Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo glowing red !!

Eng_Ahmad1986

Hello to all , this is my turbo after some spirited driving and some WOT , is this normal ? And is my turbo OK after pushing it hard like that ?!! Mine is ecoboost 1.0 100ps auto completely stock and not remapped 🙂🙂 thank you

C4E499D9-AE24-45A4-8E88-6A336765EC45.jpeg

Hi, this is normal but you should never turn the engine off straight away after reaching your destination, if you have been blasting about - that will kill any turbo over time as the oil will get cooked and carbonise, ideally,  you should always keep the revs low so the turbo is running “off boost” for the last bit of your journey,  also ideally you should also let your engine warm up before revving up above say 2500 rpm to allow the lubricating oil to get up to temperature. 

• Like 2

I would be interested to know if the Stop/Start worked when you came to a halt, or if it was disabled because of the excess heat. It is a bit frightening if it did work as per KING KUGA's post above.

My first car was a very old Hillman Hunter whose engine was only about 50 odd BHP and the Exhaust Manifold sometimes glowed red hot on that after a hard Motorway run.

• Like 1

thank you all for these replies, actually I didn't take a chance and turned the auto start stop off before I came to a stop, so I don't know if the auto start stop would be activated or not 😄 I'm aware of the idling rule and I let it idle for about 5 minutes to cool down before switching the engine off, I' aware also of the warm up procedure, but what made me worried is that glowing of the turbo, I hope the guys at ford know what they are doing and they have configured their map to not hurting the turbo by giving it too much boost , I hope they know that under these conditions with a completely stock map that the turbo would  more likely glow, and that this is within normal operation, I hope so 🙂 

it should be noted also that after I opened the hood to check the turbo and found it glowing like that, I closed the hood and continued driving again gently for a couple of miles and stopped again to check the turbo, at that time it returned dark again !! , so I think it cools down pretty fast 🙂 

• Like 1

I don't know also if the exhaust gas temperature on that engine is monitored or not so as not to damage the turbo ?!! 

I haven't got auto start stop on my current car but on two previous fiestas I've found that after a fast run up the M1 from Nottingham to Wakefield it didn't work.   As soon as the engine had cooled down a bit it worked again.

• Like 2

I remember at one point, years ago, there was a bit of a "thing" about cooking stuff on the hot parts of the engine. I actually tried it once - wrapped a steak in foil and secured it over the exhaust manifold and it was perfect when I got home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the classics that I drive (when I get a chance), the turbos can even glow orange nearly yellow, so don't worry about a bit of red glow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

I don't know also if the exhaust gas temperature on that engine is monitored or not so as not to damage the turbo ?!! 

I don't know about the 1.0 engine, but I was doing some live monitoring (trying to catch a GPF Regeneration to satisfy my curiosity) on my 1.5, the new 3 Cylinder one, and the Raw Exhaust Temperature peaked at just over 600c, the Catalyst Temperature around 750c. This was on 10 mile Motorway run with a steady Throttle at 70-75 MPH. I'm sure they would have been a lot higher if it if it had been a more spirited drive.

There may be other parameters that you can monitor with FORScan relating to the Turbo, but I have not explored them yet.  

• Like 1

Would this happen during normal town driving, with some faster sections. Just wondering as I want to look after the car, and do lots of short journeys. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Would this happen during normal town driving, with some faster sections. Just wondering as I want to look after the car, and do lots of short journeys. 

for me id doesn't happen during normal city driving or even high cruising on moderate speed, at 62 mph for example, but that happened to me during a full throttle acceleration up to redline, followed by  steady highway cruising at high speed, 112 mph, for about 10 minutes !!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club