will have to be looked at, and that is happening very slowly in places,  Manchester for example the city metro lines are being expanded to the out of town Trafford Center, the environment probably wasn't the  deciding factor but  should help stop a few car journeys.

We will have to change the way we move around, the problem will be if government both central and local can move quick enough and are prepared to spend the money necessary, Germany have taken a good tiny step by reducing the price of long distance train travel .

Not every job can be done from home ( mine could not, I have to be there) but many office jobs could be done from home if companies setup the correct systems, we have several staff that drive to work and sit at a computer screen, do not interact with other people, then drive home, there is no reason what so ever that they need to be in the building.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Surprising there's no bus option though - but this is the sort of issue that will need to be addressed if we are to be persuaded out of private car use. 

There is a bus option but if I catch the first bus in the morning it gets me to work over 2 hours late and I would have to leave an hour early to catch the last bus home. I Wouldn't have a job long enough for the inconvenience to cause me  a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2020 at 12:09 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Obviously we don't know the exact details of your journey but knowing how the rail network in Lincs was decimated in the 60's and 70's I can understand you not being able to do it by rail. Surprising there's no bus option though - but this is the sort of issue that will need to be addressed if we are to be persuaded out of private car use. 

We have a few similar issues here - relatively short journeys that take 15 minutes by car but have no direct public transport link so 2/3 buses and a couple of hours, yet there are others where I can jump on the bus right outside my door and go 60/70 miles direct a lot quicker and easier than driving. Nothing as extreme as your example though!

It's even worse for us folk in Yorkshire we're stuck with Northern Rail.....the worst train company in the country AND the crappiest rolling stock!

53 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

It's even worse for us folk in Yorkshire we're stuck with Northern Rail.....the worst train company in the country AND the crappiest rolling stock!

Yeah - they were supposed to be phasing out those Pacer trains years ago but I saw one yesterday so they've made it into the 2020's! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah - they were supposed to be phasing out those Pacer trains years ago but I saw one yesterday so they've made it into the 2020's! 

Yup, they were 💩 when they were introduced and they have NOT got any better!

• Haha 1

The Petrol & Diesel ban only concerns vehicles that are 100% powered by an ICE.

MHEVs solve this issue as they give a bit of boost, save a bit of fuel and have slightly cleaner emissions as a 100% ICE. And no need to charge

MHEV technology will get better and better over the next 10 yrs

MHEV is the future, the ICE will live on, MHEV Diesels will be the one's to watch. Clean emissions, great performance and amazing MPG

100% electric is just a fad for wealthy people, it won't last, plus, how are all the governments going to recoup the lost Fuel Duty revenue if everyone goes 100% electric.

Long live the ICE

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club