Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towing electrical

bruceyrk

Hi, I have a Ranger 2.2 6sp 2012.

I purchased my Ranger without towing equipment i then fitted 2nd hand towing equipment from a 2016 model, everything fitted perfect including the electrics which just plugged in.

However no trailer lights worked.

I have been told that this needs Ford to switch this function ON in the ECU, Is this correct?

Does anyone know if someone other than Ford can do this? OR if there is a simpler solution?

THANKS in advance.

it does indeed need switching on. but you can do it yourself with a laptop, forscan software( free) and an elm327 adapter (£16 ish) that connects laptop to car

40 minutes ago, iantt said:

it does indeed need switching on. but you can do it yourself with a laptop, forscan software( free) and an elm327 adapter (£16 ish) that connects laptop to car

Thanks for your reply,

I have the Forscan lite on my phone & the ELM327 wireless. i have not used these as yet.

Is it a straight forward process? can you give me any advise or guidance through the process?

Many thanks

nope, just checked on my mondeo. 

need laptop version. wifi elm should be ok . 

Yep. Once you've downloaded it , you will need to enable trailer tow attachment and trailer socket type from what I recall. It's in bcm configuration. 

Many many thanks for your help much appreciated.

Happy new year.

i have another issue which is with the steering, there is a vibration even at really low speeds almost like tyres out of balance!

Any ideas what this could be?

Help with forscan.... Its asking me for an activation code, where do i get that from?

i have downloaded the program & inserted the Elm327 & its saying that iam not connected..?

On 12/31/2019 at 2:46 PM, iantt said:

Yep. Once you've downloaded it , you will need to enable trailer tow attachment and trailer socket type from what I recall. It's in bcm configuration. 

i have finally made connection with the car, but cant find how to switch the trailer function on......

You not found it yet? I will look at my Mondeo using forscan tomorrow and see where you need to navigate too

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club