Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I continue with car? Would you?

ThePowster

Evening fellas.

OK so I have a dilemma.

Bought the 09 plate mk2.5 (or is it mk 2?) Focus 1.6 TDCi about 4 years ago. Ran perfect for all that time only needing 1 battery, was mapped n gutted when i bought it with 99k on the clock, really cheap motoring, then all of a sudden I am getting bills.

Recently my instrument cluster needed repair - £106

Then I needed a new alternator, belt and tensioner - £180 (absolute sod to do, don't do it people and never again).

I need 2 new front tyres and 2 of my alloy wheels are seriously bent, bought it like that, am surprised a tyre takes to the rims to be honest it's that badly bent.

Car has 124,780 on the clock, cambelt due at 125k.

Body is showing signs of rust now.

So my dilemma is.. do I keep throwing money at it, get the cambelt done, water pump, second hand set of alloys and tyres which is gonna cost me a small fortune, but then what, the gearbox could go and I get odd clutch judder when it's cold in a morning, only very slight, always done it, feels like a stuck clutch release bearing or something, it soon passes and doesn't do it again.

I don't want this to be an endless money pit and I am not sure if I should cut my losses, or invest heavily in it 😶

Maybe it's a case of, better the devil you know. I could buy another car and have to do all this to it anyway, least this way I know it's been done.

Oh I have some error codes still, some battery smart charging rubbish which I don't have the energy to look at, at the mo it's running, 12.5v no ignition and 14.8v when running so am leaving well alone for now.

I just don't know what to do moving forward. I am expecting the cambelt to snap anyday now. I could buy a Yamaha Thunderace on evilbay for a grand, keep it in my living room and work on it eeeeasy in the warmth with the kettle on. Just if I invest in this and then sommat big goes, clutch, gearbox, I dunno I'll have ramped up loads of dolla on credit cards which still need to be paid and no transport.

So questions..

1) What's a cambelt and waterpump cost roughly and where would I go to get this done?

2) What kinda mileages can I expect outta a 9 plate with a new belt n water pump done? I hear these engines are not the best. If they all gonna implode around the 160k mark anyway am I not best cutting my losses?

3) Anyone wanna buy a focus 😄

4) What would you do in this situation?

Bah humbug... fed up 😯

on most of this I don't know what to say, but with regard to wheels, if it was me I wouldn't buy alloys, i would buy steel wheels. they don't bend so easily and are cheaper.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ThePowster said:

Evening fellas.

OK so I have a dilemma.

Bought the 09 plate mk2.5 (or is it mk 2?) Focus 1.6 TDCi about 4 years ago. Ran perfect for all that time only needing 1 battery, was mapped n gutted when i bought it with 99k on the clock, really cheap motoring, then all of a sudden I am getting bills.

Recently my instrument cluster needed repair - £106

Then I needed a new alternator, belt and tensioner - £180 (absolute sod to do, don't do it people and never again).

I need 2 new front tyres and 2 of my alloy wheels are seriously bent, bought it like that, am surprised a tyre takes to the rims to be honest it's that badly bent.

Car has 124,780 on the clock, cambelt due at 125k.

Body is showing signs of rust now.

So my dilemma is.. do I keep throwing money at it, get the cambelt done, water pump, second hand set of alloys and tyres which is gonna cost me a small fortune, but then what, the gearbox could go and I get odd clutch judder when it's cold in a morning, only very slight, always done it, feels like a stuck clutch release bearing or something, it soon passes and doesn't do it again.

I don't want this to be an endless money pit and I am not sure if I should cut my losses, or invest heavily in it 😶

Maybe it's a case of, better the devil you know. I could buy another car and have to do all this to it anyway, least this way I know it's been done.

Oh I have some error codes still, some battery smart charging rubbish which I don't have the energy to look at, at the mo it's running, 12.5v no ignition and 14.8v when running so am leaving well alone for now.

I just don't know what to do moving forward. I am expecting the cambelt to snap anyday now. I could buy a Yamaha Thunderace on evilbay for a grand, keep it in my living room and work on it eeeeasy in the warmth with the kettle on. Just if I invest in this and then sommat big goes, clutch, gearbox, I dunno I'll have ramped up loads of dolla on credit cards which still need to be paid and no transport.

So questions..

1) What's a cambelt and waterpump cost roughly and where would I go to get this done?

2) What kinda mileages can I expect outta a 9 plate with a new belt n water pump done? I hear these engines are not the best. If they all gonna implode around the 160k mark anyway am I not best cutting my losses?

Bah humbug... fed up 😯

Hi Matt,

All those things you've listed can go on any car you buy.....unless you've got the money to get a nearly new car then I would stick with it* as they won't need replacing again and if you bought a new one on 80 or 90k, whats to say an alternator won't go on that? Cars are money pits.  My 1.6 tdci (no dpf) is on 172k now and still going strong.  battery, alternator, clutch, injector seals, EGR all been replaced.

*assuning regular servicing/ interim oil changes?

As for the cambelt & waterpump, I would DIY it - I did on mine and I'm no expert. As cambelts go it's quite straightforward.  Tom has a guide on here if you want the link?

Having said all that, it's not my money in this case but in my own situation I intend to run my mk3 1.6tdci (121k) and my mk 2.5 into the ground.  I might even have a go at rebuilding the mk2.5's engine if something serious happens like the piston rings get shot.  Be a great learning opportunity!   

• Like 4

Thanks fellas feel a lot better reading that 🙂

isetta - never knew about steel wheels, so had a look and can get some nice new silver ones £59 quid each, not bad at all, but then 240 for those and tyres eeekk am talking another 450 all in for a set of wheels n tyres, still ya want new wheels they never gonna be dirt cheap, by time I made my focus right I could have bought an RS 😀

Albert27 - Talking sense there mate. Wow 172k and still going strong, that gives me some comfort. Yeah I do the oil once a year in summer last one was really clean and used flush. Only did about 6k last year. Put K&N on there, done fuel filter for good measure. Ohh I'd love the link for the DIY job yes please. Alternator was a pain though so if it's harder than that I am probably out my comfort zone. 

52 minutes ago, ThePowster said:

Thanks fellas feel a lot better reading that 🙂

isetta - never knew about steel wheels, so had a look and can get some nice new silver ones £59 quid each, not bad at all, but then 240 for those and tyres eeekk am talking another 450 all in for a set of wheels n tyres, still ya want new wheels they never gonna be dirt cheap, by time I made my focus right I could have bought an RS 😀

Albert27 - Talking sense there mate. Wow 172k and still going strong, that gives me some comfort. Yeah I do the oil once a year in summer last one was really clean and used flush. Only did about 6k last year. Put K&N on there, done fuel filter for good measure. Ohh I'd love the link for the DIY job yes please. Alternator was a pain though so if it's harder than that I am probably out my comfort zone. 

What did you find difficult with the alternator?  I've not had to do one yet as it went on mine before I was into fixing cars so I got the garage to do it.  It is a job I will attempt on the mk3 when it fails though so I'd be interested to know to prep myself......

Ok here's the link to @TomsFocus guide 

Here's the link to mine with the problems I encountered 

• Like 1

Oh god the alternator 😖

Took me 4 days sat out on the tarmac in the dark and rain. Hated every single second of it.

You can get the old one out from the top of the engine, but there is no way the new one will go in that way, I tried and I mashed it up, too many scratches and gouges in it. Installation has to be from the bottom up.

Wheel has to come off, wheel arch liner, under engine plastic tray thing, it's a real fiddly job, hardly any room inside the engine to get 17mm spanners in there, can't get purchase on the bolts, god knows what Ford was thinking. Took me 1 hour to get one bolt out that's on the blind side of the alternator, like 2cm of room just to get a spanner in and it's blind doing it, no chance of torquing it up to spec, managed the 2 outer bolts torqued but not the two hidden ones so just nipped um up tiiiiight.

Thanks a lot for those links, appreciate you taking your time this evening to find me those, thanks, I'll go make a cuppa and give um a thorough read :thumbsup:

Oh dear.... got excited then but it's well above my level of expertise that one 😵 even with an empty garage and all the tools in the world I still wouldn't have a clue lol chance of me doing it right would be slim, to none, would make a good metallic sound though when I'd go to start it 🤣 I might just run her till she pops, bet there isn't many miles in her tho shes at the limit.

Gonna have to be garage job this one 😤

18 minutes ago, ThePowster said:

Oh dear.... got excited then but it's well above my level of expertise that one 😵 even with an empty garage and all the tools in the world I still wouldn't have a clue lol chance of me doing it right would be slim, to none, would make a good metallic sound though when I'd go to start it 🤣 I might just run her till she pops, bet there isn't many miles in her tho shes at the limit.

Gonna have to be garage job this one 😤

Ah no worries mate.  It is a lot less stressful getting the garage to do stuff.  I recently abandoned some control arms and sent it to the garage.  Couldn't be bothered with it as it wasn't going my way!  Thanks for the heads up on the alternator :thumbsup:

Not wishing to worry you but just one word of warning on the timing belt - they are known to fail early (80k ish).  I would get it done asap seen as yours has lasted so long.  On the mk3, which I got a reputable independent garage to do, I was charged £280 including the water pump.

• Thanks 1

My pleasure mate. I have loads of pics which may help. If you want them could resize them and fire them across on email. Let me know if that would help.

280 doesn't sound too bad. I'll ring around see what I can find. Thanks again mate :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThePowster said:

My pleasure mate. I have loads of pics which may help. If you want them could resize them and fire them across on email. Let me know if that would help.

280 doesn't sound too bad. I'll ring around see what I can find. Thanks again mate 🙂

I'll let you know Matt, Cheers.

At least you sound a bit handy with a spanner and that's all to the good when you drive a used car and need to keep it alive without throwing yourself and your wallet to the mercy of someone who needs to make a living out of you. If my mk3 Mondeo alternator bolts are anything like yours, then the bolt heads are kind of half height and a normal socket has got a bevel in the opening so there's hardly anything to grip  the head of the bolt. I had to hunt around to buy a socket without this stupid bevel. Also, buy a set or 2 of 6-sided sockets as the common 12-sided ones are great for rounding off slightly rusty nuts and bolts. At least my engine has a timing chain supposedly good for 500,000 miles. Currently on 311k but now with other issues so I'm at a similar crossroad to you.  I feel your dilemma!

• Like 1

The 2 bolts at the rear of the alternator barely get an open ended c-spanner in, and when you manage to fluke it it's blind taking it out, no chance of socket in there or even a ratchet spanner.

311k is good mileage, yep sounds like similar boat. 

12 hours ago, ThePowster said:

Bah humbug... fed up 😯

1) £300-£350 at an indy garage.  Obviously more at the Ford dealer.

2) How long is a piece of string?  There are some high milers about now but it wasn't common to see many for sale above 100k when I owned mine!

3) God no...been there, done that!  :tongue: 

4) I'd sell it and buy something else.  But only if you've got the budget to buy something 'better' overall.  No point swapping one old high miler playing cambelt roulette for another similar one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

3) God no...been there, done that!

Only you could get away with that comment on a focus forum 😄 

• Haha 2

The timing belt and pump is a walk in the park compared to that bloomin alternator.

Lock it all down with pins, , swap out the belt, pully and pump, torque it up, pins out, (dont forget the flywheel) couple of turns, do the pins line up? yes, good to go, no, adjust belt and try again. If you want o be really anal about it you could count the teeth between markers

there really isnt a lot that can go wrong

in any case, its better the devil you know imo. Get a new car and your starting from scratch

• Like 1

Anyone got a link to a decent video/guide on doing the alternator?

lol some good advice here 😁

Damn Dee you make it sound so easy, almost convinced myself to have a go then. Thing is, I can't even make a rice pudding properly, how am I going to successfully replace a cambelt 😟

I don't understand the terminology, what pins, what flywheel and to think I could not adjust something correctly on top of that, eeekkkk = engine clatter clatter splat, done lol.

By time I done cambelt, pump n fluids, or if garage do it, then steel wheels n tyres, .. I could buy a Beemer on fleabay for 995, not much in it. Least I'd look boss for a week driving that around until that imploded lol.

I guess me options now then are:

1. Man up, buy the parts, have a go. It's only adult meccano ffs, bolt this unbolt that etc

2. Sell a kidney and pay an independent garage and trust them to a) know what they doing and b) do it right

3. Buy that ZZ-R 1200 on fleabay for 1.5k and store the focus until I grow a pair and have a go at it over time

4. Look into public transport. As they say, you'll never have any money when ya have a woman or a car, nothing further from the truth.

I az got some thinking to do ...👍

TBH, mechanically there's nothing too worrying on that list - those are the kind of things that you'd expect to replace on a car of that age and mileage. What might be the deciding factor is rust - once the dreaded tin worm sets in, the repair costs will creep up. 

Depending on the bodywork condition, there's probably a fair amount of life left in it. Of course, if you're just looking for justification to buy a new shiny, that's a different story 🙂

• Like 2

Spoke to a new local mechanic today, mobile one. He's coming out to me pad to do it for me in 2 weeks, £280.

I had kinda decided this morning I was going to have a go myself but it was bitter cold out there so I thought nah, Had it been summer defo, I'd have had the right temp and plenty of daylight hours to do it.

Just got me smart charging ecu error codes to look at now since the new alternator install, oh and some new wheels and tyres 😀😫

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThePowster said:

Spoke to a new local mechanic today, mobile one. He's coming out to me pad to do it for me in 2 weeks, £280.

I had kinda decided this morning I was going to have a go myself but it was bitter cold out there so I thought nah, Had it been summer defo, I'd have had the right temp and plenty of daylight hours to do it.

Just got me smart charging ecu error codes to look at now since the new alternator install, oh and some new wheels and tyres 😀😫

My contribution to this thread is doing an awkward job for the first time never goes according to plan and I have been known to vent my frustration 😤 on what seems to be an insurmountable puzzle but weirdly doing the same job over again becomes a walk in the park👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club